Author Topic: Stain/poly/varnish Heritage Laker Tip Ups or not  (Read 1458 times)

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
Stain/poly/varnish Heritage Laker Tip Ups or not
« on: Nov 22, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Over the last 4 years I have gotten back into ice fishing and have been upgrading my equipment a little each year. I have been using my fathers 40+ year old basic tip ups which have gotten the job done but figured I would invest in some Heritage Laker traps that I will own the rest of my life and maybe be able to pass down to my kids. After searching CL and FB I was able to track down a lot of 12 for a great price (hard for me to pay $40+ each for brand new). I went with these because I am a fan of this style trap, their build quality and the availability of parts if something were to break or need replacement.

Now that I have them I have been debating.....

Leave them as bare wood?
Put a coat of stain on them?
Put a couple coats of Poly on them?
Should I use Spar vanish or just plain minwax poly?

For the ones who do put a finish on them, how often do you reapply if ever?

Thanks!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
Re: Stain/poly/varnish Heritage Laker Tip Ups or not
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2022, 11:11 AM »
I refinished my heritage's a couple years ago came out great! just used minwax poly, if you want to put a stain to color them thats fine but definately poly them after. I also changed everything to stainless hardware and rebuilt the spool assembly they work great. Roccus had a great write up on it in this forum follow it you will not regret it.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2022, 10:41 AM »
Roccus had a great write up on it in this forum follow it you will not regret it.

Not sure if this is the write-up you're referring to (I think he's done more than one) but if you scroll down a ways in my thread from last winter, you can get some information he provided in typical Roccus detail and overall helpfulness. 

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=386178.0

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2022, 11:52 AM »
The building of the "Stealth Bomber" has some good info to look at as well...

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=385704.0
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2022, 03:43 PM »
A coat of dark stain will keep them from freezing in too bad on a sunny day as the dark will soak up the suns heat. Poly is a must to keep your wood from deteriorating over time plus it keeps the wood from swelling up at the reel. This will act like you've tightened up your drag as the tip -up sits in the water. 

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2022, 04:47 PM »
I would use spar urethane. It holds up better to the cold and the water. More flexible and less likely to crack.

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2022, 07:47 PM »
Jack Traps is having their annual Black Friday sale on everything thru the entire weekend and they already come with a coat of poly on em…..

I picked up another 5 foot tall BigBob 

I got a Chamberlain Lake trip in the books and I need something I can see with 4 feet of snow on the lake.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2022, 07:17 PM »
My issue w heritage is that sometimes the wing nuts don’t tighten enough to keep the cross members in place and can be loose even though they are hand tightened all the way

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:08 AM »
My issue w heritage is that sometimes the wing nuts don’t tighten enough to keep the cross members in place and can be loose even though they are hand tightened all the way
Add a washer to the bolt on the wing nut end, the added surface/friction surface helps keep them from folding
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2022, 12:40 PM »
Appreciate it thank you, i have a set that are backups to my backups so I will do that

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2022, 08:14 AM »
Its the reel shaft that begins to pull out as the wood comes and goes...hence the nut runs out of thread...it can be annoying...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2022, 09:48 AM »
Its the reel shaft that begins to pull out as the wood comes and goes...hence the nut runs out of thread...it can be annoying...
The problem has. Been addressed a few time, so has a viable upgrade, read the treads and you wont be annoyed any longer
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.