The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clevis pin instead of bolt to attach auger to power head.  (Read 2068 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Can you use a clevis pin to mount an auger to a power head instead of a bolt? With the clevis pin you would be able to quickly detach the auger for storage.

What are the pros/cons of doing this?
jbird68

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clevis pin instead of bolt to attach auger to power head.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2021, 09:48 PM »
All that torque would be passed on to that single clevis pin. I would imagine there would be some slack in it and when that slack hits, it could shear. It would definitely wear over time.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:45 PM »
Be very careful of anything that sticks out of the auger that can catch your clothing. My father in law lost part of his right hand getting tangled up with a gas auger connection like that.
Also, if it is not a precise fit, I would worry that you would damage the pin or the hole, and might not be able to get it apart at all.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:36 AM »
I use a clevis to attach my Kovac ice adapter to my Nils auger that I power with a Milwaukee drill.  I also use a clevis on the jiffy 4 Pro Lite propane auger and have never had an issue.  Get one that's as close of a tight fit as possible and doesn't stick out too far.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:42 AM »
I use a clevis to attach my Kovac ice adapter to my Nils auger that I power with a Milwaukee drill.  I also use a clevis on the jiffy 4 Pro Lite propane auger and have never had an issue.  Get one that's as close of a tight fit as possible and doesn't stick out too far.

Good idea. If it sticks out too far, that's what bench grinders are for.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2021, 06:43 AM »
That’s exactly the application Clevis pins are made for.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:10 PM »
I've had mine on my Eskimo for 5 years now and no problems.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:46 PM »
Yup. People sure like trying to make things harder than need be sometimes.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:25 PM »
Jiffy went to a clevis with a plastic sleeve to hold it in place, just dont try and remove the sleeve to break it down while it was below freezing... a wide 2 sided Velcro strap is a good alternative to the sleeve,just wrap it back around itself it covers the clevis ( so it cant bite or choke  you) and also keeps it from falling out.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:41 PM »
Used one for a while so I could take the power head off for longer trips in the truck. Worked just fine. Any hardware store will have a selection of them in the popular sizes, just pick one that fits the tightest and is not overly long. Make sure you get the hardened steel zinc plated ones so they dont rust. Should be about $0.60 each.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2021, 05:31 PM »
I have used one for 3 or 4 years between my Milwaukee drill and Nils.  Breaks down to fit in my 1 man, and hasn't had an issue yet. I just made sure it was a tight fit and sprayed alittle fluid film in there to keep ice and water from sticking or clogging up the adapter or hole.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Ok...here’s a question.
While a clevis pin would be an easy fix for attaching a drill attachment to a Nils, wouldn’t that screw up the threads on the auger? My adapter has a threaded bolt that screws into the shaft of the auger to accommodate both the adapter, and the hand attachment. Wouldn’t the ”slop” of the clevis pin have the potential to damage those threads? Comments?
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:37 PM »
Ok...here’s a question.
While a clevis pin would be an easy fix for attaching a drill attachment to a Nils, wouldn’t that screw up the threads on the auger? My adapter has a threaded bolt that screws into the shaft of the auger to accommodate both the adapter, and the hand attachment. Wouldn’t the ”slop” of the clevis pin have the potential to damage those threads? Comments?
Yes, if it goes through a hole that is threaded it'd probably tear up the threads. I think a lynch pin would work well for this

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.