Author Topic: What would you do?? He is never gonna be invited again!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5237 times)

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
The first time I went ice fishing a good friend had invited me and I had no clue what to expect.  He picked me up and didn't say a word till we were almost to the lake and with a grin on his face said you are gonna get really cold in those jeans and sneakers.(long sleeve shirt a winter coat and a ball cap) It was in the 30's that afternoon and we fished from 1:00 til dark and I was sure I had frostbite. I didn't want to give him any satisfaction so I never said a word about being frozen. And to this day he thinks I handle the cold better than anyone he knows which is not true cause I thought I might die that day. You can bet the next time we went I had so many layers on I could barely walk and pac boots & knit hat for sure.
              I am not that evil to people who want to go with me, I always tell them what to expect, to wear layers and if you don't have warm boots stay home.   

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
Give him a SNICKERS BAR & tell him he is such a deva. 

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
tell him next time he wants to go you will meet him there that way the puss can go when he has had enough but make him buy the bait or lunch or both that way he has some value  ;)

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
This happened to me this year.  He asked when i was leaving because was done after only 2 hours.  I told him not any time soon.  "We came to fish, not put makeup on women."

I could hear Flatbob and his father in law lol'in in their QS3. 

He called his ol lady and she told him no and she only lives 1 mile away, so he called his buddy.

He's never called me again.   ???
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
The boy should've been inspected for the proper outer wear and foot wear before leaving the house and told to bring extra... if he didn't follow directions, he'd have spent a day being cold!

I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about him asking to go again, because he's probably ruined on the sport now... kinda sad.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The first time I went ice fishing a good friend had invited me and I had no clue what to expect.  He picked me up and didn't say a word till we were almost to the lake and with a grin on his face said you are gonna get really cold in those jeans and sneakers.(long sleeve shirt a winter coat and a ball cap) It was in the 30's that afternoon and we fished from 1:00 til dark and I was sure I had frostbite. I didn't want to give him any satisfaction so I never said a word about being frozen. And to this day he thinks I handle the cold better than anyone he knows which is not true cause I thought I might die that day. You can bet the next time we went I had so many layers on I could barely walk and pac boots & knit hat for sure.
              I am not that evil to people who want to go with me, I always tell them what to expect, to wear layers and if you don't have warm boots stay home.   
I am not evil either . The person who sissied out in this case has fished before, according to the original poster, therefore he knows ice fishing requires you to sit out on a block of ice in the middle of winter. Common sense says dress warm. I do take a look at what newer ice fishermen who are with are wearing and make suggestions. I tell people to wear more than you could possibly need it is easy to remove layers, but very difficult to grab another sweatshirt from your closet once you are on the lake . I love the sport so I do what I can to make newer guys comfortable, but it doesn't sound like this guy was new to the sport.

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am not evil either . The person who sissied out in this case has fished before, according to the original poster, therefore he knows ice fishing requires you to sit out on a block of ice in the middle of winter. Common sense says dress warm. I do take a look at what newer ice fishermen who are with are wearing and make suggestions. I tell people to wear more than you could possibly need it is easy to remove layers, but very difficult to grab another sweatshirt from your closet once you are on the lake . I love the sport so I do what I can to make newer guys comfortable, but it doesn't sound like this guy was new to the sport.

I wasn't even talking about him or his friend, I was referring to my friend and what he did to me. Sorry if it came across that way.

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
That's why you need a hand auger.

If the guy is cold, hand him the hand auger and make him drill around 80 holes.

Same activity is also recommended to burn off those pizza calories.  ;)
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I have had that happen, now its you drive to when your cold i will run you to shore ,then i go back at it ,do the same in the boat ,it seems to work for me

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
I can think of one individual who I used to fish with trolling salmon on Lake Champlain in November. Even when I suggest if we get out now he says it's cold out there, so he's not on the list anymore. There were times when he thought he had dressed well and still was cold, this is a guy who skis in the winter and is a typical outdoorsman who hunts and fishes. We used to ice fish together as well.

I generally try to bring an extra longsleeve shirt or windbreaker maybe some gloves, hat, leave them in the truck. You never know when you might need some dry clothes in case you get wet. My winter hat and gloves never left the truck all summer long ;D.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
ell if makes a diffrenc if you told his to wear warm nough cloths or not, might been ur fault.  Now if ida brung the pissa and stuff and he was not happy bought fishin Ida told him to go home by his self.

Also learn how to put together a sentence and spell.  Wow hope this is a joke and not how our youth has been taught to read and write.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
stick him in front of the heater and tell him to deal with it. also, if he complains more hit him in the face with a couple disposable handwarmers. no man left behind, but no whining tolerated for long.

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kyle is a puss.  However, Robert should have realized his friend was underdressed and predicted the outcome.  So If I were Robert, I would have avoided the problem entirely.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Whenever I go fishing with a newbie, I spell it out so that a blind, deaf mute can understand what to expect. That way they cannot cry to me about "I didn't know....."
I also do the same with on the ice safety information.

I find it hard to tolerate my own mistakes, and I sure as heck hate having to tolerate others', particularly if they've been drilled repeatedly prior to any outing.

Next time tell him to change out of his skirt and put on some "man pants"!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kyle is a puss.  However, Robert should have realized his friend was underdressed and predicted the outcome.  So If I were Robert, I would have avoided the problem entirely.
he told hiom tp dress warmly. kyle  said im warm. well then he said 2 hours later: im cold can we leave

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Heck, theres a fairly goods chance he'll never ask to go again.   Least not till it gets warm enough to thaw his gina out.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
Tell him to start walking home..the exercise will warm him up.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i didn't even understand the first post.  he must of been horseback riding while typing that out.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
When I bring a rookie, I tell them what to expect, in detail, and make them repeat it back to me.  Specifically, if I'm gearing up for a long day on the ice, they are told so in advance and their accompaniment with me is a commitment to finish out the day, otherwise, don't come.  Crystal clear. 

There are a few people who, when they ask if I'm going icefishing, I tell them yes, then when they ask if I can pick them up, I tell them where I'll be and it would be great if you could meet me there.  1 time out of 40+ times of doing this, one person showed up, fished for an hour, then left of his own accord.  With me, you determine your own level of involvement, I'm not the question mark.  Since I started this strategy, the people I go with  or who go with me don't have our day interrupted by someone wanting to punch out early. 

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Take a bucket of cold water and dump it on him.  Call the paramedics and have them drive him home.  What part of ICEFISHING don't you understand.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline pullingills

• IceShanty Rookie
next time if you ever bring him tell not to be the (tough guy i can do anything) and bring cloth for the worst and if he still dosent to bad for him let him feel like he gonna die for the whole day maybe he wont do it agin and bring proper cloth. "learn from your mistakes"

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have a small backpack that stays packed and ready to go all winter long.  Rarely gets used, but it comes along on every trip:  first aid kit, spare set of thermal underwear, two pairs of wool socks, an extra wool toque, a long-sleeve light wool shirt, a sweater, insulated gloves and a light windproof jacket.  

One of the zippered outside pockets carries three or four garbage bags, a Buck folding knife and fire starter.  Another zip pocket has my fishing licences, matches and a compass, so the pack never gets left behind!   ;D

Weighs close to  15 pounds, but has saved the day for me or one of my buddies a few time over the years.

Actually, one of my most ardent ice-fishing buddies was able to enjoy his first day out years ago because of the long johns and the sweater in this pack.  He probably would not have stayed with the sport if he had been miserable all day.

Ted

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
That is what heaters are for!!
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let him sit in the car.
Best option!
Fish on!

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
I froze my 1st time out.didnt even realize it!!my buddy had to drag me off the ice to his truck to warm up!(I did'nt want to stop fishin)I was slurin my speech and shiverin...did'nt think of hypothermia!BEEN HOOKED EVER SINCE!!!! :roflmao: :clap: :thumbsup: :cookoo: :icefish:

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
I froze my 1st time out.didnt even realize it!!my buddy had to drag me off the ice to his truck to warm up!(I did'nt want to stop fishin)I was slurin my speech and shiverin...did'nt think of hypothermia!BEEN HOOKED EVER SINCE!!!! :roflmao: :clap: :thumbsup: :cookoo: :icefish:

Thats what separates the men from the boys.  Stay home gina boy.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Richhays1

• IceShanty Rookie
I have taken some rookies out. I knew they had no clue how to dress. I gave them an idea what it would be like, I also told them we'd be on the ice from 8pm till 1 or 2 am. However, i try to think to myself that I KNOW this guy thinks i'm blowing steam up his rear and won't be ready for it. I take a couple extra cans of gas and set up the shanty. Who knows this "rookie" might turn out to be your best fishing buddy, and to freeze him solid doesn't do much other than to turn him into a ice hater.

Last year I went out, didn't have on enough. But i wasn't going "girl up" and cry to go home. I stuck it out for 3 hours to many. My buddy saw my fingers were to cold to put on bait. He asked if I was ready to go home. I told him when ever he was ready. He told me he couldn't feel his feet for the last hour and a half and didn't want to whimp about it. I called him a Pansie and told him wrecked the night but I was willing to go.  ;D
Why can't I catch the fish my fish finder sees?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.