Author Topic: Fishing for Northerns  (Read 3149 times)

sd_countryguy

Fishing for Northerns
« on: Jan 03, 2003, 06:06 PM »
I was just won dering how other people fished for northerns. What bait, what equiptment(line, hooks, leaders).  I am from South Dakota I use mostly all Smelt when going after northerns.  I  use a few minnows.  On my  tipups I use black braided nylon line. I also have one that has camoflagu line on it.  I then use a weight ad a 9 inch steel braided leader.  Then top that off with a number 6 hook.  It seems to work pretty good.  I have used monifiliment but I usually had them break my line.  Although I have caught some 2 or three pounders on my jig pole when fishing for perch. Talk about fun fighting one of those on 4 pound line.

Well good luck everyone. Hope you have fun ice fishing

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
Re: Fishing for Northerns
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2003, 08:12 AM »
i like to use a homemade slammer tip up... for the reason that as soon as they start to run with the bait the rod snaps up and sets the hook for me so i knoe if a fish is on... really fun to fight on small rods

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Fishing for Northerns
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:29 PM »
i like to use a homemade slammer tip up... for the reason that as soon as they start to run with the bait the rod snaps up and sets the hook for me so i knoe if a fish is on... really fun to fight on small rods

do you have any plans for the homemade slammer you would be willing to pass on? would be interested  very much so

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.