New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ICEFISHING, FRIENDS AND MORE!  (Read 246159 times)

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ICEFISHING, FRIENDS AND MORE!
« Reply #1680 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:07 AM »
yes. Haven't seen anyone on our lake but still froze over. Long pond in Smithville still good to go too.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1681 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:23 AM »

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1682 on: Mar 23, 2018, 03:57 PM »

Got out today and fished from 8:00-2:00 kept 17 that were 9-12.5.” Tossed loads of 8.5” fish back

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1683 on: Mar 23, 2018, 04:55 PM »
Nice job Fred!

17 must have been the magic number today. I did the afternoon shift from 1:00 - 5:00 on my private lake.  ;D

Kept 17 and tossed back a few small ones.

Maybe my last trip.  :'(

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1684 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Nice work guys.  Makes me want some myself...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1685 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Well done Bruce , it’s always sad to see it go , I’m thinking I might get a few more days , depending on the shore line ,

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1686 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Great job, guys.

Just got my perch rods ready for tomorrow. And now preparing the trolling rods for spring Browns. If I was a little more ambitious I could knock them both out this weekend.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1687 on: Mar 23, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Good luck tomorrow Chow. It should be a great day.

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1688 on: Mar 23, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Wow, that's awesome fishin' guys!

I know you 2 guys are in tune with the ice, so I'll just say be careful.

Oh yeah, Good Luck too!

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1689 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:41 PM »
Great job guys! Glad you made it out and found some  ;D
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1690 on: Mar 24, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Got out today on Oneida with KP and chowdaire
 Tough going for the ol buzzard landed 17 perch 6 whites and 4 eyes ,the yellows weren’t anything real note worthy but they’ll eat , not sure how the other 2 made out ,
   Walk out was a breeze on the way in the snow had softened up which made for a bit of a grind ,
  I was informed east shore bait and tackle will be opening at 7:00 am

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1691 on: Mar 24, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Was a great day on the ice today... weather wise. Sunny and breezy. I struggled to find fish most of the day. Last move I made around noon put me on a school of juvenile perch, that had an occasional bigger fish. I had 3 flurries that allowed me to put 29 perch in the pail. The fish weren’t the jumbos of Oneida. Kept 8.5-11” fish today. No walleye for me today... last day on the ice for me. Great day fishing with friends!! Life is good!! End of story!!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #1692 on: Mar 24, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Glad Release, Andy, and Chow had a nice day on the ice! :thumbsup: Even better, glad all stayed topside and safe!!! :thumbsup:
Wayne W.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1693 on: Mar 24, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Great job guys! It looked like a perfect day to be out there.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1694 on: Mar 25, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Thanks guys!! Be safe if you venture out Bruce. 😎

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1695 on: Mar 25, 2018, 08:36 AM »
Nice job guys. You did a lot better than me. I couldn’t find those perch to save my life. The highlight of my day was finding a spot where some fat smallies were cruising and picking up a few of them.

Until next season...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1696 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:33 AM »
last day on the ice for me. Great day fishing with friends!! Life is good!! End of story!!!

I keep saying same thing then we get another cold snap and I find  ice that will hold my old ____ up  :roflmao:

been a crazy year and crazy weather ...please be safe guys and good luck 

KP  glad ya had fun  ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1697 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Nice job on the  fish guy's.

My ice gear is cleaned up and packed away until next season.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1698 on: Mar 25, 2018, 11:02 AM »
Nice job guys. You did a lot better than me. I couldn’t find those perch to save my life. The highlight of my day was finding a spot where some fat smallies were cruising and picking up a few of them.

Until next season...
I figured you would’ve pushed in close after I text you. Freddie went off into the next ozone looking for fish. 😁 1/4 mile walk west of us... ol buzzard still got some steam left in the tank!!💪

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1699 on: Mar 25, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Trap, I seriously cleaned up and put away all of my ice gear this morning. Josh and I would’ve been on open water down south with his boat, if, it didn’t get pinned behind two vehicles in storage. 😡 they get moved out first week in April....😎

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #1700 on: Mar 25, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Nice job to those who got out! Found some safe ice close to home, with some sorting ended up keeping 34 gills, 1 perch, and a few crappie.  Didn't think it was going to happen but those cold nights firmed things up nicely. Fun to share a nice spring day on the ice with some fellow fishers.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1701 on: Mar 25, 2018, 12:08 PM »
King Perch....Tell Josh that I hope he has a terrific year bass fishing ! ....and keep us posted on MFF ! ;)
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1702 on: Mar 25, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Good work on the panfish Dave!!!😎
King Perch....Tell Josh that I hope he has a terrific year bass fishing ! ....and keep us posted on MFF ! ;)

Thanks Steve!! Will do! Looks like Dad will once again spend tourney time on the rear deck!! Life is Good!! 😎

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1703 on: Mar 25, 2018, 12:50 PM »

Well done mr burn 👍🏻

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #1704 on: Mar 25, 2018, 02:14 PM »
good job on the fish fellers.......got back from Myrtle Beach yesterday and couldn't wait to get back on the ice.....NOT......but went anyways ;)......Sylvan Beach has at least 20"+ of white ice.......didn't drill any holes, just drilled open a couple that were used yesterday....TOO LAZY......had at least 3/4" of ice on em......pretty slow, but got a half dozen mediums for supper.......headin for Florida tuesday for family duties and am really hoping for ice season to be done when I get back........these southern trips are making me want some warmth up here.......hope April is better than March...just sayin

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1705 on: Mar 25, 2018, 02:15 PM »
oh.....and forgot to mention wheelers and sleds were out.......walking is easy though

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1706 on: Mar 25, 2018, 03:46 PM »

So they didn’t fire up that’s to bad I was looking forward to better news

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1707 on: Mar 25, 2018, 03:59 PM »
So they didn’t fire up that’s to bad I was looking forward to better news
had a very short flurry after I talked to you Fred.....then went dead....was home by noon

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1708 on: Mar 26, 2018, 02:59 AM »
Yo Guys and Gals,

I managed to get out yesterday. Was supposed to meet up with a bud on Goose bay, but ended up fishing with a bunch of strangers (Not for long) from Boonville. Glad they turned out to be friendlies as Old Boggey had to rerig the old F150 with ice fishing equipment I had put away in the barn and low and behold , forgot the nils. They were nice enough to let me use there auger and I cut some holes with in talking distance from them  and proceeded to do what I do best. No not singing, :cookoo: :cookoo:, catching dink perch in 3 fow. I've had lots of experience catchin dinks at the Pond and knew if one is patient and endures, there are bound to be some keepers in the mix. There were, maybe say a 20 -one keep ratio.

Anyway, let me preface this short story with the set up that old Boggey has been off the ice for nearly a month and I was pleasantly surprised when one of my north country buds ,,John, told me he has been fishing on 10 to 12 inches of ice at Goose Bay and Chippewa on a regular basis for the last week. On entry at the South side boat ramp the ice was solid and crusty . No snow to speak of and an easy drag,if you were dragging. i was not. I was a pail sitter for the day,a pole, a spud and my bait can. There were about 10 other shanties and pail sitters on the ice when I arrived at 8:30. A side note . get there early as the parking lot was full . I parked about a  block away in an area that did not have "No Parking " signs on it.

A few observations, the ice was 10 inches thick for the 2 holes I cut with one inch of white crusty ice on top. I had my monocular with me and scoped the north side of the bay (Kring's Point). There was visible open water around the point and in the channel. The perennial air boat was at work stirring up the ice chunks and breaking up the ice mat for the boaters. One lone fishing boat was noted with 2 occupants from my vantage point on the ice. The weather was cool, 24 degrees,and overcast on entry with a slight 10 mph wind from the north east. The sun came out about 10:30 and it warmed to a brisk but warming 42 degrees by the time I left at 2, thanking my new found friends from Boonville for the loan of the auger and the conversation. 

The catch would have numbered a thousand plus with some of the smallest perch I have seen all year. The keep was 30 nice perch of 9 inches to eleven inches in my pail. My best luck was when I switched to eyes from my spikes and fat heads. Those dinks can raid your hooke relentlessly if you let them. It is much harder for them to get the perch eyes off the hook, plus it keeps your jig in the water a lot more when you are not constantly re-baiting it.

As usual, these are my own observations, I am not advocating nor disapproving of access to Goose Bay. All should be cognizant of varying ice conditions and changing weather patterns as this time of year should warrant. I might have forgotten my auger, but notice, I did not forget my spud. Spud Sp[ud Spud.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1709 on: Mar 26, 2018, 04:09 AM »
nice little  report there  mr boggey  glad you  got a  few  in that bucket  :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.