Author Topic: Anyone use Navionics WebApp?  (Read 6187 times)

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anyone use Navionics WebApp?
« on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:18 AM »
I am looking on their website at my local lake Webster Lake and I see its listing numbers for depth that ware way off.. but the topography looks correct... but I certainly know there are not 79 foot holes ont he south pond. Spots i know that are about 30-35 feeta re listed as 79?

Am I misinterpreting the numbers they give?

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anyone use Navionics WebApp?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:26 AM »
I used Navionics on a lake here in NY last week,and found the same thing...depths were off by 20-20 ft in some spots...I was thinking of sending them an email
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:38 AM »
I have the app for my phone. Go into your settings and make sure your depth is set to Feet and not Fathoms or Meters. Also make sure your Distance settings are in Miles and not km. Make sure all your settings are what they need to be. I'm no expert but think this will help you guys. If the settings aren't the problem then I'm not sure why it is giving the wrong readings unless its on some type of Demo mode.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:40 AM »
I have the app for my phone. Go into your settings and make sure your depth is set to Feet and not Fathoms or Meters. Also make sure your Distance settings are in Miles and not km. Make sure all your settings are what they need to be. I'm no expert but think this will help you guys. If the settings aren't the problem then I'm not sure why it is giving the wrong readings unless its on some type of Demo mode.

hm. idk. 79 fathoms would be like 400+ feet lol. I didnt pay for the rights to use the site. Its just there for free i thought. They didnt ask for any money to view the website. I checked if it was in meters too but its not.

Offline shiza11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I had the same problem. I just bought the app and its default is NM not miles. Also the depth default was meters not feet.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:57 AM »
I'm not sure then if it wasn't something with the settings. I have only used the payed version on my smart phone. It kinda sounds like a demo mode or something where they give you the idea what the maps are like, but don't give you the proper depth readings so you have to buy it. But you would think if that was the case they would have a price listed. I know on my phone that it is pretty accurate. Hope you figure it out.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:05 AM »
if u log on their website you can just click "webapp" and it gives you the entire country to look at.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:07 AM »
I'm not sure then if it wasn't something with the settings. I have only used the payed version on my smart phone. It kinda sounds like a demo mode or something where they give you the idea what the maps are like, but don't give you the proper depth readings so you have to buy it. But you would think if that was the case they would have a price listed. I know on my phone that it is pretty accurate. Hope you figure it out.

if u have time look up Lake Chaubunagungamaug in Webster, MA. Tell me if the pay app has different readings then http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:26 AM »
The app has depths that were correct when the lake was surveyed.    If it was surveyed a long time ago or if the water levels are different now due to drought, etc, they will vary greatly.  I find the depths are often off but the contours are usually correct.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:35 AM »
The app has depths that were correct when the lake was surveyed.    If it was surveyed a long time ago or if the water levels are different now due to drought, etc, they will vary greatly.  I find the depths are often off but the contours are usually correct.

Seeing as the max depth of south pond of webster lake (Lake Chaubunagungamuag) is 28 feet and it says 79 on navionics iw ould have to say its not because of time elapsing and water levels rising. Otherwise the whole town would be under water.

This is webster lake: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pdf/dfwwebst.pdf

max depth is 40 feet but navionics has 134 listed as the max.

I am guessing they use fake depths for this webapp. It just doesnt make sense any other way your thinka bout it.

I just want to know if the pay app has correct numbers before i pay for it.

Offline shiza11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:00 PM »
the app for my iphone for three lakes in my area are dead on correct to maps ive had sitting in my drawer for years

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:02 PM »
the app for my iphone for three lakes in my area are dead on correct to maps ive had sitting in my drawer for years

can you check the lake i am referring too? Its in webster, ma.

Offline shiza11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:21 PM »
the deepest i can see is 40 feet in the top part of the lake

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:23 PM »
the deepest i can see is 40 feet in the top part of the lake

Thank you. That mean the website app is wrong on purpose.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:43 PM »
i down loaded few days ago...i've noticing same thing. But like metioned above,could be old info. too.  ex: one lake i fish, there is a 20 ft hole..says its 8 ft there?
I'm not sure how much lake water will move sand to fill in OR maybe flow/spring is making bigger hole?

Its something to go by, yes it helps, yes most time correct..and at least you can mark a honey hole  :o

sometimes you have to follow them old timers  ;D

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:55 PM »
i down loaded few days ago...i've noticing same thing. But like metioned above,could be old info. too.  ex: one lake i fish, there is a 20 ft hole..says its 8 ft there?
I'm not sure how much lake water will move sand to fill in OR maybe flow/spring is making bigger hole?

Its something to go by, yes it helps, yes most time correct..and at least you can mark a honey hole  :o

sometimes you have to follow them old timers  ;D

Its off by more then is possible for it to be off. It must be a demo they have ont heir website cause the previous poster said it correct on the phone app.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2013, 02:10 PM »
oop, mine is phone app

Offline Cwab_LX5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:13 PM »
ya the website is way prolly cuz it free if u buy the app for 10 bucks its pretty close

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:24 PM »

X 2 I have only been on one lake with it (Droid), but it was pretty much right on as far as depths and distances to a couple of islands. I did shell out the !0 clams. For me, it was money well spent.  :tipup:
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:36 PM »
if u have time look up Lake Chaubunagungamaug in Webster, MA. Tell me if the pay app has different readings then http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp
I used that link and looked at the lake maps in Wi where I live and fish a lot. The depths are wrong here also. My paid app is correct, so I think for the web app to work properly you probably need to pay for the mapping. It sucks that they don't have it written clearly on the maps that the depths are wrong. That would eliminate a lot of confusion.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I used that link and looked at the lake maps in Wi where I live and fish a lot. The depths are wrong here also. My paid app is correct, so I think for the web app to work properly you probably need to pay for the mapping. It sucks that they don't have it written clearly on the maps that the depths are wrong. That would eliminate a lot of confusion.

Serious! This is what i though. I looked everywhere for some notice that says the depths are wrong on purpose. I wouldnt have bought it if i didnt have you guys to help me figure it out.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Let us know what you think of the paid app when you get it. I think you will like it. I know I do.

Offline icecold23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Paid app?  Which are you referring to? 

The mobile phone app works pretty well.  Not 100%, but pretty close.  Well worth the money to have something readily available to give you an idea where to fish.

The WebApp is something I just installed on my computer after I tried updating my Lake Maps card.  I would have to double check what everything was called... But I installed (what I think was called) the WebApp to do the updating of the cards. 

You could install a separate program for viewing the lake information like you would on your phone/locator.  Just glancing around a little on it, the depths were definitely off.  Lake of the Woods was showing 10' in the middle of the "bowl".

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:36 PM »
I was referring to the paid app for the phone. I don't know much about the web app.

Offline Stanbiker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:01 PM »
I don't have the app yet, but the webapp seems to be in Meters. 13.4m is about 40 feet, so it seems right.

When I compared the webapp to maps Alaska has on the F&G website, the depths seemed to be quite accurate.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:24 AM »
I also have the app for my iphone. Very disappointed that the closest you can zone in is 146 ft. That's a HUGE margin of error if you are marking weed beds and rock piles.

I normally use Navionics on my Humminbird mounted mounted on my ATV; but when I walk; it would be nice use my phone app. I now just bring my Garmin!

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:34 PM »
I was told that the depths you see on the free webapp maps are metric........not in feet.  Do some math...I wonder if what you're seeing aren't in meters...and there is a decimal point missing in those meter readouts?

Offline icecold23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:16 AM »
You can change your units from metric to feet and miles if you want...on both the PC and the mobile app.  (But, I forgot to change the units on the PC program...)

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Seeing as the max depth of south pond of webster lake (Lake Chaubunagungamuag) is 28 feet and it says 79 on navionics iw ould have to say its not because of time elapsing and water levels rising. Otherwise the whole town would be under water.

This is webster lake: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pdf/dfwwebst.pdf

max depth is 40 feet but navionics has 134 listed as the max.

I am guessing they use fake depths for this webapp. It just doesnt make sense any other way your thinka bout it.

I just want to know if the pay app has correct numbers before i pay for it.

I just checked the Navionics WEBAPP for this lake.  The deepest portion lists a '134' on it.  But the '4' is smaller than the '13' meaning the number is 13.4.  I believe this number is in Meters   

A meter is about 3.29ft.   
So doing the math--->    13.4 meters   x    3.29ft/meter  =    44 feet.   

I was checking another lake and it's definitely in meters.   The contours are correct just the depths are about 1/3 of what they should be.. (ie. something that I konw is 30 ft is listed as '10'.  )

hope this helps. 
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2013, 12:27 PM »
I have the paid app on my phone.   Great for lakes with accurate maps like lake george, only so-so for other lakes that have the generic depth data.

The lake george map on the navionics app for android is really quite amazing, and for the most part, is dead on...the bottom of lake george looks nothing like the old maps depicted it as.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.