Author Topic: size limits  (Read 4990 times)

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
size limits
« on: Jan 05, 2003, 04:48 PM »
i fish big blue lake frequently and i dislike the way they treat the pike!!!! i saw one guy keep 5 little dinks no bigger than 15 inches and people wonder why there are no big ones.... i think they need to cut the 5 limit down to 2 so at least a few big ones will be in there

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
Re: size limits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2003, 01:05 PM »
:-[  I would have to agree.  We need to police ourselves,  I sometimes keep a few of the smaller ones.  but I am not out everyday.  I feel that it is the big ones that need to be returned.  they are the breeding stok for the future. :'( well good luck

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2003, 04:12 PM »
twodoggs...
I AGREEE THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH KEEPING A FEW DECENT SIZED PIKES BUT EVERY TIME IM OUT I SEE THE SAME PEOPLE WITH A LIMIT OF 15" PIKE AND THE LAKE IS NO LONGER FUN TO FISH FOR PIKE CAUSE THERER ALL DINKS!!!!

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2003, 05:15 PM »
I agree, I like lake Mitchel's two pike, and 24" min. rule. While we are bi*ching, I was on Houghton over the weekend, lots of fisherman, and the amount of non keepers, espeacialy small perch and gills that were caught and left on the ice were unbeliveable. I did say something to one guy who had a small pile, he said we need to weed out the small ones. I said the pike do a pretty job of that, we need little ones to grow up and be big ones.

rmbillettjr

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2003, 01:26 PM »
I fish the Conn. River between NH and VT and we have a 1 fish, 28" limit.  When I was out on Sunday I caught 4 pike, 19, 26, 27 and 30 and had a lot of fun doing it.  Pike are a trophy fish and should be treated as such.  By the way all fish were photoed and released.

Briande

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2003, 09:56 AM »
I agree i could puke when i see some of the "sportsman like"conduct on the waters in this state i dont know how many of you travel but i believe that alot of people in the area have lost the respect for the game as well as others. this is obvious when you travel to the western states
so dont cut at the ramp and dont crowd me on the ice unless your gonna be friendly cuz rude people suck.........

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2003, 11:47 AM »
so we all agreee that we need to chage limit sizes somethhing needs to be done

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2003, 03:17 PM »
I could not possibly agree with ya'all more.  Why are gators considered junk and muskies considered a fish to be worshipped?  One grows a few more pounds bigger.  Big deal.  They both fight just as hard and deserve the same respect.  I've been writing letters to the WDNR for years.  It's rediculous that there are no slot limits imposed in this state, and every state.  EVERY species should be placed under a slot.  Bass, pike, perch, gills, everything.  No fish should be open to fishing during it's spawning season even lowely panfish.  The same people that complain that there are no fish are the same ones that keep 15" northern and rape lakes for days in a row when the gill's are on there beds and completely vulnerable.  I hate lazy people.  These people are lazy people.  

kerosene

"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2003, 04:17 AM »
i believe that pike should be 30" and u could only keep on, i think people would be a mazed how much better the pike fishing would be and also how much bigger perch and stuff would grow. That's just  my opinion
~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Russ

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2003, 11:01 AM »
Here in southern Wisconsin Northern Pike must be at least 26" long and the daily limit is 2 fish. There are a couple lakes in the area where the minimum length is 32" and only 1 fish per day is allowed. We have good numbers of under legal size snakes and it is not uncommon to catch one between 26 and 32 inches. It is a good day fishing to catch one larger than 32" but not uncommon to hear of someone catching one over 40" every now and then. I don't know with all the fine bones why anyone would keep one that is less than 30" long.

RSQCAL

« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2003, 02:00 AM »
I believe slot limits like most of the lakes in Ontario have is the answer. This keeps the main breeding sizes in the lake, helps thin the snakes & avoid overpopulation, and really sets the stage for some trophy aged pike. It's working up there and from what I've read this is the best system known out there and excepted by most biologist. Here in Wisconsin they make the mistake of size limits & qty limits by themselves. The problem with these size limits is that it usually leaves the smaller sizes go and harvests the prime breeding size, about 22" to 32". Lakes tend to get over populated with the young ones that need and eat alot, this stunts the growth of the population overall. I like the idea of allowing say 3 total (?) with only 1 over 32" and none between say 24" & 32". This seems to me the best way to harvest some really trophy Pike as well and maintaining a reasonable population!  :'( :'(

perchmon

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2003, 12:32 AM »
Now why would anyone keep a 15' northern you can get more meat off two  6 inch perch.
Here in vt they need to be 20'' and I still think thats too small to keep.
I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting an occasional
pike chowder.But lets use some common sense.
  The guy who had a pile of small fish on the ice trying to "weed out the little ones"
So if he kills all the small ones and keeps all the big ones "well duhhh"
Theres a darwin award for you..

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
Re:size limits
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2003, 08:47 PM »
here in mass. 1 , 28"
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re:size limits
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2003, 12:37 AM »
PErsonally i wouldnt keep any of them. I catch pike for the fight then i release ..PErch taste much better. The only time ive kept em Is if they have hit my lures to hard trolling or what ever and their gills get ripped Or something to that nature. LAst year I was ice fishing (jigging) for Perch and We had this Hole cut maybe 8 inches wide 7 feet long Outside the hut it was a great day. Anyhow These 2 guys come by and ask if they could fish our hole with us. We let them fish along side and wouldnt u know it i hook into this toothy Bugger thats about 10 pounds so i bring it up and this goof gaffs it WHile its almost at the surface. I was Ticked something alful . It was going to be let go. Point is we should All Teach those that are dinks to be More conscious fishermen. Thats my 2 cents
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.