The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Upper and Lower Narrow Pond  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Jig man

• IceShanty Rookie
Upper and Lower Narrow Pond
« on: Jan 19, 2023, 09:53 AM »
Have been fishing upper and lower narrows pretty frequently this year. It has been slow but did result in some salmon and trout. I was just wondering if anyone still catches lake trout in either anymore. I know they haven’t stocked any lake trout in the past couple of years…wonder if they’re trying to make it more of a trout/ salmon fishery?? I have heard there’s pike in them as well. But have yet to catch one if they are. If people still catch lakers in there still can someone give me some tips to get into one?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: Upper and Lower Narrow Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2023, 10:07 AM »
Have been fishing upper and lower narrows pretty frequently this year. It has been slow but did result in some salmon and trout. I was just wondering if anyone still catches lake trout in either anymore. I know they haven’t stocked any lake trout in the past couple of years…wonder if they’re trying to make it more of a trout/ salmon fishery?? I have heard there’s pike in them as well. But have yet to catch one if they are. If people still catch lakers in there still can someone give me some tips to get into one?
It’s managed for salmon now. I’m sure there are still some togue left in lower. How much ice you finding?

Offline Jig man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2023, 10:22 AM »
There is 4-6 inches at least. Some of the edges are thin if you get on at the causeway. No sleds or shacks out yet.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2023, 11:11 AM »
There is 4-6 inches at least. Some of the edges are thin if you get on at the causeway. No sleds or shacks out yet.

I’m surprised that much ice. I’ve driven  by a few times over the last week. Haven’t seen anyone by the causeway.

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2023, 05:58 PM »
Lakers have been very few and far between for quite sometime.

Offline icecruiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2023, 05:20 AM »
They last stocked Lower Narrows with 100 lakers in 2020.  Prior to that it was 100 in 2015 200 in 2012 and 200 in 2011. 

Couple that with lots of smelts and it makes for very slow fishing for lakers.  I have found them anywhere in the water column and in the past seemed to have found brighter more silver lakers that seemed to be focused on smelts and another population that are very dark and yellow and seem for focus on bottom feeding including bugs and other stuff off the bottom (typically catch these on bottom vs up in the water column). 

Don't fish it like I used to but have yet to get a laker this year in a couple times out.  Also think it got more pressure with covid so couple that with having a total of 600 fish stocked in 12 years leads to very low density of lakers. 

Someone told me they heard that the lakers reproduce naturally there but I have never caught a laker smaller than the size they stock and I have put many hours fishing here through the years.  When I fished it hard I could follow the fin clips year to year as you would catch fish of similar size that had the same fins clipped indicating the same year class. 

Pike are confirmed in the lakes.  This summer I saw some large fish sitting still in the weeds that were pike or pickeral but I didn't catch them and couldn't tell from the surface which they were but suspect they were pike. 

It didn't get the nickname slower narrows without good reason. 

If you want to send me a PM feel free. 

John

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2023, 10:15 AM »
Always enjoyed your posts and great pics in the past.  Nice to see it again.

They last stocked Lower Narrows with 100 lakers in 2020.  Prior to that it was 100 in 2015 200 in 2012 and 200 in 2011. 

Couple that with lots of smelts and it makes for very slow fishing for lakers.  I have found them anywhere in the water column and in the past seemed to have found brighter more silver lakers that seemed to be focused on smelts and another population that are very dark and yellow and seem for focus on bottom feeding including bugs and other stuff off the bottom (typically catch these on bottom vs up in the water column). 

Don't fish it like I used to but have yet to get a laker this year in a couple times out.  Also think it got more pressure with covid so couple that with having a total of 600 fish stocked in 12 years leads to very low density of lakers. 

Someone told me they heard that the lakers reproduce naturally there but I have never caught a laker smaller than the size they stock and I have put many hours fishing here through the years.  When I fished it hard I could follow the fin clips year to year as you would catch fish of similar size that had the same fins clipped indicating the same year class. 

Pike are confirmed in the lakes.  This summer I saw some large fish sitting still in the weeds that were pike or pickeral but I didn't catch them and couldn't tell from the surface which they were but suspect they were pike. 

It didn't get the nickname slower narrows without good reason. 

If you want to send me a PM feel free. 

John

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2023, 07:06 PM »
I had heard Pike were in there now, thats really too bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.