Author Topic: Esocid lymphosarcoma  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Esocid lymphosarcoma
« on: Nov 28, 2002, 04:05 AM »
Folks,
Some fish have been found in upper Lake Champlain (NY/VT) with this condition. If you see this in your area, please contact your local DNR rep. This condition seems to appear more in the winter, so we ice fisherpeople need to keep an eye out. This is yet another reason we need to discourage the "bucket biologists" from illegally transporting fish to other waters.

Here is a link to the news release from this spring and some photos I have posted. http://www.fishingvermont.net/Articles/Lymp-sarco.htm

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re: Esocid lymphosarcoma
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2002, 06:05 AM »
Esox   Used to catch pickerel from the merrimack that had tumors that look exactly like that - I thought it was from the pollution.  I understand that someone has been introducing pike into Quabbin Does it affect other fish?
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2002, 07:19 AM »
I believe this one is just effects the Esox family (pike, pick's, muskie). So this might not be a problem there, but people putting fish where the don't belong is always a problem. That is how good fisheries are ruined.

I'm keeping a log book this year with every game fish I pull through the ice. This will include location, a digital pic, lenght, weight, girth, overall health of the fish, weather conditions (barometer, wind direction, etc) date and time. I'm working with someone from DNR and will be passing all of my esox fish familily information on to him in the spring, and them again in the fall.

So Flash....How's the job going? Did you start yet?

Later

Esox

Grizz

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2002, 05:34 AM »
:'(  Way too gross!!! Tough to eat anything that ugly!

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2002, 11:36 AM »
OK - i'll keep an eye out for that :'(
Many are cold, but few are frozen

RSQCAL

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2003, 09:47 AM »
:-/ Read an artical were Muskie in Wisconsin have been found with esocid herpesvirus. Apperantly this is the virus they believe causes esocid lymphosarcoma Which is the tumor. They say it affects Muskie moreso then pike but all esox can be affected. The artical also said that Northern Ireland has a major problem with this, up to 12.5 % of the fish are affected, second was europe, then Canada, then Northern USA. Anybody elses info would be helpful and interesting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.