Author Topic: ice Cleat WARS... Kahtoola vs Stabilizers  (Read 12398 times)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
ice Cleat WARS... Kahtoola vs Stabilizers
« on: Oct 06, 2016, 05:32 AM »
curious to icers who've had experience with both brands of ice cleats... Kahtoolas & Stabilizers

PRO'S
CON'S

WHICH IS BETTER???[/b]
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice Cleat WARS... Kahtoola vs Stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2016, 05:49 AM »
I have a pair of the stabilicers, but they are the ones without the heal grips. If you get a pair, make sure they have the heal grips cuz without them you will kill yourself. they are junk and a waste of money.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:11 AM »
I have a pair of Stabilizers, with a heel straps and have been happy with them. Walking on ice is the easy for them, it is all the rocks I climb over in the open water season with them that puts the hurt on them. I have had to replace screws that have popped out but not a big deal. Between the  Stabilizers and the screws I am still under $30 with the deal I found on ebay...

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2016, 09:25 AM »
52 yrs old, 2 bad knees. I had a job outdoors for the last 20 years, and bought every incarnation of ice cleat. Do yourself a favor and buy the Kahtoolas. The big reason is walking across a snowed on lake, the stabilicers will come off, if they have the retention strap you may not lose it, but as soon as you step on ice with one boot and no cleat you are twirling like a ballerina. The stabilicers are made cheaper as well, and the rubber breaks faster. And trying to reattach a cleat in the middle of the lake is nearly impossible.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2016, 10:19 AM »
I just remembered why I really hated the stabilicers thanks to blackdog. The stabilicers would clog up with snow and ice real easy. After a while I was walking around with blobs of ice intead of cleats. After I almost blew my back out slipping around on the ice several times I took them off. Worse than useless.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2016, 11:41 AM »
I have the Stabilicers ...3 days of run'n gun'n or chasing tip ups ...my back would be pain ...and they can "blow out" the Velcro can get iced up ...I now Kahtoolas ...great on my back and no "blow outs" ...easy on and off too.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Wonderful comments, suggestions & experiences guys... THANKS
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2016, 01:52 PM »
I have used both... hands down, Kahtoola Micro Spikes!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2016, 02:44 PM »
kahtoolas for sure out of the 2 choices.

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2016, 04:18 PM »
Kahtoolas.........wort h every penny!!!!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I've used them all. Katoolas hands down. The only thing even close was the steel creepers that expanded to fit your boot, but they would only last a couple seasons.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2016, 12:02 PM »
My friend retired from the United States Postal service. before he left, he "acquired" 6 or 7 pair of Stabilicers. The mail carriers here in Wisconsin use them in the winter. I have used a lot of cleats in my 65 years, but they are the best, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

HIMO
                                                                                 Iceshanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2016, 07:25 PM »
I wore Stabilicers for years and swore by them... loved them and really thought they were really good cleats. I still think they are good cleats but Kahtoolas are far above and beyond a superior cleat. I have the utmost confidence wearing them. A great product and a solid company that stands behind their product.

Offline MT_Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2016, 12:27 AM »
Kahtoola microspikes.  Hands down.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care" - Peter Gibbons

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2016, 04:36 AM »
I haven't tried the stabilicers and I'm sure they make a great product, but as long as I have a pair of kahtoolas I don't want to try anything else. 

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2016, 06:52 AM »
Kahtoolas are my choice, easy on and off, they work great, I've used them all by far the best.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2016, 07:11 AM »
I've used stabilizers for years and never had a problem, I like the extra rubber layer, helps keep the feet warm. Never had a problem with them coming off, then again i have a big foot so maybe that's part of it...Always wanted to pick of a pair to Kahtoolas to see what the fuss is about....maybe this year...
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2016, 11:05 AM »
There is no one winner in this battle! I own and use both for different purposes. If there is no snow, glare ice, I far prefer the Stablicers Maxx. Must clarify the MAXX, because Stabilicers makes a far inferior model that is useless. But when there is any kind of snow cover I use the Kahtoolas. The Stabilicers are more comfortable for a long day on glare ice. But the Kahtoolas are lighter and have much more grip than the Stabilicers. Plus the ice screws come out of the Stabilicers at some point- it's inevitable. Once the screw hole is compromised you can forget about it. Lucky they are so good I have no problem buying another set. When I want to use really huge boots like my Ski Doo boots, I use the Stabilicers. One thing I really hate about the Kahtoolas is if you happen to accidentally step on your tip up line, it's getting snagged in the chains without question. Drives me insane.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2016, 07:52 PM »
One thing I really hate about the Kahtoolas is if you happen to accidentally step on your tip up line, it's getting snagged in the chains without question. Drives me insane.
Only happened a couple time but you are most definitely correct. A real pissah as my Boston Brothahs would say.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:23 AM »
I have used them both...kahtoolas hands down is the best.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline QDAWG44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2017, 06:36 AM »
Absolutely Kahtoola. 

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Kahtoola's hands down ;)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Was a stabilcers maxx guy, but after 10 years mine just wore out.   Went with microspikes, but now that I have had them a few years,  I am really starting to dislike them.    I broke the chain on them, and they get loaded up with slush and snow and come off on me.   

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Stabilicers....easy off and on and nothing to wear out...

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:17 AM »
Kahtoolas

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2017, 07:31 AM »
Going on 8 years with my micro spikes
And I have got my line caught while jigging lol a few times in the chains but I’ll deal with it , I know of 3 pair that the elastrum has broke and they replaced them for the guys , but they say not to leave them on the boots for long periods of time , easy on and off and I have a normal gate , never had stabilizers so I can’t comment on them  all I can say after fishing well over
40+ years on my own micro spikes 
 are best thing I’ve had on my feet to date , but if your happy wth stabilizers stick with them

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2017, 08:32 AM »
STABILicers MAXX here. I like something I can walk into my wheel house with and not rip up the floor.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09:08 AM »
Kahtoola owner here. I love them. But it seems they may have some competition. Sportsman Direct has Ice Hopper Creepers. They look like Kahtoola's. But instead of costing $69.95 from Kahtoola site. The Ice Hopper Creepers from Sportsman Direct cost $49.99. Anyone see any differance in them, other than price?
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09:39 AM »
had a few pairs of stabil icers and the screws fall out. my next ones will be kahtoola

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2017, 11:28 AM »
I have no doubt that kahtoola are good. That said, some of the reasons that I went with Stabilizer are; I use them almost as much for climbing jetties in the salt and wading rivers. As to the spikes, I got a box of replacements for not much money and when I lose one, I screw it in with some glue.  They stay in really good after that...More than once I have climbed out of a river gorge that I should have been on Belay to attempt (makes for quite the sight in waders and carrying a flyrod). I got them new on fliebay for dirt cheap and after about 5 years of hard use, I am happy with them. I have had them come loose twice and both times it was user error (hurry to get on the ice). So, maybe kahtoola are better than Stabilizer, but the Stabilizers have worked great for me. When the day comes and I lose or destroy my Stabilizer or lend to one of my kids( and never get them back), I will then look at the kahtoolas and see if they will be as good at rock climbing...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.