Author Topic: What makes the higher-priced MarCum flashers worth the money?  (Read 8162 times)

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
I bought my first flasher this season, a VX-1 Pro.  I LOVE it and wish I had bought a flasher many years ago.

I've used it in two venues: jigging panfish in six feet of water, and jigging perch in 30 feet of water.  In the shallow water, it was a pretty sure bet that any fish I saw was definitely sniffing my jig.  In the deeper water, I could see fish coming up to hit my jig, but I also had the feeling I was marking a lot of fish that were in the sonar cone, but not necessarily right under my jig.

Anyway, since I'm so happy with my basic unit, I'm already wondering what the nicer units do better...  I may even upgrade after tax return time and keep my VX-1P as a back-up/loaner.

I understand the added feature set of the LCD units, but what are the advantages of the LX-3 and LX-5?  Or are motor flashers becoming obsolete and machines like the LX-6 and LX-7 the way to go in the future?

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
Re: What makes the higher-priced MarCum flashers worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 06:31 PM »
Personally I would look at one of the lowrance or humminbird graphs. I own a few lowrance elites and think they are great but the new th helix looks like a great unit at a great price as well and will do pretty much anything the lx5,6 and 7 will do but with more reliability at a fraction of the price.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Adjustable zoom ...snow shield ....dual transducer ...target separation
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:57 PM »
x2
also like the crisp clear screen with no interference
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:24 PM »

Adjustable zoom --  I can see where that would be very handy for suspended fish.  I would like to have that feature.
Snow shield -- I can add one to mine for $14.
Dual angle transducer -- Would this give me the kind of precision I get with my machine in shallow water when I'm fishing in deeper water?  Is that the real-world benefit?  If it is, it sounds good.
Target separation -- I was pretty impressed when I could mark a tiny teardrop jig hanging on a four-inch dropper under my Swedish Pimple.  If two small fish are closer than a couple of inches apart, will my machine show them as one larger fish?  I can see where finer target separation would be very nice.

I guess after I use my VX-1P for a season, I'll start "needing" these other features.  To be honest, I'm so pleased with the way it works, I can hardly imagine wanting more from it.  I'm sure the novelty will wear off and I'll want more performance later on.

That brings the last question from my original post: Are old-style motor flashers going to become the "VHS cassette" while LCD flashers become the "DVD"?  I like the simplicity of the old-school flashers, but I've never seen an LX-6 or LX-7 in operation.  (Actually, I had never seen ANY flasher in use until I bought mine this month.)

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Fish within 6 feet of others using Marcum or Vexilar like fishing 3 in a pop up and see who wins the interference battle. If you never fish near someone else it is not a factor but if you do it becomes a big pain. With my LX5 I can fish right next to anyone with the ability to block out any interference at all. To me that is a biggie, zoom, add in the super fine line resolution, dual beam transducer (narrow beam), 12 settings of IR (interference rejection) I can also fish and see my jig when others give up because of bottom clutter when it starts to get dark. As far as the other high end units beside the LX5 I don't know, I know what does work LX5.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Adjustable zoom --  I can see where that would be very handy for suspended fish.  I would like to have that feature.
Snow shield -- I can add one to mine for $14.
Dual angle transducer -- Would this give me the kind of precision I get with my machine in shallow water when I'm fishing in deeper water? yes Is that the real-world benefit?Helps when in large schools of fish  If it is, it sounds good.
Target separation -- I was pretty impressed when I could mark a tiny teardrop jig hanging on a four-inch dropper under my Swedish Pimple.  If two small fish are closer than a couple of inches apart, will my machine show them as one larger fish? Yes if they are 1/2 inch separation I fished 30 fow this weekend using a buckshot jig and eyeball for bait.  when the eye was barely hanging on the hook I could see separation between the eye and buckshot. I can see where finer target separation would be very nice.

I guess after I use my VX-1P for a season, I'll start "needing" these other features.  To be honest, I'm so pleased with the way it works, I can hardly imagine wanting more from it.  I'm sure the novelty will wear off and I'll want more performance later on.

That brings the last question from my original post: Are old-style motor flashers going to become the "VHS cassette" while LCD flashers become the "DVD"?  I like the simplicity of the old-school flashers, but I've never seen an LX-6 or LX-7 in operation.  (Actually, I had never seen ANY flasher in use until I bought mine this month.)

Tight lines,
Bob

the LX 6 and 7 have the graph mode that's awesome.

BOWHTR

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Your VX 1 will do you just fine ...it will make you search for fish . Good Luck.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Upgrades of the fishing and hunting community kill me.Every year they come out with NEW and IMPROVED stuff and every year some guy's got to have it. Some people have more money than brains.One of my associates makes 65 grand pension a year,he buy more new stuff an over analyzes everything.He sells just about everything he buys the next year.He has a FL-28 to fish 9 -12 flow.lol He still can't get more than a handful of keeper gills all day.lol

Offline hawk56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:04 AM »
Well I recently purchased the lx7 had 2 showdowns before selling one on the upgrade. It was an easy transition since using the showdown for so long the color part was simple. I was out reading brush last night through the ice with the showdown, mobile friendly. Ended up kicking some holes open and bringing home some crappies. I am impressed with the lx7 and have things to learn. But I did find my self asking why the upgrade. Vexilar has gone digital with the 28 I think you are accurate that old technology will phase out, people will be hesitant to let go but will. Some will keep the security blanket as a backup others will sell them making those technologies available to the newcomer. Is down/side imaging, more phone apps in the works who knows whats coming, mind boggling. Were in a tech age. Learn your equipment and youll be fine. Its just fishing.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:40 AM »
I have the LX6 and  I like being able to have the verticle display (like a showdown) that also doubles as your adjustable zoom, the round flasher display (to pick up suspended fish outside of the zoom display in deep water) and the graph display all up on the screen at once

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:19 AM »
VX-1.  Use it, love it, and be proud. Simplicity is a beautiful thing. My first and only is an LX-5.  Fantastic! Then i bought my sister and nephew VX-1 Pros. And I instantly felt like a putz for spending the extra cash. This was awhile ago when the LX-5 was the top model. And probably really still is. The only unneeded feature I use and like is the fine-line separation. Kinda cool to see that your Hali has lost its spike. cheers.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Yes that is a great comparison, if your flasher can show you when you lost your waxie you know you are getting a great signal. And if it can block out interference from a near by flasher then that is all you need. Another good test is to take a few small spikes/maggots and drop them down the hole, you should be able to watch them sink on your unit all the way to the bottom.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:18 AM »
Nothing, my $250 X67c will see and catch the same fish.  To each their own.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Personally I would look at one of the lowrance or humminbird graphs. I own a few lowrance elites and think they are great but the new th helix looks like a great unit at a great price as well and will do pretty much anything the lx5,6 and 7 will do but with more reliability at a fraction of the price.

What is a th helix ?

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Here this sums it up pretty well.
LX-5
"Still the most advanced flasher-sonar ever built the marcum lx-5 offers dazzlingly bright and crisp color images, bottom vegetation, fish, baitfish, your lure all displayed with the highest resolution available in a commercial grade flasher. Acute .75" inch target separation distinctly identifies each individual object on screen so you clearly discern the miniscule separation of a bluegill about to kiss your ice jig. marcum's high power lx-5 features the highest performance standards available driven
by a bold 2500 watts of peak-to-peak power. vivid truecolor technology displays the finest screen detail possible. while a precision-tuned dual beam transducer allows the user to switch between 8 degrees and 20 degrees cone angles for deep and shallow water use. touch-key operation includes an industry-best patented interference rejection (ir) system for knocking out `noise signals from nearby sonar units. also key is a patented moveable zoom feature that allows the user to zero-in on any segment of the water column. among other sonar refinements the lx-5's superfine line feature improves screen resolution and enhances target separation down to .75"inch. the marcum difference is obvious and immediate. manufactured in the usa all marcum flashers (lx-7 lx-5 lx-3tc vx-1pro) include padded softpacks rechargeable batteries and battery chargers and a screen-protecting snow shield."

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  Right now, I'm plenty happy with my VX-1P and may never upgrade.  But if i do, the LX-5 is probably what I'd be interested in.

Thanks again,
Bob

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:09 PM »
One more feature I have noticed with a LX5 it drives others away from you because there units can not block out the powerful interference that a lx5 puts out. You will send guys using most vexilars far away from you. :)

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:44 PM »
One more feature I have noticed with a LX5 it drives others away from you because there units can not block out the powerful interference that a lx5 puts out. You will send guys using most vexilars far away from you. :)
Maybe because of the needless amped crystal pinging scaring the fish away?  I have NEVER encountered interference that couldn't be rejected, and fished around dozens of anglers.  I'm sure there are extremely rare exceptions, of course.  Used a Vexilar fl-8se and fl-18 with no issues. 

In response to the OP, the VX-1p seems to have most or all of what you could ever need.  It compares feature-wise with the fl-18 I use.  Costs less too.  I have a Vexilar paired with a tri-ducer.  If you fish for multiple species in many different depths, it is better to have multiple cone angles so you are not picking up on targets well out of your jig zone.  Not sure if Marcum has a comparable option. 

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:57 PM »
There is no need for 3 cone angles. My marcum has 2 cone angles and rarely do I ever switch to the other. What cone angles are offered on the tri-beam ducer? The only way I see it helpful is when fishing next to another unit and you're experiencing interference where you have 2 different frequency to choose from to help with the crosstalk of signals. Other than that? Its just a gimmick at least for ice fishing

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:27 PM »

X2 never heard of any x67 sent back for repair on IS-- ANY lowrance graph for that matter...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:38 PM »
There is no need for 3 cone angles. My marcum has 2 cone angles and rarely do I ever switch to the other. What cone angles are offered on the tri-beam ducer? The only way I see it helpful is when fishing next to another unit and you're experiencing interference where you have 2 different frequency to choose from to help with the crosstalk of signals. Other than that? Its just a gimmick at least for ice fishing

I use the narrow beam 8° a lot to get rid of bottom clutter at dark when the bottom comes alive on some lakes. Even the owner of the bait shop when I was looking at a new FL8SE I asked about interference IR, he said yea still get interference if near a Marcum you can block some of it out but not all.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:49 PM »

Dual angle transducer -- Would this give me the kind of precision I get with my machine in shallow water when I'm fishing in deeper water?  Is that the real-world benefit?  If it is, it sounds good.

Yes and no. The cone angle is smaller thus the fish that show up are likely closer to your jig.
The biggest advantage I find is when fishing in weeds and sharp breaks.
On a sharp break the wider cone will mark bottom as shallower than the actual depth. The narrow cone will mark deeper and give you a better chance at seeing bottom hugging fish.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:02 PM »
Went out today and marked a few fish on the LX 7 my Elite 5x would have marked one big blob

BOWHTR

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:09 AM »

X2 never heard of any x67 sent back for repair on IS-- ANY lowrance graph for that matter...

Funny when I look for x67 or x 67c all I find is no longer available and or discontinued. But always got to have Lowrance or Vexilar guys chiming in on a Marcum thread.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:32 AM »
Not a Lowrance guy.  OP asked if they were worth the high price and basically what I was getting at is no.  Any of the entry level ice machines, Marcum, Vexilar, Bird, Lowrance will get you into the fish just the same as the top of the line flashers from the same makers. Like I said to each their own.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:58 AM »
There is no need for 3 cone angles. My marcum has 2 cone angles and rarely do I ever switch to the other. What cone angles are offered on the tri-beam ducer? The only way I see it helpful is when fishing n. t to another unit and you're experiencing interference where you have 2 different frequency to choose from to help with the crosstalk of signals. Other than that? Its just a gimmick at least for ice fishing
Triducer has 8, 12, and 20 degrees.  It is not a gimmick, just another way to dial in to how you are fishing.  An advantage over a single cone.  I use the 8 degree fishing for lakers 80 ft down.  12 when fishing for perch or walleye in 20-30 ft range, and under 20fow I use the 20 degree.  Having multiple narrow views of the bottom are exactly what you want when ice fishing.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Having a dual cone (8/20) can be advantageous but for vexilar to come out with an extra cone 12 deg ??? An extra 4 degrees really? Now thats a gimmick!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Kind of like a razor with 4 blades.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:49 AM »
The best answer for this question is answering the question, "Is this the one that I want?". That's all I really go by when buying anything whether it's for hunting, fishing, or ANY-THING. Getting what I want always trumps the idea of affordability. If I don't get exactly what I want then I'm settling for something else and that DON'T make any sense to me ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.