Author Topic: Northern Pike as Table fare  (Read 7568 times)

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Northern Pike as Table fare
« Reply #60 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:52 PM »
I absolutely love baked pike. It is about even with fried walleye. What I do is cut a full fillet, not just the little bite size chunks. Line a baking pan with foil, and cut bacon strips in half and put a layer on the fillet. Then I layer all kinds of vegetables on top like onions, carrots, celery, even cut up potatoes. Now that I think about it, I think some rice and tomatoes might be good on it too. Then I spice it up with salt, pepper, garlic, brown surgar, whatever you like. I bake it at 350 degrees F until everything starts to brown.

When frying, I have a hard time finding anything better than just flour. I rinse the fillet, and roll it in flour. Then I fry it like anything else. I have never liked any store bought breading. It always makes the fish taste too much like an over done chicken nugget. I love plain old flour, sometimes with spices in it.
-Tom

Offline Ches.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 18, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Thomas
I don't fry Northerns that much, but the rest of the fish I do.  I like just flower also as the base, but then put it in the refrigerator covered for 6 hours.  The flower turns to dough, then I shake them in a bag of bread crumbs or ground up saltines.  Still a thin coat but browns vs. just staying white.

Offline ceport

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Sounds good to me!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #63 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Just had a fish fry with some friends couple weeks ago, 10 guys and pounds of perch, walleye, crappie along with a few pike and of course beer.. All everyone ever raves about is how good pike are... We usually slice them into good size fingers.. Typically the general consensus is pike in the 28" to 35 " range are top notch table fare..

That said i only keep very few a season maybe 3..  Filleting them is pretty easy once you do it a few times..

A great fish to get used to how to fillet pike is Pickerel.. they are just smaller versions of them and have a pretty similar taste..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.