The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Used Electric Auger Purchase  (Read 1039 times)

Offline big brother

• IceShanty Rookie
Used Electric Auger Purchase
« on: Dec 19, 2021, 11:46 AM »
Opinions and thoughts re a purchase of a used electric auger They will pop up occasionally in my searches but mainly First generation ION and a few years old.Sellers are pricing lower than new but not comparable for older gas of the same vintage. Obviously there is no way to check the battery(s) and new ones are 250-300 to replace. IMO it would be better to buy new but they are NOT exactly cheap.Totally undecided about trying save a few bucks now on a used but if the battery craps out soon it have been much been better to purchase new. Not knowing the history re charging after each trip and storage in the off season has to factor into any possible purchase

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Used Electric Auger Purchase
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2021, 01:46 PM »
Unless it is quite a deal, in the end I think you would be better off buying the newest style auger (either Ion, or Strikemaster), if not you will eventually spend a lot of money for a new battery and be stuck with an older vintage auger.  My guess would be a lot of guys selling older electric auger are trying to get out of them before the battery gives out, that is what I will do in another year, or two, same theory on battery drills.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2021, 06:32 AM »
Unless it is quite a deal, in the end I think you would be better off buying the newest style auger (either Ion, or Strikemaster), if not you will eventually spend a lot of money for a new battery and be stuck with an older vintage auger.  My guess would be a lot of guys selling older electric auger are trying to get out of them before the battery gives out, that is what I will do in another year, or two, same theory on battery drills.

Agreed ..unless its a steal (more than likely a steel bit as well) it may be doable ..but just note/add on the price of the battery .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2021, 09:16 AM »
Its a gamble.  Id put my money into a drill and auger set up.  Cheaper and and lighter weight.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2022, 01:17 PM »
2 seasons ago i bought a greenworks 60 volt cordless chainsaw and I'll never carry a full sized auger again. I use it for tipups, spear holes & the occasional "can you help me get my gear from the bottom" noob.1/2 the weight and bulk, cuts faster& no scooping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.