Author Topic: Do Augers scare fish?  (Read 7291 times)

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Do Augers scare fish?
« on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:42 AM »
I'm looking for a new power auger (haven't settled on gas or electric yet) but was wondering what your experience is with scaring fish.  Do you believe gas augers scare the fish off?  Electric?  Does depth of water play a part in it?
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Crumps brother

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Do Augers scare fish?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:57 AM »
I saw a fishing show years ago, don't know which one, but they had a diver below the surface and they tried a gas, hand, and then a spud bar. The only difference I heard was the gas motor running once the hole was finished. The spud bar could be heard and it was really loud.

Offline shawnbialobrzeski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Keep your stick on the ice"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Millions of people use gas powered augers and seem to catch fish. Use gas, dont have to worry about a stupid battery. My Eskimo hasnt failed on me once on the ice and ive owned it for  a while

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:10 AM »
Buy Electric, you don't have to ever tune it up, carry gas, START IT...  you just push the on button and it goes....they are faster at drilling holes and every bit as realiable

I have one of the early Ice Gators and I have drilled 54 holes with an 8" head through 15" of ice in one day and it was still drillin...Never pulled a rope once to make it work!!!

Oh ya, and they are more environmentally(sp) friendly...if that matters to you...

In direct response to your question, I would have to agree with the answers above.  And if you think about it, the only way to make it through the ice quietly is to melt it, and I haven't seen any device that does that yet....

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:12 AM »
  Do you believe gas augers scare the fish off? 

No.

Offline JimB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone thinking
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I don't think it does I drilled holes and my buddy caught a perch less than a minute later.Trout might take a little longer to come back to the area.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:42 AM »
I've popped holes with gas augers and immediately marked and caught walleyes in 4-5 FOW.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:46 AM »
i would say no......gas destroys electric.....
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:50 AM »
I had an electric, not good for me, some lakes I've drilled 150 + holes in 36 + inches of ice searching for fish, depends what type of fishing you do I guess.  Myself, I'll be sticking to gas.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:52 AM »
I saw a fishing show years ago, don't know which one, but they had a diver below the surface and they tried a gas, hand, and then a spud bar. The only difference I heard was the gas motor running once the hole was finished. The spud bar could be heard and it was really loud.

I believe I saw the same show years ago. Tony Dean outdoors?
If I remember right the power auger was the quietest at drilling. I believe the ice blocks most if not all of the engine noise.
I think what scares the fish the most is if you are fishing shallow and plunge the auger in and out several times to remove all the ice chips. If you stop after you drill the holes and scoop them out when fishing shallow I don't think there would be much impact on the fish.
Some people drill a series of holes over a given structure and give them a few minutes rest after drilling for things to go back to normal before fishing in them. I sometimes drill a series of holes then go back to the first one and start fishing and checking for fish with my Vex.
IMHO a power auger has no discernable impact on the fish unless you are fishing really shallow. Since drilling is so much easier and moving is easier with the power auger I would definitely say I catch way more fish with a power auger than I ever would without one.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Buy Electric, you don't have to ever tune it up, carry gas, START IT...  you just push the on button and it goes....they are faster at drilling holes and every bit as realiable

I have one of the early Ice Gators and I have drilled 54 holes with an 8" head through 15" of ice in one day and it was still drillin...Never pulled a rope once to make it work!!!

Oh ya, and they are more environmentally(sp) friendly...if that matters to you..

I did a trip last year here in Alaska for 3 days and 2 nights in a remote mountain cabin. We had snomachined into this lake and there definetly no electric power. I must have drilled 30 holes each day through 2 1/2' of ice.
No way an electric auger would have worked for me on this trip.
I think Electrics DO have their place but they certainly are not for everyone.
Also if your local power plant burns coal or other fossil fuels are you really saving the enviroment? Just a thought.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Check out the Jiffy Pro 4. It is a power auger but it has a propane powered 4 stroke engine. This makes is a lot quieter than a gas auger with the same power. Runs off of the green coleman 1lb'ers

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2010, 11:54 AM »
Do you believe gas augers scare the fish off?  Electric?

Only if it drops thru the hole!

Sure, if your cutting holes in 3-5 feet of water, then noise could be a factor.
One thing to remember is that you are there for awhile. If you were drilling holes and fishing for 5 minutes at a time then I'd say why bother. Since we are usually fishing for hours at a time, once you are done cutting holes the fish will return to their normal activity. I don't think the fish get spooked and leave, but rather they just seek cover as close as possible and then return to their regular spots. If noise is that much of a concern, then you'd also have to include sleds and ATVs, walking, talking and even getting in an out of chairs. They all create noise thru the ice.

Bottom line: unless it's sustained for long term, noise isn't too much of an issue. (long term being things like an ice auger-hole cutting contest or sled/ATV races on the ice.)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2010, 12:06 PM »
i use a spud early ice and catch fish then its the 8 inch mora and catch fish then when theres 10 inches or more i use the ol gas auger and still catch fish.fish are curious to sound sometimes and i dont believe augers scare fish.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2010, 02:05 PM »
I think the show was Tony Dean Outdoors and was filmed in Pierre,SD. The power auger and hand auger sidn't seem to bother them, but the spud bar sure did. I have actually seen Perch move through under my shack going toward an auger that was cutting holes about 100' from me. There was a Snow Bear belonging to an outdoor magazine on the ice that day and they would follow it as it went by. I knew that Perch liked a bit of commotion, but I didn't know they would actually follow something on the ice. ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2010, 03:16 PM »
very little

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2010, 03:20 PM »
If thats the case noone would catch fish, have used a gas one for years and never had a problem. First time ive heard this question usally hear the one about electronics scareing them :tipup:

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2010, 03:24 PM »
I have caught fish on a tip-up 10 feet away from where I am drilling another hole.
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Mine does.  Fish always run scared when I drill holes.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Mine does.  Fish always run scared when I drill holes.

;D ;D ;D
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:08 PM »
I have found fishing trout especially browns noise can play a factor however I don't think an eletric causes any less commotion than a gas auger, eventually they will return, or in the case of trout cruise through the area after the holes have been drilled so buy yourself a jiffy and save yourself some trouble
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:24 PM »
Making a hole in the ice will turn the fish off in an area for 5-10 minutes in most cases. Fish mood has allot to do with this. Actively feeding fish will pay much less attention to noise than fish in a neutral or negative mood. If the fishing is crap, the auger can really shut them down. They will usually pin themselves to the bottom instead of swimming away, but they need a few minutes to recover. This is when it pays to drill 15 to 20 holes on a piece of structure before you even start to fish. That way the auger isn't messing you up. Some guys on the Swiss Cheese Brigade will punch 4 or 5 holes, fish them, start the auger back up, drill 4 or 5 more holes, fish them... ect, ect. They really shoot themselves in the foot with this because the fish never fully recover and they are pinned on the bottom so the flasher does not mark them.

Auger noise is part of the game, the trick is managing it.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:41 PM »
rf energy from a battery operated auger may bring the fish in outta curiosity or stimulation
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:56 PM »
i really don't think it matters i'v caught salmon trout pike perch immediately after drilling with my gas auger.if the bite is off the bite is off,when the bite is off i'v noticed sometimes that making a ton of noise drilling running etc. will often trigger a strike,i'm sure that sometimes making noise around your hole will spook the fish as well, depending on the mood of the fish.in most cases though i really don't think the noise matters much

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2010, 06:25 PM »
I have drilled holes by hand and with a gator. I drop a camera down to make sure I am in the right spot. I almost always see fish right away. I sometimes believe the fish are moving toward the noise or perhaps attracted to dirt or debris falling from the drilling.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2010, 07:06 PM »

JIFFY...STRIKE MASTER...MORA...ICE GATOR...OMG...THEY'RE ALL HERE!!!
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2010, 07:20 PM »
....Do you believe gas augers scare the fish off?...

No, but when they look up through that hole and see me, I think it scares the snot out of 'em!  8)
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2010, 10:24 AM »
if it weren't for the price i would have a gas auger. i've grown up with hand augers and while they work, i'm glad i have an electric this year, cuz it's gonna be a long cold winter ;D

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 05, 2010, 10:34 AM »
No, but when they look up through that hole and see me, I think it scares the snot out of 'em!  8)
Nick.

Then you need to come fish with me and scare the snot off them northerns for me!! :tipup:

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Then you need to come fish with me and scare the snot off them northerns for me!! :tipup:

Well I'm glad somebody got that pun!!  ;D
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.