The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Bought the new 24v Lithium StrikeMaster the other day  (Read 21718 times)

Offline nekwoody

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bought the new 24v Lithium StrikeMaster the other day
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:58 AM »
I bought the 24v 8" this year. I have been extremely happy with it. Sure beats lugging my 10" Model 30 around.... Had it out the other day and drilled 67 holes through 10" of ice. Still had a little life in it too, battery was flashing 1 bar. Probably the best outing I've had with it so far. I recently bought a second battery to take along. My plan is to keep my Model 30 for when the ice gets thicker than 12-14". I'd agree that this auger was designed for early ice/running and gunning type fishermen. Probably not a late season workhorse.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:59 AM »
Hopefully they come out with a bigger battery
Just enjoying life

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Van Noord, without looking back on this thread, I think you got around 640” of ice. Still a ways from the claimed 800”, but my 545” I got is over 30% away from what they told us it was capable of. That’s not acceptable to me, but this could be due to the fact that I have to push down to cut. It should cut a lot easier than that and all that’s going to do is put extra strain on the whole system.

I completely understand them wanting it back. They can’t just send out new parts without getting the old ones back, theres too many unethical people out there these days who would just take advantage of that. Why buy a spare battery if you could just tell them it’s bad and get a free spare?

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:22 AM »
Question.

Is the bit head the standard Mora/Lazer setup? If I don't end up liking the drill rig that I'm still waiting on (🙄) I am giving serious consideration to picking up one of these 24v in 6" and just slapping my 7" Lazer bit on it, if it's the same shaft diameter.

From the battery life you guys have described, I could probably run an entire season on a single charge. Ice around here rarely exceeds 8", and I literally can't remember the last time I drilled more than 6 holes in a day. Most days it's 1 or 2.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Question.

Is the bit head the standard Mora/Lazer setup? If I don't end up liking the drill rig that I'm still waiting on (🙄) I am giving serious consideration to picking up one of these 24v in 6" and just slapping my 7" Lazer bit on it, if it's the same shaft diameter.

From the battery life you guys have described, I could probably run an entire season on a single charge. Ice around here rarely exceeds 8", and I literally can't remember the last time I drilled more than 6 holes in a day. Most days it's 1 or 2.

It comes with the Lite Flite bit in 6" and 8". A lot lighter than the lazer auger bit.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:37 AM »
Strikemaster advises not to run a heavier steel bit in it. 6 or 8” lite flite only or it will void the warranty.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:49 AM »
544” is dead on to what I got. I don’t know if the retailer would exchange it or not. I’ll send it back in hopes of them maybe beefing something up internally. I wonder if there is something they aren’t telling the general public here. There’s no way it’ll do 50 holes through 16” of ice. The prototype may of, but this won’t.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:13 AM »
Strikemaster advises not to run a heavier steel bit in it. 6 or 8” lite flite only or it will void the warranty.
Ah, dang. For me 7" is like the Goldilocks auger size. I've had 6, 7, and 8" and I just prefer the 7" over 6 or 8.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:32 AM »
These guys drilled 100 consecutive holes on 6" of ice with their 8" 24v. About 600" before the battery died. Falling short of the mark that Strikemaster claims. Something tells me that Strikemaster isn't being honest with their field test.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:57 AM »
Do these tests where the batteries are drained completely not shorten the battery life? I know I got years more service from my SLAs  once I started switching them out before they were drained. Does the lithium tech not respond in the same way?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2021, 02:41 PM »
I have to wonder if these ratings are like fuel mileage, where they can make the conditions perfect to get the most holes during the test and then say "up to so many inches of ice".

Maybe they tested it on 16" block ice in a warehouse that was 70 degrees, with a battery just off the charger in the office room, all holes started with the bit on the ice so no wasted spinning, and a time break between each hole for the auger motor and battery to settle/cool. Theres something that happened if everyone is getting 70% of the listed performance.

Or maybe they did get that performance with the initial run of test batteries, then they bulk purchased the run and the company making them (presumably in china) cheapened out on something.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:35 PM »
I’ll let ya know when I get it back. I bet it drills better and will get more holes.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:49 PM »
I have to wonder if these ratings are like fuel mileage, where they can make the conditions perfect to get the most holes during the test and then say "up to so many inches of ice".

Maybe they tested it on 16" block ice in a warehouse that was 70 degrees, with a battery just off the charger in the office room, all holes started with the bit on the ice so no wasted spinning, and a time break between each hole for the auger motor and battery to settle/cool. Theres something that happened if everyone is getting 70% of the listed performance.

Or maybe they did get that performance with the initial run of test batteries, then they bulk purchased the run and the company making them (presumably in china) cheapened out on something.
Well I know there's a huge difference in how much gas I use based on air temp and how hard the ice is.  Late ice, warm weather I can get a lot more inches of ice per tank of gas than mid winter, cold weather... I'm sure eclectic augers are the same.  They would be silly not to do marketing testing during prime conditions, just like your fuel mileage analogy.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:26 AM »
Well I know there's a huge difference in how much gas I use based on air temp and how hard the ice is.  Late ice, warm weather I can get a lot more inches of ice per tank of gas than mid winter, cold weather... I'm sure eclectic augers are the same.  They would be silly not to do marketing testing during prime conditions, just like your fuel mileage analogy.

Yes but remember the caveat

"YOUR MILAGE MAY VARY"

or this caveat

'your mileage may very"
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #44 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:55 AM »
I bought the 40 volt this year and so far I love it.  Was out all day in 20 degree weather last weekend on 6 inches of ice. Drilled about 50 holes.  I purposely left the battery out in the cold all day to see how much the battery would drain. At the end of the day when I pressed the batter power button it still lit up all 4 lights!  I've been very impressed with it so far. I can't wait to test it in sub zero weather.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:02 AM »
I bought the 40 volt this year and so far I love it.  Was out all day in 20 degree weather last weekend on 6 inches of ice. Drilled about 50 holes.  I purposely left the battery out in the cold all day to see how much the battery would drain. At the end of the day when I pressed the batter power button it still lit up all 4 lights!  I've been very impressed with it so far. I can't wait to test it in sub zero weather.

Good to hear ..if I or others were in the market for an electric auger non cordless drill option ..I would get one of the Strikemaster options ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #46 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:20 AM »
I’m slightly confused on how many complaints on the 24 volt auger.  I got one for  Xmas and absolutely love it.

It’s lightweight cuts fast period!! I have gone out three days this week and didn’t have to charge it. After three days only one bar on battery used.

Even if you are a run and gun guy. I can’t see it feasible drilling that many holes. Maybe study your maps better and not be a numbers guy???
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:24 AM »
G fish, does yours cut effortlessly, like it drills itself or do you have to push down some to get it to go? As much as you love it, give an honest answer. Is yours an 8 or 6”?

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:32 AM »
8” I would say effortlessly is a tough word. I don’t push harder then my old 10” gas strikmaster auger. Or not as hard as my 6” lazer hand auger. If that answers your question??
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:52 AM »
No trimming or modification needed?

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2021, 01:17 PM »
I had a honda 4 stroke strikmaster, it did well, quieter then a two stroke, but last 2 years have used 40v strikemaster, its a dream. Way better, I use a 10 inch hole and it cuts through no problems. I leave the battery on out in the cold never had a problem. Keeps the snow out of the terminals. I keep a cover on it on rainy days, not sure you really need to but I have it so why not, and it runs fine with a cover on it...Prices level out after a few years if you have to have it first your going to pay..... :-).
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
Just enjoying life

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #52 on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:24 PM »
What did u have to modify
Just enjoying life

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 21, 2021, 03:37 PM »
Pretty cool mod! definitely a lot of cheaper than a SM battery. Is the Greenwork a 4ah or 5ah?

Offline boxerdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 21, 2021, 10:09 PM »
Pretty cool mod! definitely a lot of cheaper than a SM battery. Is the Greenwork a 4ah or 5ah?
It says 4 amp on the battery

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 27, 2021, 07:40 AM »
Well it needs 4 batteries lol. The 54 holes through 10” of ice isn’t very much. I still haven’t received my auger back yet. I sent it in last Monday so it’s been just over a week. I’m hoping it is back by this weekend and I can report back after giving it another go.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 27, 2021, 09:25 AM »
While I didn't count holes last weekend I would guess I got alot more than 540". Needed near zero down pressure. Still not sold on the electric idea but with stimulus money burning a hole in my pocket it was the most reasonable addition to my gear

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 27, 2021, 10:34 AM »
While I didn't count holes last weekend I would guess I got alot more than 540". Needed near zero down pressure. Still not sold on the electric idea but with stimulus money burning a hole in my pocket it was the most reasonable addition to my gear
Yep that’s why I got mine too. Stimulus money.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:10 PM »
All my buddies with the electric drill setups are pretty impressed by how light and efficient it drills. Now I just need to add an 8" Lite Flite bit to the arsenal since I have the 6". Will definitely be picking up another spare battery for the late season ice. 

Btw, if you are on the fence about getting it, Cabela's online bargain cave has the 8" 24v for $299.99. Add another spare battery for $74.99. That should put you at $374.98 total. Still under the retail. Can't beat that price.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Aluminum SM Lite Flite extension purchased and installed!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I guess I will be the rude one, but can you do anything about those HUGE pictures?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.