Author Topic: Heater Buddy FLEX first trip  (Read 706 times)

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
Heater Buddy FLEX first trip
« on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:30 PM »
So my portable buddy was on its last leg, wasn't waiting for a let down. Pulled trigger on mr heater buddy flex and cooker. Found a deal and felt like a no Brainer
First trip out it fired up nicely and ran good until bottle was 80% empty. took the very frosty can off and was surprised it wasn't empty. Put on a new can (2:00 am and tired) and I couldn't get it to fire up, 30 minutes of pilot light fluttering and not catching. I was very frustrated. Finnaly put my finger over pilot area and let it load up with propane and FINALLY heat.
The heater did turn off randomly a few times (door open so not low o2  or wind). Most of the time was easy to restart.
Then tried the cooker, fired right up for 2 second and went out. And I struggled to get it started (will blame on learning curve) once it was on it was great. Like the main unit, randomly shut off.
It is very awkward attaching the grill to the heater..seems like easy concept but they dont nest together well and takes some effort to line it up and clip it on. Also why on earth did they put heater controls on the back of everything?! I knew this but didn't realize how awkward it would be...
The take away is great idea but under engineered imo
The good: modular, sturdy, electric ignition, and a place on top you can put something and it won't freeze or melt
The bad: wouldn't stay lit, uses only 80% of bottle, awkward controls, heavy, annoying to clip cooker to heater.
This was trip one, havnt read any other first impressions other then a couple guys on YouTube testing it on their tail gate
Hoping for a better review next trip

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Heater Buddy FLEX first trip
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:06 PM »
I think the footprint of the flex is a little less efficient for small spaces as opposed the smaller Buddy.

That said I didn't have the issues you had of randomly turning off. I also haven't run a full bottle through it yet so I can't attest to it using the bottle in its entirety.

I do like the wider dispersion of the heat too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.