Author Topic: cooking with mr.buddy heater  (Read 305775 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: cooking with mr.buddy heater
« Reply #240 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:47 AM »
I didnt notice the handle becoming hot until I was heating up my clam chowder in an aluminum bread container. Seemed like the edge of the grate was what was transferring the heat to the handle. I had the container touching the left edge of the grate and it was as if the container with food was warming the edge of that grate on the left side then tranferring that heat to the handle on the left side only. Does that make sense lol  ;D. Without the container and the soup warming, it never got hot at all even after 20 min. Im sure if you arent heating it up long it will be fine, just have to keep an eye on it if its being heated for a long time.

Go back to the early pages of this discussion where I showed the paint tray idea exactly as you have it except I have the Buddy with the fixed handle. My first attempt I had the grate surface too short so the pan had to be too close to the handle. The heat deflected off the tin foil pan and did melt my handle. My second attempt I made the grate stick out a little further in the front so the pan stayed further away from the handle and it works fine now and the food heats faster. I messed around with a high temp thermometer to find where the most heat was concentrated and it is hottest right about 6 inches forward of the fixed handle when there is no wind. Make the grate so your cooking pan sits with the center of it about 6 inches from the handle and you will have plenty of heat and it will not melt the handle. I have used mine this way for over 5 years now and it works great. You need to find cooking pans the right size so there is a gap between the edge of the pan and the handle.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Homemade

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Mr. Buddy Heater- grill set up
« Reply #241 on: Dec 18, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Clean looking mod!

Offline showdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #242 on: Dec 18, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Great detail. Thanks

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #243 on: Dec 18, 2011, 06:23 PM »
I mean Grate! ::)
Fish on!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #244 on: Dec 18, 2011, 06:50 PM »
cool set up . now that the ice is coming so late I will have time to build one on mine. wish i didnt have so much time .wishing for cold weather in southern iowa
Never to many short poles

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #245 on: Dec 19, 2011, 03:49 AM »
Gamalot... Yes Id be lieing if I said I didnt get my general setup idea from you. After looking at them all, yours was the simplest and cheapest. But I did it "a little" differently ;D. I didnt mod the hangers on the grate. And I dont use any hardware attachments. After playin around with the grate, I like it alot how I got it. Thanks for your ingenuity! Yours was definitely the one that sparked my interest in making one!  ;).

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #246 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:21 AM »
This discussion has been loaded with some great ideas from many. Some that I would list as severe over kill but if it floats your boat then it is fine with me.

I said this way back, if Mr. Heater wanted us to cook on our Buddies they would incorporate a simple flip up grate that would flip back down when not in use. There is probably some sort of legal reasoning as to why they have not done so. I do know if you happen to spill cold liquid on the glowing ceramic there is a good chance it will crack so you do have to be careful. I would highly recommend against frying and cooking from scratch stuff like bacon but that is up to you. Nothing is quite as nice as a good hot stew while sitting out on the ice and my Buddy serves the purpose very well.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #247 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:24 AM »
wouldnt even cook a full blown meal on my but i will heat up a full blown meal that I made the night before and wrapped it in foil...Cook it the night before and wrap it up. It will warm up fast and without the mess.  ;D
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #248 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:33 AM »
wouldnt even cook a full blown meal on my but i will heat up a full blown meal that I made the night before and wrapped it in foil...Cook it the night before and wrap it up. It will warm up fast and without the mess.  ;D

Find those little tin foil pans with lids like I showed and they come in all sorts of sizes and styles. I prefer stuff like stew or chili that I can eat with just a fork but I have seen guys take a full blown Turkey dinner in the foil pans that are divided. You might as well freeze them at home and take them frozen to avoid the mess of spilling. They will probably be frozen any way if you fish early and leave them on the ice until lunch time. I made a batch of Venison Stew yesterday and have 5 pans in the freezer and ready for ice.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #249 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:46 AM »
Find those little tin foil pans with lids like I showed and they come in all sorts of sizes and styles. I prefer stuff like stew or chili that I can eat with just a fork but I have seen guys take a full blown Turkey dinner in the foil pans that are divided. You might as well freeze them at home and take them frozen to avoid the mess of spilling. They will probably be frozen any way if you fish early and leave them on the ice until lunch time. I made a batch of Venison Stew yesterday and have 5 pans in the freezer and ready for ice.

i have used the small pans before... I liek the idea of freezing them in the pan... I could make a large batch of chilli and seperate into appropriate sized foil pans and freeze. Thaw them out the day before so they would heat up faster.....We drive our trucks on the ice so spilling really isnt an issue.

U can even make grill cheese sandwiches the night before and wrap them in foil and in just a few mins you have a nice grill cheese on the ice with zero mess!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #250 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:25 AM »
i have used the small pans before... I liek the idea of freezing them in the pan... I could make a large batch of chilli and seperate into appropriate sized foil pans and freeze. Thaw them out the day before so they would heat up faster.....We drive our trucks on the ice so spilling really isnt an issue.

U can even make grill cheese sandwiches the night before and wrap them in foil and in just a few mins you have a nice grill cheese on the ice with zero mess!

We are fortunate to be able to have power augers here but absolutely no vehicles of any kind allowed. My trail to the ice is down a bumpy hill where I must walk the bait first. Frozen pans work great for me and I don't mind the heat while thawing them and heating them up. My first Buddy cooking was done with one of those wire sandwich contraptions and grilled cheese in foil. Worked great and I just kept flipping the thing until they were warm. My plan is to lighten the load every way I can and the painters screen weighs just a few ounces. If I could drive my truck I would probably take the kitchen sink! ;D

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #251 on: Dec 19, 2011, 03:53 PM »
I would definatly attach that extra lip.... last thing you want is to lose your lunch on the ice/floor.........Great idea!!! I am going to go out on a limb and say that is the most versatile and creative cooking mod yet...!!!!!!! ;D

I added on the lip and then wrapped the handle of the buddy where it contacts the spatula with some rescue tape (good to 500 deg F). It has worked great.  Even without the rescue tape I didn't see any melting of the buddy handle but I am guessing if I was using it to cook longer it may, so better to just wrap the handle.   I have a rubber washer as well but don't think I will need it.

I used it it this weekend to heat up some leftovers and to heat some water.  worked great!

Rescue tape wrapped around handle.

Offline janwil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #252 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:41 PM »
When I'm on the ice; I am way too busy baiting hooks, changing rigs and unhooking fish to so any cooking!  Sounds like some good ideas though.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #253 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:41 AM »
I added on the lip and then wrapped the handle of the buddy where it contacts the spatula with some rescue tape (good to 500 deg F). It has worked great.  Even without the rescue tape I didn't see any melting of the buddy handle but I am guessing if I was using it to cook longer it may, so better to just wrap the handle.   I have a rubber washer as well but don't think I will need it.

I used it it this weekend to heat up some leftovers and to heat some water.  worked great!

(Image removed from quote.)

Rescue tape wrapped around handle.

where do you get rescue tape and what does it run for price?

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #254 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:11 AM »
Works great for heating up a can of Chef-boy-r-d.  I'll stand one can on top of another; stir and turn it about every ten minutes or so depending on how close you put the can. :tipup:

Z
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #255 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:19 AM »
where do you get rescue tape and what does it run for price?

I have seen it at a few different places from $5-$10,  the Fleet/Farm store has it.   It is basic tape that is used to repair all kinds of things in a bind, like a bad muffler, plumbing issue or car hose etc.   Probably a few different brands of the stuff, this is just what I had in the shop. 

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #256 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:36 AM »
I have seen it at a few different places from $5-$10,  the Fleet/Farm store has it.   It is basic tape that is used to repair all kinds of things in a bind, like a bad muffler, plumbing issue or car hose etc.   Probably a few different brands of the stuff, this is just what I had in the shop. 

excellent thanks!!!

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #257 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:04 AM »
I think it is so ironic that I just brought home a Mr. Buddy yesterday, and I found this topic tonight!! I'll be making some mods for sure, but I just had to deactivate the tipping shutoff sensor because I felt it was WAY too sensitive. It does require pretty much taking the whole unit apart, but it once disassembled, it was just a matter of unplugging the sensor (it is wired "in line" to the thermocouple) and running a connection wire in place of the sensor. BTW, the CO sensor is totally different, and is located in the pilot light mechanism. Anyhow.....my real reason for this post is to share a memory I hope to replicate with the mods listed. My father was a body man, and on Saturdays I had to go work for him....sweeping floors, wet sanding, hand rubbing newly painted cars, etc. I REALLY hated the work......I think that was my old man's plan....but I so looked forward to lunch. Big Ed had this electric hot plate, onto which he would set a handmade wire grid. The legs on the grid would keep the surface about 1" off the element. He would then take the cold sandwiches my mother would make and set them over the hotplate. It was so frickin hot, that it would literally scorch the bread in just seconds, but the smell and being able to eat a hot sandwich for lunch is a memory I will NEVER forget! I'm wondering if one of those sandwich grates you see in the camping sections of the stores, placed over the "hot spot" of my Mr. Buddy will produce the same results I remember so fondly..........I'll let you know!!

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #258 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:30 AM »
My  Mr. Buddy Heater has a low oxygen sensor not a Co2 sensor. As someone else said there is a big difference between the two. Second, I own a body shop so be careful what you say  ;D  lol..and last but not least..I had good results making grilled ham n cheese with mine  as well as lots of other stuff. It seems as if the possibilities are endless with a little ingenuity.

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #259 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Sorry WOA.....I just meant I did not like that kind of work!!! I also stand corrected, it is indeed a low o2 sensor not a CO sensor!!! I think I had CO on the mind as I had just read about a great inexpensive CO detector used by pilots! The main reason for my post was to let folks know that very simple things they may be doing with their kids now, can have everlasting memories for them!  Ed

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #260 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Just got my heater today. spent some time finding this post again as it was buried 19 pages back.  Thanks for the "grate" idea. It clinched my buying the buddy heater. :clap: :clap:

Offline Oahuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #261 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:20 PM »
yep me too. Guess I'm buying a buddy for sure! Great post!
I'm pretty dammit!

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #262 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:11 PM »
I've wanted a way to heat up a cold sandwich or drink with my Mr. Buddy heater and tonight I think I found away. $4 dollars for a flat spit basket in the grilling section of local home improvement store.

UPDATE DECEMBER 29, 2011
Using aluminum foil to contain drips while cooking with your Mr. Buddy Heater is a good idea.  :)
Letting the aluminum foil come in contact with the plastic handle is a bad idea.  :(
I now have a slightly modified/melted handle and am headed back to the R&D department for improvement.
Matt
I did my mod, ordered an other grill for my Buddy and altered it for my cooker.

These inspired me to go out and upgrade from my little buddy! Cant wait to try this out on the ice

Offline Wheezzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #263 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Found a rack at the local thrift store for $2. put a couple bends in it, and it fits perfectly..

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Small camp grill attached with small hose clamps.

You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #265 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #266 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:26 AM »
One thing I like about this site is the ideas everyone has. Smitty sled, Led lights, buddy cooker mod and so on. I really like these mods I have one question anyone ever test the temp at the grate??? Reason being is I powder coat and was thinking of doing something like the painting rack and I have some black coating that can probably get up to about 650f I think we make the coating for the front grate of the buddy heater and the red on the rest of it.
Gator Nation

Offline skavenger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #267 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:08 AM »
This thread is awesome for sure!  Waiting patiently for the stores to open.  I do think that you could powder coat the rack.  I don't think a heater would get to hot for powder coating.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #268 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:03 AM »
One thing I like about this site is the ideas everyone has. Smitty sled, Led lights, buddy cooker mod and so on. I really like these mods I have one question anyone ever test the temp at the grate??? Reason being is I powder coat and was thinking of doing something like the painting rack and I have some black coating that can probably get up to about 650f I think we make the coating for the front grate of the buddy heater and the red on the rest of it.

You got me curious.  I've been "cooking" this socket on high with the Big Buddy for the last 45 minutes and it seems to have stabilized somewhere between 600F and 650F

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #269 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:17 PM »

Use what's leftover for taping on reels. Best stuff for that job.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.