Author Topic: lures for pike  (Read 6207 times)

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
lures for pike
« on: Jan 06, 2003, 04:42 PM »
hey I was just wonderin what everyones favorite lures are for jiggin northern.......I am thinkin about tryin out some rattlin raps and rattlin traps I have a funny feelin that they would work great, I think the noise would piss the hell out of them well let me know what u think....
~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
Re: lures for pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2003, 05:28 PM »
i usually have good success jigging with swidish pimple or med sized cleos through the ice have taken a number of bigger pike for me

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2003, 01:38 PM »
The rattling raps are balanced nicely for jigging.  Used one for catching coho last winter.  It worked OK but coho hit just about everything so it wasn't much of a test.  Try them for pike and let us know how they work.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2003, 02:29 PM »
Swedish pimple tipped with a minnow for flavor and size.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2003, 04:26 PM »
1 oz. Cabela's real Image jigging spoon chartrouse in colar with a smattering herring or bait scent Smelly Jelly.  Hook, line and "keerrrrplunk", fish-on!
TEAM ALASKA

RSQCAL

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2003, 04:41 PM »
Swedish pimple works well. Tip with a minnow and if things get really slow try squirting some scent on it. Iv'e used several different kinds. What seems most important is just the added scent in the water to get there attention moreso then the brand. Atleast thats my experience. Good Luck !!   :'(

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2003, 08:52 AM »
i will let everyone know how the rattle trap works
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2003, 06:57 PM »
Tube jigs!!!  I have been using 3-4in tube jigs in a variety of different colors for the past couple of years.  The most productive colors for me have been pearl and shad, chartruse and perch also work well.  I rig them on a 1/4oz weedless tube bait head and attach them to a 8in invisaleader tied to 10lb test Fireline.  A couple of squirts of bait mate and I'm fishin'. I use a 24in medium action spinning rod and good reel with a good drag.  I have found that the tubes work better in clearer water where the fish can see better though.  In cloudy/murky water I still use a big swedish pimple tipped w/a minnow head or strip of perch flesh(or some other panfish.)  The tubes just don't shine like a Pimple! ;D

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Ugly Jack

Re:lures for pike
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 01:54 PM »
Rapala rattlin'raps work great for pike.  Especially a number 7 in a orange crawdad colour.  I use these in summer and winter both with great results.  No bait is needed, just jig and pause... Good luck

Mr.G

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2003, 01:36 PM »
I use a Kastmaster tipped with a minnow.  Jig it occasionally and have it set with a slip bobber and a bobber stop. Usually have a tip-up set around 50" or so from my shack basically exclusively for northerns with just a plain hook and a minnow too.

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2003, 02:05 PM »
i tried various rattlin lures last winter and i've pretty much given up on them--never got even a sniff and this was sight fishing-most everything else seems to work that has flash and flutter but heh, maybe it'll work where you fish--let us know :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.