Author Topic: Do you tell the truth? Are you a hider?  (Read 5610 times)

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Do you tell the truth? Are you a hider?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:49 AM »
Yea, tell someone you barely know about your secret spot and the next time YOU show up at your spot you're getting the evil eye from him and his buddies from afar.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Depends if you are a sportsman or selling your fish.    If your out there looking to fish for your table or fun I will do any thing I can to help.     Fish close enough so we can talk no problems at all.    How ever if you selling your fish on the commercial market don't even ask.   The commercial guys drive around and watch people fishing with binoculars from a distance.     If they see that fish are being caught (perch, bluegills, Whiteperch) they move right in on you.    On a dead day if I see this being done I turn my back to them and act like I can not pull them in fast enough.     When they hike out and get a hole cut I pick up and leave and yell GOOD LUCK ;D

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Don't have to lie as I very rarely see anyone when out fishing.
When I do see someone they are usually just passing through on a snowmobile ride.
I think in the 5 years I have been here I have shared the ice less than a dozen times and there is usually a 1/2mile or more between us.   ;D
    nice video

Offline treadz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't wait for the Hardwater
« Reply #63 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:56 AM »
I'm usually out durning the week so if I do have anyone ask I will usually help them out. I won't put them right on to a hotspot.  I like to see people working to find the fish.  I do alot of moving around to find them so I figure they can too!
Work should not be so pressing as to prevent a day's fishing through the ice.
–The Old Farmer's Almanac, 1910

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #64 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Boy, do I have a different "Mind Set" them most of you guys... First, until proven other wise, I try to give other anglers the benefit of doubt that they are not rude and yes sometime I am disappointing, but I can go catch fish some were else if it comes to that. I have never been limited to one spot for catching fish. With my guiding service (just open water) I started a program I call "Discovery Trips" it's a day-long seminar were I actually take a group of anglers (1 too a charted mini coach full) to the my fishing spots. For my Central MA Trout trip we cover about 30 spots, all the spots that I fish! I do over the coarse of the day talk about not crowding other angler (The Golden Rule) and have yet to be sorry that I run these trip, that with 100s of anglers!
No, I am happy to share...

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:31 AM »
yep some ppls egos turn em into flapper jaws...I've learned my lesson as I see I'm not alone...except when I fish  ;D...people have no sense of adventure anymore...no better feeling for me than when I step onto a lake I've never been to before its a world to explore!...
Here's where it gets complicated.  I can't tell the second buddy (who tells everyone his spots) where the spots are that the first buddy (the one that doesn't say nuthin' to nobody) showed me.       

If it's not a hot spot that I found, all by myself, then I gotta keep my mouth shut and not say nuthin' to nobody.         

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #66 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:36 AM »
One thing that I have seen time and time again is even if some one fishes a spot, does not mean they will catch fish!!!

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Im a hider...but only when the fishins good :icefish: ;D

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline bluegil67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:28 AM »
There is usually plenty of space on the lakes we fish so guys stacking up on you dosent happen much, but usually a hider anyway. Unless a real greenhorn or someones kid then we lend a hand or share some info

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:22 AM »
Boy, do I have a different "Mind Set" them most of you guys... First, until proven other wise, I try to give other anglers the benefit of doubt that they are not rude and yes sometime I am disappointing, but I can go catch fish some were else if it comes to that. I have never been limited to one spot for catching fish. With my guiding service (just open water) I started a program I call "Discovery Trips" it's a day-long seminar were I actually take a group of anglers (1 too a charted mini coach full) to the my fishing spots. For my Central MA Trout trip we cover about 30 spots, all the spots that I fish! I do over the coarse of the day talk about not crowding other angler (The Golden Rule) and have yet to be sorry that I run these trip, that with 100s of anglers!
No, I am happy to share...
of course your happy to share cuz I'm sure your not doing these trips for free!...not even close to the same argument...pay me and ill show you some dynamite fishin too!...so don't act like your the samaritan bcuz you get payed to charterLMAO

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:39 AM »
You know I've worked long and hard to figure out this game and I still have bad days.  Let the other guy pay his dues the same way.  I may offer help but I'm not giving away the candy store.  I see the same BS on the rivers when fly fishing in the summer.  I hook a fish and suddenly it's elbow to elbow on a run that was deserted when I got there.   >:(  My fish stay inside the clam in a bucket  and the bite is "sporadic" if you must ask.  I never set up closer than 20 feet from another angler except by invitation.   

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #71 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:55 PM »
When it comes to fishing lying can be a virtue ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #72 on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Couple of dinks on the ice/outside shanty (deterent)...keepers in the bucket (shhh...quiet in there) ;)

"How they bitin'?".............."Well, your lookin' at em'! "   :whistle:

Actually, the pannie lakes I fish most get little pressure or are private so it's not really an issue.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Depends on who's asking. Fish go in the bucket before i open my shanty to take a whizz.  ;D

Offline Chicken Hawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:23 PM »
For me it depends on where I'm fishing and if I'm out to catch a quantity of fish or if I'm after the toad. If there is for instance a father son combo and they look new to the sport ill give them a few suggestions on where to go to where the kid will have better odds or direct them to another area all together where the odds a much better. Otherwise I bury my fish in the snow : )

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:44 PM »
How does the old saying go?  Catch your own fish, tell your own tales.

Offline Monadnock Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't just throw it in the first hole you see!!!
« Reply #76 on: Dec 11, 2011, 02:50 PM »
yep some ppls egos turn em into flapper jaws...I've learned my lesson as I see I'm not alone...except when I fish  ;D...people have no sense of adventure anymore...no better feeling for me than when I step onto a lake I've never been to before its a world to explore!...

Now let me get this right .........You don't tell people where your  spots are cause they will catch all your fish.........While people drink beer you are moving around the ice like a nomad looking for fish . Then your great thrill is going to a new lake that you don't know anything about trying to catch fish.  :roflmao:

I'm not sure I'm following along here....... ???   

I will live my life with the cards i have been dealt.When that final day comes that I'm to weak to grin. I will push the dealer all my chips  cause its all or nothing and I'm all in ...

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:21 PM »
what's confusing about that?  There's no greater feeling then stepping onto a nice piece of ice and putting in the work to find the fish!
Tight lines

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:30 PM »
what's confusing about that?  There's no greater feeling then stepping onto a nice piece of ice and putting in the work to find the fish!
some ppl just don't get it I guess   ;)

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 11, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Usually wont hide much, but how much I share depends on how you ask. A nice guy who talks with me ill showy jig and any pattern I found for the day. Now a guy just passing by Ill just respond a few or better then average

Offline jiggin4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:26 PM »
keep telling the truth and eventually you'll get sick of "campers"...there are plenty of bucket sitters who purposely "lurk" lookin for someone to camp by...no different than the lazy (censored) on here lookin for the next free ride...actually small lakes are getting destroyed bcuz of this site...love me or hate me for saying it...but its FACT

I suppose i should become a little more vague with my responses then. I just started back into ice fishing last year so i was one of those bucket sitters looking for a group of people and setting up next to them( not ral close,but close enough). This year i hope to change it up and actually search for the fish rather than the fishermen...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:17 PM »
So now I'm going to throw a wrench  right into the mix here......What if you are a fishing guide if you don't give up the spots who is going to pay you  not anyone i know . So now lets sum this  up. We have the people who  hide the people who are the master hiders.......Then the guys making money who just tromp all over the lake  going from good spot to good spot.

I think I'm  getting it now  just get a guide  :thumbsup: That way you don't have to ask  cause you know you are going to the best spots on the lake.

I will live my life with the cards i have been dealt.When that final day comes that I'm to weak to grin. I will push the dealer all my chips  cause its all or nothing and I'm all in ...

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #82 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:25 PM »
I get so excited seeing a fish come through the hole, so I am happy to share space, techniques advice, bait or gear... I love chatting with anglers, love hearing their stories.
I find ice-fishing to be the most social fishing you can do. People are just friendlier on the ice.

For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:34 PM »
I get so excited seeing a fish come through the hole, so I am happy to share space, techniques advice, bait or gear... I love chatting with anglers, love hearing their stories.
I find ice-fishing to be the most social fishing you can do. People are just friendlier on the ice.

Well said

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:50 PM »
So now I'm going to throw a wrench  right into the mix here......What if you are a fishing guide if you don't give up the spots who is going to pay you  not anyone i know . So now lets sum this  up. We have the people who  hide the people who are the master hiders.......Then the guys making money who just tromp all over the lake  going from good spot to good spot.

I think I'm  getting it now  just get a guide  :thumbsup: That way you don't have to ask  cause you know you are going to the best spots on the lake.
most ppl who pay for guides don't have boats...icefishing is a different animal your hut is your boat and most icefishermen are lurkers lookin for the guy with a pile of fish to camp next to...I see it all the time "crowd followers" you are within your realm to tell the world and I'm within my realm to watch you get crowded out of your "own" spot 

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I will hide and lie all day long if I have never seen you on that lake before. I have found a good number or lakes have a local crowd and it is good to become friends with them.  You will also find there are some of them that can't be trusted. Every year some of the best spots and bites are turned into a mob seen because of this vary site. As for getting in good with the retired guys it is a real time saver. They often will give you the entire low down. A give and take relationship will often put you on some great fishing.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #86 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:11 PM »
of course your happy to share cuz I'm sure your not doing these trips for free!...not even close to the same argument...pay me and ill show you some dynamite fishin too!...so don't act like your the samaritan bcuz you get payed to charterLMAO
As I said before, I don't guide ice fishing... I take any one that wants to come along for ice fishing free and happy to do so. I have been a fishing instructor in 2 state (all volunteer). I know that having more anglers is good for the sport (more licenses, more people that care about access, spending money on fishing tackle, more to fight the likes of PETA and so on) even if I may not want more crowds on the lakes. Having people enjoy this sport is a good thing and sharing info will keep anglers coming back. The way some of you guys go on, I am surprised that you share any info here on the Ice Shanty, you might give away a tip that would help some one catch one of your fish...

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #87 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:23 PM »
 I am always honest with the folks who ask. I share info on everything, from depth, cover, bait and jigs. I do this because I remember it wasn't too long ago when I was learning how to do it right on the ice, and talking to guys about how they were doing was invaluable for me.
 If there are kids involved, I'll even let them fish my spot, if it is hot.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Listen stripernut I give advice on here all the time...ill tell you what kind of lures I use ill tell you my input of what I like and dislike about my gear all day long ...but I've watched this site DESTROY. A small lake in 2years time...do you think that'll bring the anglers out? No they wait for guys like you to blab about the next hot spot to flock to in DROVES then brag about how many bull bluegills they "slayed" and how many "piles" they accumulated...is that good for fishing also?

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:32 PM »
Beginning to believe be it may better to ask:
    Do you tell the truth
    Are you a hider
    A mean old Cuss
    Or just an ice shanty liar

Walked onto a lake and fished with an old timer once   The man didn't even know me when I came up on him, but I asked about his experiences with the lake   He didn't growl snarl or spit like I'm seeing more of here on shanty in posts like this - he got up, drew up his rod, and said  lower your bait right here and let's talk awhile   

He began to tap a hole a few feet from his and said  Come on, pull up your sled, I'll tell you what you want to know   It was one of the best days of my life on hardwater  I got to meet an excellent fisherman and an excellent human being.  Any fishing accomplished that day was the icing on the cake 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.