Author Topic: Out of curiousity, have you Ohioans started icefishing yet?  (Read 4311 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I see the last post on here was in December, and am curious how the ice down your way has been doing since then.

Offline ICEOHIO22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Out of curiousity, have you Ohioans started icefishing yet?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:08 AM »
I haven't heard of anyone that's been out in north west ohio since the first cold snap. Its so flat around here that wind kept a lot of the ice off, the little ice we do have is sketchy at best unless you had a good wind break.

Chute82

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:20 PM »
I live 100 yards from Ohio and guys were on boats this past weekend on mosquito lake... has skim ice now.

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:19 PM »
I got on a metro park pond for 3 days Dec 19-21. Bunch of dink gills but it was good to get out. Turned out to be a huge tease

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Sorry to hear your opportunities have been limited.

I hope you get some good ice soon.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:01 PM »
Does Ohio have many natural bodies of water? I use to live about 2 miles from Wright Patterson and it was all just a bunch of 5’ deep gigantic squares. Never had a chance to fish any though.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline ICEOHIO22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Not many in northwest Ohio a couple man made lakes St. Marys and Indian lake within a half hour to an hour drive. There are a few highway over pass ponds you can fish with permission.
We also fish upland reservoirs but they always take the longest to make good ice.

Offline BURNSEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:16 PM »
What little ice we had is gone.May not have ice this year!!!!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:19 PM »
What little ice we had is gone.May not have ice this year!!!!

That's too bad.  Is it unusual?

I'm a little surprised because I was down in OH (specifically the Cleveland/Canton area) for the first time this past summer - - and had a great time B/T/W - - and, apart from being a bit flatter, the topography/vegetation looked a lot like that found here in New England.

Given that fact, I would have thought the weather conditions would be roughly comparable to where I am, which has had fishable ice virtually every weekend since 11/17/19.

So is this an unusually warm winter in OH, or is the ice fishing season similarly short most years?

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:58 AM »
I started my serious ice fishing in NE Ohio  years ago...I've since moved to NY but still visit and have fishing buddies.  Good ice has been hard to come by the last 5 years.  The big lake is as good as it gets for walleye and perch (and steelhead, smallmouth, white bass etc etc) all year round. Unfortunately it seems like the harbors are about the only thing freezing much and it takes a good cold snap for safe ice on the Western basin.  We used to get on the various inland lakes like mosquito, ladies and many reservoirs all the time, but they are getting short seasons if at all anymore. The fishing in Ohio is awesome, not much ice anymore. Pretty solid indicator that we are warming.  The first 20 years of my life winters were real and ice was plentiful, the last 20+ not so much

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2020, 08:23 AM »
found an interesting read on that.  stats/views from several scientists modern day and past.

http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.