The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Life expectancy on cutting head  (Read 788 times)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Life expectancy on cutting head
« on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:40 AM »
So I purchased a nils 6" convertible auger last year and have been meaning to buy a replacement head for when I have to send the one I currently have in for sharpening.  Right now there sold out for the season but it's no worries as I don't have a need for it yet.  Not sure how many holes I've drilled with it so far but well past 500 holes lin 6-8" of ice and it still cuts as well as it did the very first hole I drilled with it, like BUTTER! 

Was wondering, for the people that own a nils, how long on average would you say you can expect good performance out of a new or newly sharpened head?  How many seasons or holes?

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Life expectancy on cutting head
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:31 AM »
If you are cutting ice and treat it well... years before sharpening. But if you so much as nick a rock or get into some branches she will dull up quick. IMO they are the best auger out there, that said it's a good idea to have a spare blade. Nothing worse than being out on 2'+ of slushy ice and trying to cut holes with a spud bar... or worse have nothing at all. Also when you do need to have your blade sent in for sharpening, your auger is not out of commission.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Life expectancy on cutting head
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2021, 11:56 AM »

I have 2 heads from the 80s , 4.5”,  6”, and still cutting , I get 5 are 6 years before touching up , I don’t let mine get to the point it won’t cut , you will get more years that way , as with any thing abuse it and lose it , I always carry a spare head with me , you just never know

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.