Author Topic: Depth marker on line  (Read 4561 times)

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Depth marker on line
« on: Mar 03, 2003, 06:12 AM »
I know alot of us use a button to mark how deep we have the line down when fishing tip ups.  I recently picked up some slip foam bobbers (cone shape).  There is a slit in the bobber and when the fishing line is pressed into it, it acts as a slip bobber.  If you insert the small pin, it is now a stationary bobber.  Now the question:  I used these for the first time this weekend (as depth markers) and am concerned that when the pike runs with the bait, the bobber will go under and he will feel the resistance and drop it.  Is this likely or no way.  I asked the first pike we iced this Sat...........but he was tight lipped!! ;D ;D ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
Re: Depth marker on line
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2003, 04:43 AM »
Walt,
I have always used the small 1/2" round red & white bobbers for marking depth.  
To answer your question, no I highly doubt they feel any resistance of any size bobber.  We fish for pike in the spring with live bait and much larger bobbers.  It dosen't seem to bother them at all.
Rich Ferguson

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2003, 07:27 AM »
Ditto on what Water Wolf said. I use the red and whites too with no problems.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2003, 03:54 PM »
isnt this post on general chat also? well i use a button works well small sinker will work too or tieing a slip not in the line works good tooo
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2003, 03:59 PM »
Fishking, Yes, I wasn't getting any responses here and felt it would get abit better exposure in general chat.  Thanks for your comments! :)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2003, 05:42 AM »
I to use the tiny red and white bobber.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2003, 04:59 PM »
I use the Vexilar to set the depth of my tipups

perchmon

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2003, 06:14 PM »
button

Justin16

Re:Depth marker on line
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2003, 04:19 PM »
The small red and white bobber has never hindered my tip-up succes... I don't think a pike would be worried when he has your bait in his mouth about a small bobber.  He probably can't even feel it.  Now if you were using tip-ups for bluegills that may be a different story.........

Justin

GatorSlayer

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2003, 06:25 PM »
I've used the micro bobber method in the past years, but this year I am going to experiment with slip bobber stops. I put them on loose enough to slide but left a good sized tag end so I could easily tighten them if they loosen up too much. I will have the bobbers along just incase its too much trouble to slide the stops.

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2003, 02:40 PM »
i use a little electrical clip.....otherwise known as a really small roach clip    u can get them from radio shack 10 for a 1.00   they are the best ive found yet   just clip em on

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:27 PM »
I use a button or rubber bands.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

acsacmboy

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2003, 09:04 PM »
bobbers

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2003, 07:59 AM »
Nothing....simply put down the Aqua-Vu check for the weedline, mark off on the Vu the desired depth, let out the same amount of line on tip-up, all set. I can't tell you how many times, (before Aqua-Vu) we were setting tip-ups too deep into the weeds. A sounder works but you don't know whats down there. Aqua-Vu is a small investment, but the most important when it comes to hardwater fishing. I don't want to hear about flashers and all other depth finding gadgets. A Camera can not be beat. So pony up, go in on one with your group, you won't be disappointed.

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2003, 03:19 PM »
I use buttons but sometimes they break off.  If I am in the middle of the day fishing, I will use a slipshot weight (tiniest one.  I move the bait up and down alot depending on the fishing.

I am heading to NH soon and lead weights are a NO-NO.  I might try the rubber band.  How to you tie the rubber band on?
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.