Author Topic: Dremel ice auger blade sharpening kit.  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Dremel ice auger blade sharpening kit.
« on: Aug 05, 2017, 12:06 AM »
I see dremel makes a kit that would sharpen you lawnmower blades. Wouldn't it be sweet if they made an attachment to sharpen ice auger blades that would put the correct angle on the blade and sharpen it. 

I know I'd get one. it is getting crazy what they charge to sharpen a blade anymore.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Dremel ice auger blade sharpening kit.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Was thinking just a bench grinder and a polishing wheel with some wood block/jigs cut to keep the right angles might work to sharpen the blades.....anyone doing anything like that?

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2017, 07:00 PM »
As long as you get the angle right it will work , I have an old set of blades I'm going to play with

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2017, 08:52 PM »
As long as you get the angle right it will work , I have an old set of blades I'm going to play with

I'm thinking just get the angle right......I'm thinking a jig (block of wood) cut at the correct angle degree to set the blade. Thinking two blocks. one for the front face, then one for the cutting edge.

I found that the bevel on the mora blade (cutting edge) needs to be 38*. not sure about 2ndary edge. Anyone know? Also I would assume that would be the same for a lazer......?

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Speaking of blades....last year I noticed my Nils 6" orange that I use with my drill was going into the ice straight but  would end up at some weird slight angle when done.   Is that a sign of dull blade?    I just bought another and set that one aside.

I have been looking for Frank's contact info on here, anybody have it?  I figure now is a good time to send one in.

Thanks
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Frank DeLuca at [email protected]
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Speaking of blades....last year I noticed my Nils 6" orange that I use with my drill was going into the ice straight but  would end up at some weird slight angle when done.   Is that a sign of dull blade?    I just bought another and set that one aside.

I have been looking for Frank's contact info on here, anybody have it?  I figure now is a good time to send one in.

Thanks

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=199166
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2017, 10:08 AM »

Thanks

I bought a used power point head and it was sharpened by frank. It was impressive.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2017, 10:44 AM »
The lansky knife sharpener kit with the metal rods that fit into the angel guide work good. Magic marker the original angle and tweek rod if needed to match.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2017, 05:24 AM »
I'm with Flint. I have a Lansky jig, once you get the hang of it they work great.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2017, 02:20 PM »
Well I sent an email to each of the major companies asking what the front bevel and secondary face should have for an angle on the blades from the shaver style to the lazer style blades to sharpen them.

The responses I got back were very sad. They wouldn't give out the angles, and basicly tried to say that the blades shouldn't be sharpened and that once they were dull the blades were shot. Then I was told to basicly buy new ice blades from them. LOL. I mean really do they think people are ignorant? I never got a response back when I asked if this was the same view they took on the filet knifes they sold. Trying to say that an ice auger blade can't be sharpened is just sad. Plenty of places do it. These companies today have really started to go a little to far with things. I understand they need to make money, but flat out lying about things so they can make a buck is getting to be rediculous. It would be one thing if they sold new quality blades for $15-$20 but most of them want $35-$50 for the decent quality ones. Heck with what they want to charge a guy he might has well just buy a new shaver auger for $40.

Well enough soap box talk. If anyone has information about the angles of the cutting edge and secondary face angles for the lazer style and shaver style blades please post it. Otherwise I'll be finding some tools and measuring them if I can.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Take a new blade to a sheet of glass and hold the bevel to it and measure with a protractor then just add a couple of degrees to the fine edge. I take a blade and layout blue or magic marker the bevel and tune the lansky rod to clean the dye off of the entire edge.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2017, 07:39 PM »
All of the above, or just do this...
https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/ 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2017, 09:35 PM »
All of the above, or just do this...
https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/ 

I've used them in the past. Not bad, but just want to be able to do it myself.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2017, 09:38 PM »
Take a new blade to a sheet of glass and hold the bevel to it and measure with a protractor then just add a couple of degrees to the fine edge. I take a blade and layout blue or magic marker the bevel and tune the lansky rod to clean the dye off of the entire edge.

Thanks great way to find them.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 08, 2017, 07:55 AM »
I bought five sets from gander going out of business for 16 dollars each couldn't believe no one else had bought them at this price sharpening prices are almost as bad as the blades i wonder sometimes if thats the real reason thry went away from smooth blades....🤔
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2017, 11:27 PM »
Holy cow, I hand sharpened the jiffy jet blades with sand paper and used my knife sharpener to sharpen some filet knifes.....they were sharp, just not shave the hair off your arm sharp.

To them to a buffing wheel and wow........you could shave with them now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.