Author Topic: Lake trout rod  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Fadetoblack188

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake trout rod
« on: Dec 13, 2020, 09:49 PM »
Looking for a lake trout set up without spending too much.  Would be using this for ice fishing in Pennsylvania for lake trout and if I hook into a stripers as well.

I was looking into the northland boom stick as it’s rated for trout but looks like it only comes in 28in.  I be been reading longer is better for the bigger fish through the ice.

What rod and spinning reel could you guys recommend? I have a Sedona 1000fe laying around. Will that work?

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake trout rod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2020, 11:18 PM »
Cheech out the HT Laker Pro. Really nice rod for the price, the blanks are perfect for lakers. I've used the 38" and 45" models: the 38" is perfect for lures 1/4 - 1/2 oz and 3 - 8 lb fish. The 45" is good for 1/2 - 1 oz lures and 5+ lb fish.

Offline Fishermen1137

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2020, 12:15 AM »
Jason mitchell mack rods. Feel medium heavy to me. Solid graphite. Handles lakers in flaming gorge well.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2020, 04:28 PM »
Jason mitchell mack rods. Feel medium heavy to me. Solid graphite. Handles lakers in flaming gorge well.
Not sure that's true. I know it says solid graphite on the description but I've seen one of the Mack rods with the finish stripped off and the bare blank was white.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2020, 05:07 AM »
I cut down two old 7 foot spinning rods, replaced the top guides. One is 3.5 feet the other is 4. I would use  a reel holding at least 150 yards of line if 20 pounders are possible. You want some backbone especially for catch an release.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Check up a med/heavy Ugly stick or a heavy US 48". Great rods that can get the crap beat out of them and work very well, and cheap to buy.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2020, 03:23 PM »
Check up a med/heavy Ugly stick or a heavy US 48". Great rods that can get the crap beat out of them and work very well, and cheap to buy.
Got a link?  I can't find them.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2020, 09:08 PM »
That Dock Runner Ugly Stick  combo rod is only $15 at Wallymart.  Junk the reel though.  It's 3' long and is good enough at medium power. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.