Author Topic: ATV'S FOR ICE FISHING  (Read 8614 times)

Offline masp11

• IceShanty Rookie
ATV'S FOR ICE FISHING
« on: Nov 02, 2005, 03:30 AM »
Wondering what make and model's are used and how good are they .

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV'S FOR ICE FISHING
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2005, 08:00 AM »
My buddy and I have Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4's and they work great.  I think any 4x4 ATV would work fine.  It all depends on what you prefer.

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2005, 11:53 AM »
I did a quick search on iceshanty.com and came up with a lot of results, this link was very helpfull.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=21541.0
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2005, 12:42 PM »
Depending on how much snow is on the ice makes a big difference. A 4wd will definetly be nice if there is alot of snow, but i have had my 2wd out with no problems. Used it to pull a small trailer with 2 portables and the other gear. Personally i have a honda and have no trouble with it. Always reliable and easy to start when it is cold.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2005, 09:53 PM »
My uncle has a grizzly 660 and he likes it. I suggest getting a 4x4 and getting some bigger tires and rims. It makes it drivew much better in the snow with the bigger tires.

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2005, 11:37 PM »
I saw that Polaris makes an option for tracks on some of there models, anybody got them or have heard good or bad?
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline IceFiserman4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2005, 09:11 PM »
I have a Honda Foreman and i have 28 inch mud tires (gators) and it  works perfectly five on the ice for me.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2005, 10:03 PM »
I saw that Polaris makes an option for tracks on some of there models, anybody got them or have heard good or bad?

My uncle test drove a polaris(i think 700) last year with the tracks and he liked it alot. He was even considering putting them on his quad.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:54 AM »

Here is a link to some tracks for ATV's and utility vehicles.  Personally they are too much $$$$ for me, but they are cool!
http://www.litefootatv.com/

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Keep in mind the tracks cut your top speed by 2/3 :o :o

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:41 PM »
bought a yamaha bruin 350 4by4  last year. is a great basic atv which is still light enough if you get stuck in a drift you can lift it out by yourself. is plenty powerful enough to pull al 250lbs of me , my gear ,and my permanent shack out on the ice all together. very easy to do maintenence on it yourself and wont cost you a arm and a leg. just my 2 cents.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2005, 07:10 AM »
I have an 03 Polaris Sportsman 400 which has been very reliable and goes through the snow good. I bought my son an 05 Yamaha Bruin 350 4X4 and it is an awesome machine, very reasonably priced and well worth the $$.

Robb :tipup:

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2005, 04:11 PM »
The new Arctic Cat ATV's have an ice fishing tent accessory and an ice auger holder accessory for the rack....  :bow: Not to mention hunting blind attachments, gun holders ect. ect.

...im buying the 2006 400 LE in 3 weeks and I cant wait.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2005, 04:22 PM »
I have a Honda Foreman and i have 28 inch mud tires (gators) and it  works perfectly five on the ice for me.

my tires are only 26's but i also have the foreman. no complaints here it is an ice fishing machine!!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2005, 10:23 PM »

this would be nice

fishinjas1

« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2005, 11:57 AM »
Heres a few pics of my "Green machine"! Its a 2002 Max IV.  This is the ultimate all around TRUE atv. These things are like little tanks. I use all year around as they float. Ice fishing...they never get stuck, they dont need floatation devices and if you do break through you just drive right back out. I fish out of the rest of the year in areas I normally couldnt get to. Hunting....it will get you where you couldnt get before and carry the load back. It goes about 35mph on land and 5 mph in water ( without aux. outboard) . They run $12 G's + with the goodies I have on but can pick up used for much less. Mine has options of:
enclosure,26" tires, solid axils, heated throttle cable, winch,skid plates,hitch ,camo color and more...
  Next might be tracks and a plow....another $2800.   This thing can literally climb over a car...I know...Ive done it  >:D.
I know!!! I sound like a sales person for the company but I'm not..just completely satisfied with what this machine can do. Yes, pricy...but will never get a different atv!

fishinjas1

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2005, 12:17 PM »
In Michigan, they dont qualify as an ATV and are disallowed from ORV trails. They are too wide to qualify.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

fishinjas1

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:53 PM »
Yea....they cant be used on Wisconsin trails either. Shows you where some peoples heads are who figure these things out!  Lets see....ATV =  ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.  How much more of an all terrain vehicle can you get??? Seems like the trails should be called some to most terrain vehicle trails. I have mine registered as a boat and have a farm implement vehicle sign on ot so I can pretty much drive it anywhere. Anyways, there arent many atv trails on the Lake so I dont worry about it.
fishinjas1

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2005, 01:50 PM »
I had a Polaris Sportsman 400 2 stroke, but I swamped it in a mud hole over the summer and totalled it  :'( :'(
About a week later I bought a newer quad... a '96 Polaris Magnum 425 4 stroke using the money I was going to use to buy a snowmobile  :-[ the new quad doesn't seem as powerfull as the 2 stroke.....but I guess I'll see. The sportsman did everything I needed it to on the ice, but I think I'm going to get tire chiains this year
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2005, 02:42 AM »
I have a 2004 Honda Rancher 4x4 with electronic shift. It has been fantastic for fishing with. I use that to fish with and then ride the Ski-doo later when I want to ride and not fish. Any brand utility type four wheeler is fine for fishing, but it helps to have 4 wheel drive and something with good power. Snow will slow them down, mine gets sluggish in anything over 8 inches. Chains or studs are good, but I don't use them.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:12 AM »
...  He worked for well over an hour!!!  Everytime we thought about hiking over to help him he would get it moving a few feet. ...

If you get a quad, get a winch. First time you need it you'll have considered it a bargain at any price.  I have a 4x4 and have used my winch to pull me out of snow or mud a bunch of times.  I wish my sleds had winches!

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2005, 08:06 PM »
Not to answer for him but I would imagine you can punch a hole in the ice with the auger and T it off under the ice   if needed (presuming the ice is thick enough).

I have my heart set on an Arctic Cat 500. They have thr greatest ground clearance of all of the ATVs. Polaris is a close 2nd with 11".  Both are nice machines and on my "to buy" list.

Brian

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2005, 05:34 AM »
Not to answer for him but I would imagine you can punch a hole in the ice with the auger and T it off under the ice   if needed (presuming the ice is thick enough).

Yup, just like anchoring a shack.   I've never been stuck on the ice, but thats the plan if I ever need to...

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2005, 12:48 AM »
That is a sweet quad! I just put a Swisher 50" plow on my '04 Ranhcer 4x4. I figure it will come in handy for the little snow we get in NC, but also for clearing spots for my tip ups.
2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2005, 02:58 PM »
2005 Arctic Cat 400 auto. Works great!!!
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2005, 04:58 PM »
Not sure I would chance bending my auger.
. . .
Or.............just get wet and cold by sticking your arm down the hole.

Mac, I assumed what Brian F meant was drill a hole, then T it off with small log and some rope - like I do to anchor my shack on occasion. You certainly don't want to winch of the auger! No need to get your arm wet for the log, just leave it there!  ::)

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2005, 01:56 AM »
Hey Mac. I ice fish on lake Winnipesaukee every year in NH for the Meredith fishing derby. I am from Mass originally and used to ice fish all the time, but being here in NC makes it hard to ice fish, so I have to drive home every winter to get my fix. I did see a pond completely frozen over one time, but I think a sheet of paper would have probably been thicker.
2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2005, 07:24 AM »
Hey Mac. I ice fish on lake Winnipesaukee every year in NH for the Meredith fishing derby. I am from Mass originally and used to ice fish all the time, but being here in NC makes it hard to ice fish, so I have to drive home every winter to get my fix. I did see a pond completely frozen over one time, but I think a sheet of paper would have probably been thicker.

Yea, I can see how ice fishing in NC could be a challenge....

I also try to do the Meredith derby evey year (along with 6,000+ others  :o)  It certainly was a beautiful weekend last year.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2005, 05:38 AM »
Yes it was a nice weekend last derby. I want it to be a little colder with an overcast this year. I caught some decent fish, including my first laker. Lakers and rainbows are going to be my main target this year. The grand prize for largest tagged rainbow is 2 Polaris 500 atvs and trailer.
2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline masp11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2005, 10:50 AM »
Thank' s every one I bought '06 400 TB so far its been great ( used for hunting  now) .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.