Author Topic: My Experience with the 8" Jiffy Pro 4 Propane Auger....  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live In A Van Down By The River..........
Just got this a week ago.  I purposely never hooked up propane or tried to start it.  I went to the family cottage and left the auger on the outside porch for the afternoon (high of 10 without wind chill).  I got done with work, grabbed the auger, and finally got out on the ice around 9pm.  Hooked up the propane, gave it 2 pulls and it started.  It was outside the shanty late into the night and for the rest of the weekend when we were fishing.  I did a lot of fishing and this auger started on the 1st or 2nd pull every single time.  We have 18" of ice and it cut through it like butter and cut real well through old holes as well. 

I am happy as hell about the new propane auger--and wasn't sure if it was going to be a good move.

Nathan

A dry line will never catch a fish.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
Re: My Experience with the 8" Jiffy Pro 4 Propane Auger....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:39 PM »
So how do you mix the 2 stroke oil with the propane???... is it injected? ::)
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:42 PM »
The auger is a 4 stroke.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Ya, it is a 4 stroke and pretty darn quiet--which is nice... I don't have to scare every fish away for 100 yards.  This is my first power auger so I don't know if it is heavy, but it weighs:  42 pounds.  Not sure if that is on the heavy side?  But it seems to be fine for me.

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Glad to hear it works good! Thanks for the report. I am planning on buying one after the season when everything goes on sale...

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Oh, by the way... if you are going to buy this auger or any auger... Check online.  I went to a few stores to buy in person and couldln't find it--all sold out.  I went on google and found it at fishusa.com.  I didn't have to pay tax and only paid 7 bucks for shipping.  I was surprised it was that easy and no tax online.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:27 PM »
So how do you mix the 2 stroke oil with the propane???... is it injected? ::)

They didn't get it.... Makes it even funnier!   ;)

What is the main purpose of owning a propane auger, weed wacker, etc.  What am I missing?
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Just an FYI, fish dont hear the motor only hear the blades scraping the ice. Theres a vid on you tube someplace of it on a hydrophone.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:37 PM »
They didn't get it.... Makes it even funnier!   ;)

What is the main purpose of owning a propane auger, weed wacker, etc.  What am I missing?

On long trips you dont need to haul gasoline, just a bunch of 1lbers.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:44 PM »
I'm still not seeing the benefits guys.  I'm sure the fish here the ice scraping away, like finger nails on a chalk board.  As for the gas I have a 3hp auger that I fill up and can probably get at least 200 holes out of. Without running the numbers I would assume the propane costs more to operate. And since it's under pressure you have the potential fOr it leaking out and not even knowing it.
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:47 PM »
What is the main purpose of owning a propane auger, weed wacker, etc.  What am I missing?
[/quote]

I'm not sure what everyone else likes...  But I always keep propane for a little heater and a lantern and think it is an easy fuel to keep around the shanty.  I used my buddies auger (older one) and I really had a crap ton of old gas/oil smell on me and my hands.  I guess I might have been thinking about it more than it was actually happening.  But a lot of the old guys in my family said that any fuel on fishing line, lures, or bait will kill fishing luck.  I heard of the 4 stroke with propane and thought it sounded good.  

I'm not trying to sell this--just letting anyone that is iffy about the Jiffy Pro 4 that I have had great success so far!

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:19 PM »
i like mine because i normally carry a heater and lantern with me so having propane around is normal also no gas can to forget about (again) ive drilled 60 plus  holes with mine through 10+ inch ice and im still on the first bottle

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I would imagine the exhaust wouldn't tink up the perm house as much either when drilling holes.  Also believe in the gas smell-residue = fewer fish.  I use dedicated gloves for drilling and that's a drag.  Hopefully both the weight and price will come down to competive levels soon.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:27 PM »
 I did not know that there was a propane model out on the market. If Its not to big a deal, could you post a pic, I would like to see it.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:37 PM »
North American Fishing Club just had an article on their e-mail newsletter stating the 6 scents that kill fishing success (I know, I know...).

Then one caveat they had in the article was petro based items (gas and oil) had little affect....in THAT study.

Just throwing it out there as an item to discuss.

Personally, I wear my gloves whenever I gas up or cut holes, and never wear gloves when baiting up or changing lures because I can't do it with gloves on, so try to keep a little buffer there anyway.

Here are my thoughts....a drill cutting ice has the same amount of noise under the ice no matter the power source from what I have seen and read, I fill up the night before with different gloves and have never ran out of juice with my Eskimo no matter how many holes I drill in a day of fishing, I don't have to worry about whether or not my gas drill will ice up, proportionally the propane auger is WAY heavier than my current drill, and it costs a lot......

Also, an engine burning propane is a different smell/non-smell than running a heater, but it definately still has a distinct odor.  I haven't been around the new auger, but I have been around fork lifts and pickup trucks that have been converted to run off propane and they definately have an odor when they are running.

I carry an 11 pound tank for heat and food and have found myself in one situation where it was so cold that I couldn't get a pounder to thread as a backup because, I can only figure, the metals on the connectors contracted enough to prevent it.  When you walk out and lose your source of heat, or hole punch, that's the end of the day.....

Good discussion....I would be tickled pink to try one out, just not enough pros compared to cons on my spreadsheet.

It's heavy, expensive, still has an odor when running, and not proven as a product....yet......

Just my opinion....

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:04 PM »
great report...glad your new propane Jiffy is working well for ya!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:40 PM »
North American Fishing Club just had an article on their e-mail newsletter stating the 6 scents that kill fishing success (I know, I know...).

Then one caveat they had in the article was petro based items (gas and oil) had little affect....in THAT study.

Just throwing it out there as an item to discuss.

Personally, I wear my gloves whenever I gas up or cut holes, and never wear gloves when baiting up or changing lures because I can't do it with gloves on, so try to keep a little buffer

there anyway.

Here are my thoughts....a drill cutting ice has the same amount of noise under the ice no matter the power source from what I have seen and read, I fill up the night before with different gloves and have never ran out of juice with my Eskimo no matter how many holes I drill in a day of fishing, I don't have to worry about whether or not my gas drill will ice up, proportionally the propane auger is WAY heavier than my current drill, and it costs a lot......

Also, an engine burning propane is a different smell/non-smell than running a heater, but it definately still has a distinct odor.  I haven't been around the new auger, but I have been around fork lifts and pickup trucks that have been converted to run off propane and they definately have an odor when they are running.

I carry an 11 pound tank for heat and food and have found myself in one situation where it was so cold that I couldn't get a pounder to thread as a backup because, I can only figure, the metals on the connectors contracted enough to prevent it.  When you walk out and lose your source of heat, or hole punch, that's the end of the day.....

Good discussion....I would be tickled pink to try one out, just not enough pros compared to cons on my spreadsheet.

It's heavy, expensive, still has an odor when running, and not proven as a product....yet......

Just my opinion....

Thank you.  I was thinking it was just me. I guess its important enough to some people because they are making them....  ::)
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:45 AM »
I have heard alot of good reviews on the pro 4 and plan on buying 1 as soon as I sell my other auger a jiffy stelth stx ,I dont think there will be any end of season sale on these but I want 1, I hate haveing to mess with the gas and carrying a gas jug around,haveing someone use your auger and not close the vent and gas leaks out all over your stuff in the bottom of the sled been there done that,propane is the way to go for me

Offline Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:09 AM »
WOW 42 lbs. I thought my icegator was heavy at 27 lbs. Guess I am getting old  :) that's why I rather just push a button.
Plus when I seen the propane auger in the store  the other day it had a warning about laying it down a certain way to avoid breaking the spark plug.  :-\

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:10 AM »
42lbs my for10 inch, 38 for 8, I LOVE MY PRO4, bought it because I hate gas smell, and I could afford it, if it does not work I get a Nils. Got my at Fish307 also locally, cant be happier, all you need to remember is to lay it down with the plug up. before the ice I had it in my walk in Freezer at work for a weekend at minus 10, fired up on the 3 rd pull ready to go. Thats just me, I dont plan on fishing in Minus 20 degrees so I really dont care about what happens. If you plan on running and gunning with 50 holes a day it might not be economical for you, I bought was was right for me, 20 holes max, 2 feet of ice max, - 10 is my cutoff temp. Works for me. ;)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:31 AM »
 thank you for the time taken to post this... I've been a mechanic for over 40 years, in my experience, propane and cold dont play well together.. i was very curious on how the two would mix...

My feelings are that this was developed for the shanty crowd, because the porpane is nearly oderless ( the reason they run propane in ware house fork trucks) and has lower levels of carbon monoxide it will be interesting to see how these work as time goes on...

what brand is the motor... the picture looked like a Briggs and Stratton?
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:16 AM »
thank you for the time taken to post this... I've been a mechanic for over 40 years, in my experience, propane and cold dont play well together.. i was very curious on how the two would mix...

My feelings are that this was developed for the shanty crowd, because the porpane is nearly oderless ( the reason they run propane in ware house fork trucks) and has lower levels of carbon monoxide it will be interesting to see how these work as time goes on...

what brand is the motor... the picture looked like a Briggs and Stratton?

As far as i know, it is an in house design, built in China. 
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:25 AM »

Jiffy engineered the engine--but it is built in China.  I called Jiffy about this before I made the purchase.  They say that every auger engine is built in China--even the engines that say Germany are designed and made in Germany but assembled in China.  I called Eskimo and StrikeMaster and they said the same thing. 

The warranty and repairs are all handled out of the plant in Sheboygan Falls, WI.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I dunno. That's a lot of coin to drop for a 42 pound auger. I believe the Nils Master power auger is in the low 20's for weight. I sure wouldnt want to lug that thing around all day.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:26 AM »

so much for their built in USA slogan if thatis the case...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:38 AM »

If packaged here they can put that sticker all over the packaging, ie; hanes
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:25 PM »
so much for their built in USA slogan if that is the case...

Which would apply to all the makers.  The powerhead can be made elsewhere and shipped and and still qualify for made in the USA.  Example?  Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet.   25% American parts 75% ROTW.

Anyways......

I just mentioned China, i didnt mean anything by it.  Not everything out of China is junk, and i am well aware of this.   

Thread is going to go the way of the Dodo quickly.  I happens every time i see someone buy one and review it.  You say why you love it and 50 tards stop off to say why they dont......as if anyone cares.  Why i would not own one has absolutely ZERO bearing on your ownership so ill spare you reading my viewpoint of an auger i have never run, and dont intend to, on your review thread.

Thanks for the review btw.  Its just like the many other i have read thus far.....which is....its a very good auger.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Not everything is made in China.......Chinese fortune cookies are made in the USA. Check out the package next time you go for some Chinese food.

I say give the Chinese back their damn cookies and give us back our jobs! Let's get back to quality.

JIGGIN.

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:37 PM »

Also the slogan is U.S engineered for ultimate performance.  So engineered in the U.S yes, built no.  As far as I'm concerned its not that big of a deal.  All auger engines are chinese made and they all get the job done, good enough for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.