Author Topic: Northern Pike as Table fare  (Read 7569 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Northern Pike as Table fare
« Reply #30 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:26 AM »

he is right about selectively harvesting pike the bigger fish have more meat and the y bone is not as bad to get out of them you don't need tweezers to fillet it.  plus  your not wasting more meat in between the y bone then you get in fillets with the larger pike... let them grow is always the best thing i found to do...  unless there over populated then there is no need to fillet a small pike 24 inch may be a legal limit in michiagn  i don't fillet them till at least 32 + inches at least.  not saying any one can't fillet the 24 inch fish it just your better off with the bigger fish in my experience too.

Good to know, I ate 4 Pike that were only 22-24" and I found them to be tasty. I will have to try it on the bigger pike next time.
<===Lefty===

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Love them, but I have not experimented much with different ways of cooking them.  I grew up on them.  Used to take fishing trips up north for pike with my dad every year and our catch was our food.  I am really bad at cleaning fish too, so I also don't mess with keeping the smaller ones or take a lot each year.  Usually only keep 2-3 a year, put the rest back, but that is not because of taste.  Great eating if you can learn to clean and debone them. 

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:46 AM »
I gotta be honest, when I saw this thread I was ready for some serious pike bashing. But it seems like most posts on here are pro pike and that's great. I eat lots of pike, from 2 lbs all the way up. I do have a tip that I haven't seen mentioned here: I found that whacking the pike with a prop wrench as soon as I get it on the ice keeps it from being slimy. When they lay there and stress out the slime seems to accrue and slide off. Some guys keep them alive in another hole with a stringer, but I whack 'em and stack 'em and they don't become slimy. Also, for guys new at filleting them, it's much easier the next day after rigormortis sets in. I put mine in the fridge overnight.

For the guy that posted the pattie recipe...Thanks!! I'll try it.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:52 AM »
Great tip on killing them and not letting them stress out.
<===Lefty===

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:10 AM »
take the y bone out of a northern and you'd be hard pressed to get me to not eat it.  i think its sweeter than walleye and crappie.  kind of like bluegill. 

Offline Ches.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I like most fish, but I think Perch and Eye's are over rated.  I like Blue gill and crappie Fried in oil the most but will never pass up a Northern.  Deboned, wrapped in foil tight over a bed of onions and spices with butter of course and cooked at low temp.  Fish steams, onions caramelize,  and the flesh stays nice and firm  Fist time I made this, two guys could not make it up to deer camp due to the snow so my buddy and I ate a 34"er and a 39"er.  We were stuffed but happy.  FYI, I am going to try the Fish Patty receipt.  I don't have it with me, but picked Northern tastes as good if not better than store bought herring.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:25 AM »
1)Perch
2)Perch
3)Perch
4)Walleye
5)Crappie

Pike didn't make my list.   ;D

Couldn't agree MORE! 

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:30 AM »
I enjoy eating pike. While its not one of my favorites like perch, walleye, gills, or crappies its not bad breaded and fried up. However here is my favorite way to eat pike. It's something my grandpa always use to call "poor man's crab".   Take your deboned pike fillets and cut them into 1" cubes. Drop them in some boiling salt water. It only takes a little salt.  The meat turns paper white and fluffs up like a lobster tail.  The chunks cook fast so don't over cook them or they will become rubbery.   After you boil them  dip them in some melted butter.  It is awesome tablefare....if it makes it that far. I almost never fry pike unless it was a little guy all by himself and I am frying up the rest of my catch at the same time.   If I had a choice I always make grandpa's poor mans crab.
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:37 AM »
I enjoy eating pike. While its not one of my favorites like perch, walleye, gills, or crappies its not bad breaded and fried up. However here is my favorite way to eat pike. It's something my grandpa always use to call "poor man's crab".   Take your deboned pike fillets and cut them into 1" cubes. Drop them in some boiling salt water. It only takes a little salt.  The meat turns paper white and fluffs up like a lobster tail.  The chunks cook fast so don't over cook them or they will become rubbery.   After you boil them  dip them in some melted butter.  It is awesome tablefare....if it makes it that far. I almost never fry pike unless it was a little guy all by himself and I am frying up the rest of my catch at the same time.   If I had a choice I always make grandpa's poor mans crab.

Poor mans lobster. Mmmmm. Havnt had that in a while. I think ill keep a few pike on Friday.

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:42 AM »
Pike are very good !!!!!!!!!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:07 AM »
cool cool cool cant wait to get a pike now and try some of this :icefish:

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:10 AM »
lost my post,  We do poor mans lobster, either with sprite, or if like a little saltier, bullion. and for crying out loud, go to you tube , they are easy to de-bone, no longer an excuse

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:41 AM »
now you guys made me hungry and started thinking...

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:05 AM »
My dad would make fish chowder with them.  Any small bones you miss just melt in the cooking process.  Good Stuff.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:34 AM »
I also wanted to add that I don't fry pike, it dries out too much. If I cook it in a frying pan, I drizzle a little olive oil and salt and pepper it. Then watch it change colors til it's white and get it off the heat right away. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:44 AM »

he is right about selectively harvesting pike the bigger fish have more meat and the y bone is not as bad to get out of them you don't need tweezers to fillet it.  plus  your not wasting more meat in between the y bone then you get in fillets with the larger pike... let them grow is always the best thing i found to do...  unless there over populated then there is no need to fillet a small pike 24 inch may be a legal limit in michiagn  i don't fillet them till at least 32 + inches at least.  not saying any one can't fillet the 24 inch fish it just your better off with the bigger fish in my experience too.

There is no need to clean a 35" pike. I can get enough meat for a meal for 3 off one 25" fish. I keep 22-28" range. Bigger than that are prime breeders so they go back. Over 35" is a trophy. If you find it hard to clean a 24" fish then you need more practice. Its easy as pie.

That would be like saying not to keep any walleyes under 25" because they are harder to clean. Throw the breeders and trophy fish back and eat the eaters.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ches.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:48 AM »
It depends on where you live and the size of fish in the area.  To me, 35" is not a trophy, it's a good sized fish thro.  Mid 40's and up is something I would talk about.

Offline SKaquaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:05 PM »
There is no need to clean a 35" pike. I can get enough meat for a meal for 3 off one 25" fish. I keep 22-28" range. Bigger than that are prime breeders so they go back. Over 35" is a trophy. If you find it hard to clean a 24" fish then you need more practice. Its easy as pie.

That would be like saying not to keep any walleyes under 25" because they are harder to clean. Throw the breeders and trophy fish back and eat the eaters.

X2
Why someone would kill a 10-15Lb fish but throw the eaters back is beyond me....and I agree 40+" is worth talking about but nonetheless....
Pike make excellent table fare  whether baked, battered (dry or wet) & deep fried, or used for Poor Man's lobster they are worth trying out if you haven't already.  Help firm up your filets by soaking in salt water for a couple hours first then rinsing before you cook them.

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:11 PM »
I don't catch enough to be proficient at cutting out the y bones so I usually make a mess.  I've usually fried them but am going to try pickling (think pickled Herring) one from a recent trip.

I've never tried to do Poor Man's Lobster but I will now.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:41 PM »
To add to the discussion on eating big pike, a 15 pound pike is something like 15-20 years old. A 24" pike is around 3 or 4 years old. Do you really want to be eating 20 years worth of mercury and other water contaminates? Releasing the small ones and killing the big ones is the opposite of what you want to do if you want trophy size pike, however, I will never judge someone for keeping fish.
-Tom

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:31 PM »
I don't catch enough to be proficient at cutting out the y bones so I usually make a mess.  I've usually fried them but am going to try pickling (think pickled Herring) one from a recent trip.

While it wasn't for me quite a few old guys from my youth in WI did this.  Especially with the hammer handles.  Said the bones softened enough to eat.  Please consider these guys also enjoyed a big slice of head cheese on a cracker with their beer.  Their palates were not very discerning.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:22 PM »
I've pickled pike before and it is "off da hook". Layer of onions, layer of pike, over and over then top it off with sweet brine with cloves.....mmmmmm.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline alf1960

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:45 PM »
When we go to Canada fishing I actually prefer the northern over the walleye. We usually try and eat the ones 24-27 inches just below the slot. A little practice and it is easy to get the Y bones out.
Gone Fishing!!

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:13 PM »
My son and I both love pike.  Care for them well and reap the rewards of a most excellent meal.  I Y bone them out remove All red meat and all the lateral line.  Keep washing fillets till water runs clean.  Fry immediately for best results.  Last weekend I cleaned two pike and a crappie while the gills were still flapping.  Warmed up the cooker while I was cleaning.  The fish didn't even enter the house till they were battered and fried.  Son!  It couldn't ave been fresher or better!  I think my eyes rolled back so far I was able to see my brains.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:13 PM »
It depends on where you live and the size of fish in the area.  To me, 35" is not a trophy, it's a good sized fish thro.  Mid 40's and up is something I would talk about.

I need to fish with you. My Lake Country experiences don't match yours. Unless you're on Big where where minimum size limit is 40"...... can't keep under that anyway. For me 24 - 30" are the best eaters anyway.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Pike is a great white flesh fish with the Y bones removed.  Right up there with Perch and Walleye.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:37 PM »
I just finished reading this whole thread, and couldn't believe the comment about the "Poor Man" Lobster didn't appear sooner.  Sure practice makes perfect, we would cut them off the back bone, chop into like tuna stakes, some water, onion, salt, cook until white, flake the meat off the bones, dip in butter and just plain pig out.  I do deep fried beer batters, and everyone loves it.  I got tired of catching trout a long time ago, so now its salmon, smoked and use in my omelets .....Now I'm hungry, and will go target the Water Wolfs Saturday.
Bud

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #57 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I love poor mans lobster with bigger pike, nice 1" x 1" cubes of meat boil about 2 mins. drain then dip in melted garlic butter. My mouth is watering.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:25 PM »
I love poor mans lobster with bigger pike, nice 1" x 1" cubes of meat boil about 2 mins. drain then dip in melted garlic butter. My mouth is watering.

Yup....  ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #59 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:27 PM »
     Yup....  ;D

Except bake or BROIL. More flavor and moistness.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.