Author Topic: Rigging dead smelt on tip-up  (Read 9753 times)

Offline schaaed1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Rigging dead smelt on tip-up
« on: Jan 13, 2003, 06:41 AM »
How do you guys rig dead smelt on tip-ups?? Caught several 7-8 inchers a week ago and threw them in the freezer for bait (can't stand eating them).

Thanks for the info,
schaaed1

RSQCAL

Re: Rigging dead smelt on tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2003, 07:46 AM »
:) Years ago we used to fish on Lake Michigan for spring Northerns with smelt. We used to run a small piece of wire through the smelts mouth and down the length to keep some shape. We then hooked the like a regular minnow. Had to test were on the back a little to balance them. I haven't fished with smelt for some time, I'm sure ideas have changed by now.  :'(  :'(

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2003, 11:18 AM »
just hook them through the mouth and let them sit the pike will hit a dead bait

RSQCAL

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2003, 01:56 PM »
That's the way we used to fish em on the big lake. In the spring they get real aggresive, don't need much enticing. We used to fish in 3 or 4 feet of water. This was just as the ice was letting loose. Used to even take 2x6 boards with so we could get back on shore. Like I said I hvaen't fished on the bay late spring since I was a kid, but I know they still do. This is the only time's I've ever fished with smelt.  :'( :'(

clysdale

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2003, 02:17 PM »
this is clysdale from saskatchewan canada and I found a secret weapon on biggggg northern pike, Take 3 treble hooks large ones and string them together with a leader then follow with a leader going to your line, hers the best part go to your local super market and get some 5 to 6.5 inch mackeral fish(frozen) and put 1 treble hook through the lips , then the belly and then the tail , make sure its laying right. then leave it on a tip up 1 inch of the bottom. be sure to cut the fish in the belly before dropping it they love that stink.(remember to use some type of weight or it floats I use bell waits 6 inches up. let me Know who ever after trying this.

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2003, 02:44 PM »
last spring i was fishing a local lake and had a few quite large smelt frozen and i hooked a fronzen one on trebil hook and casted it out let it sink to bottom and just wanted to see what i'd catch.... i caught a nice pike out of the lake and i dident know any bigs ones were in there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.