Author Topic: steel leaders  (Read 4113 times)

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
steel leaders
« on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:23 PM »
how do you guys feal about steal leaders? I was concidering useing a very flexable 8" one.
Anthony

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:steel leaders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:16 PM »
Well,
That is a touchy subject. I keep going back and forth. Last year I was using 50# floro and did not have any problems until the end of the season, when the line seemed to get brittle. This year I'm using steel again, but I'm making my own leaders using one of the new thin leader materials. Most people think pike are not line shy, but the more I fish and the more videos I see, I'm beginning to thing that on some days they are.

We will see...

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:26 PM »
try the titainium leaders  flexible but have great strenghth

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2003, 07:12 AM »
if you're going to use a leader for northerns, i would recomment using an 18-24".it really makes a huge difference when you get an especially large one to the hole. that extra foot or so gives you the protection of cutting you line when lifting the struggling fish.merry christmas everyone :D :'( :'( :'(

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2003, 08:43 AM »
I don't lift my fish with the line. I have a lip gripper I use to hold onto the fish. I have a lanyard tied to the gripper so I can leave the fish in the water until I'm ready to take a quick photo before releasing it. I think it's much easier on the fish.

I am using a 3' leader this year since the thin leader material is harder to see then the dacron line.

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2003, 08:58 AM »
esox-i should correct myself-by lifting, i meant heading it up the hole-when you're fishing 2 or more feet of ice, light line will cut/fray and i generally will retie frequently removing the last 5 or more feet.  :P

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2003, 09:20 AM »
Ahhh...Ok. Sounds like you are talking about jigging rods and I'm talking about tip-ups. My bad ;D

I take beginners fishing with me a lot and I find the hardest thing for people to do when they have a pike on is to NOT try and force the head up the hole. I'd say more fish are lost at the hole then in any other part of the battle. People don't understand how much leverage the fish can get by using the ice to push off from.

Peace, love and a ton of bait. ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2003, 01:19 PM »
Bob,  What are you using for leader material now, if you don't mind me asking?  My Seagaur 40# leader did turn brittle last year, and I'm a bit on the leary side this year.  I take "rookies" out with me, and fish with 7 strand wire just in case they get antsy!  Otherwise, Flourocarben works wonders especially late in the year.  Thanks Jim :'(
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2003, 01:52 PM »
I'm using the knotable American Fishing Wire. I'm still not sure if I'm going to like it. I might do half in wire and half in 40# mono. I'm still not sure of the floro in the cold.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2003, 02:08 PM »
Sounds like a great idea using knotable wire. I use it in the salt for toothy critters.  May have to try it!
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.