Author Topic: Traveling ice fisher  (Read 1307 times)

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Traveling ice fisher
« on: Dec 11, 2013, 02:58 PM »
I'm from S.Dokota and love my ice fishing. I will be in Orem area around Christmas and will need my fishing fix. If I guy only has a day away from family festivities to fish and doesn't know the sweet spots, where should I fish?

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Traveling ice fisher
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2013, 07:57 PM »
What species of fish do you want to target? Utah Lake is 5 mins from Orem, white bass, bluegill, bass, a few crappie i believe. Strawberry is less than an hours drive, nice sized cutthroats and rainbows. Schofield has tiger trout and cuthroats, rainbows about an hours drive. There are a few other waters close by that may have safe ice, if the cold weather keeps up. Plenty of good fisheries to visit within a hour of Orem.   

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2013, 08:21 PM »
X2 on what liv2hunt said your best bet for the most time on the ice would be Utah lake. Check the reports and conditions page for utah
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:04 PM »
hey my friend my father and I go back to south Dakota to pheasant hunt and the people out there have been so welcoming and open about their bird and fishing hot spots..... so I would love to return the favor.... if we could get our schedules to work out I would love to take you out and try to help you ice some fish.... got some good spots around the lakes and reservoirs here in the orem/provo area.... I live in provo only about 2 min from orem so if you would like we can try to meet up and get you on the ice....

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:32 PM »
I knew I could count on some Utah hospitality for some fishing tips. Thanks for the input. During ice fishing, I usually target perch, crappie, and northern but am game for whatever will bite while I am in UT.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:39 PM »
@Crappielover...thats cool that you get out here for pheasant. People come from all over for SD pheasant hunting. Almost as good, is our walleye fisheries. You can get your birds in the morning and then spend the afternoon catching trophies. PM me about times and I may take you up on the offer and then if your ever out this way I'll return the favor.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:22 PM »
So I will be out in Orem but will be visiting a brother in Kaysville. I may go ice fishing up there as well. What lakes would be best near Kaysville and what species?

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:28 AM »
So I will be out in Orem but will be visiting a brother in Kaysville. I may go ice fishing up there as well. What lakes would be best near Kaysville and what species?

there are a few lakes that are 30-40 mins away when and how long are you going to be here

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Just got to UT and will be here for about a week but not sure what day(s) I'll be able to get away, yet. Are any of the community ponds (Kaysville, Bountiful, Farmington, Layton) safe and/or worth fishing if I can only get away for a couple hrs one day?

Offline Itinerant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Just got to UT and will be here for about a week but not sure what day(s) I'll be able to get away, yet. Are any of the community ponds (Kaysville, Bountiful, Farmington, Layton) safe and/or worth fishing if I can only get away for a couple hrs one day?

There were a couple of guys on the Kaysville Ponds when I passed by there this afternoon, I don't have any idea if it's worth fishing. Something to consider is that Mantua is only about 40 minutes from Kaysville and is a very productive fishery for perch, gills, LMB and rainbow trout.

Offline Crappie_Time89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:07 AM »
Holmes creek res. is just off Hwy 89 in the Layton Kaysville area. Plenty of little rainbows to keep one occupied for a few hours. Also some BGs LMB and slab crappie if you can find em.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks to all you helpful Utah ice fishermen. I'm headed back to S.dakota but appreciated getting tips from everyone. I had a successful day on Utah Lake for white bass and crappie. And then yesterday I got to sneak away for only about a half hour on Kaysville pond and caught a bluegill, a green sunfish, and a small rainbow.

Offline Itinerant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Excellent! Safe travels.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.