Author Topic: Best Tipup For Pike  (Read 6754 times)

Lighting_Rod

Best Tipup For Pike
« on: Jan 31, 2003, 09:11 AM »
Just wondering what everyone out there thinks are the best kind of tipups for pike.

RSQCAL

Re: Best Tipup For Pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2003, 12:00 PM »
I've been using Beaver Dams for alot of years. Haven't had any problems. Probably won't change until I do!!  ;D  :'(  :'(

stuka

« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2003, 06:02 AM »
Rasqal,...never heard of 'Beaver Dam' tip-ups, where can I find them?...Stuka

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2003, 03:41 PM »
what state you live in ? they make beaver dam tip ups in wisconsin. you can get em on the internet and they sometimes have them on ebay.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2003, 05:43 AM »
They are the same design as a HT Polar.  These are great tip ups for pike due to being able to set the flag in the notch making it more difficult for big bait to set them off.  Deep snow is the only prob due to the low profile of the unit.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Lucius

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2003, 06:12 AM »
Have used Polar tipups for years. In my opinion, for conditions like we face here in Manitoba ( extreme temperatures, deep snow) they are the best unit available. I have some that are almost 20 years old and still work like new. The only manitenance I have done is to re-grease them (I think once) using the blue goop from HT Enterprises. The only other modificationwhen the snow is deep is I add a 1 foot extension to the flag wire. The extension is a hollow plastic tube that slides over the existing flag wire. The tube also has it's own flag attached. Makes it much easier to spot. Bought the extensions locally but I think they are also available from HT Enterprises. :'(

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2003, 09:18 AM »
frabill thermals is my choice

Fidel_Casserole

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2003, 05:45 AM »
I use the Arctic Fisherman and also have 1 Finickys Fish Factory.

The arctic Fisherman is great because the shaft is filled with some sort of oil, preventing it from freezing in the coldest weather.  

For a picture go here...http://www.thornebros.com/winter/tipups/arctic_fisherman.html

The Fish Factory totally encloses the hole, plus it has a heater so your hole stays open on even the coldest day.  Plus it has a mechinal jigging system that allows you to either jig your bait full time or 50/50 (on for 30 seconds off for 30 seconds).

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2003, 05:44 AM »
Heritage Laker......I will buy no other. Big spools, tall, adjustable spool drag for big bait, ZERO wind flags, and built to last.

JMHO

bluefingers

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2003, 06:50 PM »
I'll 2nd that one Esox.Heritage tip-ups work for me.Instead of messin with the drag I put a clothes pin over the gap where the flag goes.Works great for the big bait.That way the gator doesnt feel the drag.I do tighten the drag just enough to prevent backlash.I hate the way the small ones scream the line off.Nothin like a nice slow steady turn,now thats a big pike.Almost better than a cold beer and a cheap date. Happy Fishin

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2003, 03:10 PM »
I use HI FLAGS, had mine for twenty years.I use polars also,but I always catch the most fish on my HI FLAGS!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline IceRacer_63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the pike are not hitting..break out the bikes!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2003, 01:41 PM »
The Hi Flags are one of my best also 40-Up are like them and are very good also.I bought my first hi flag in 1977 and they still look and work like new!

alloutdoors681

Re:Best Tipup For Pike
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2003, 10:17 PM »
Beaver Dam, Beaver Dam, oh and Beaver Dam. :)

shortrod

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2003, 01:47 PM »
I want to vote BeaverDam myself ,something about them.I always figure when I am Deicing the hole It gives the shiner a little action.

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:47 PM »
for me its got to be the windlass from ht the do the jigging for you .it must be nice to use live bait

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.