The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Hampton Pond Tigers  (Read 12703 times)

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hampton Pond Tigers
« on: Mar 28, 2005, 01:37 PM »
Anybody catch or know of any one that has caught a tiger out of Hampton Ponds. I have an old school friend on the division of fish and wildlife and he was wondering if I knew of any fish caught. I told him I would post it here and see what if any has been caught. I think the state is thinking of discontinuing the tiger program in Hampton Ponds.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
Re: Hampton Pond Tigers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2005, 06:46 AM »
I've heard the same thing. I know they are caught, very few, each year. I don't know why they aren't taking to Hampton Ponds, maybe too may pickeral? Perhaps finding an alternative site would be best. I wonder how they would do in the Oxbow?

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2005, 05:04 PM »
im pretty sure the pickerel is the main reason the tigers dont do so well, iv caught acouple pics with small tiger in their throats, but there r big ones in there, just very hard to catch
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2005, 05:22 AM »
The lakes under consideration if Hampton Ponds was to be dropped from the stocking list where Otis Reservoir, Lower Spectacle, and Shaw Pond. According to my friend the state has no record of any legal tigers being caught in Hampton Ponds.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2005, 08:44 PM »
iv fished hampton ponds A LOT for tigers and never seen one. i saw a picture of one taken thro the ice acouple years ago at colliers sporting goods when it was still open. but 2 summers ago they stocked it with 8 - 12 inch tigers so hopefully the size difference between those and the smaller once previously stocked will help with the growth rate instead of the being eaten by pickerel rate. well see in acouple years i guess

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2005, 07:49 PM »
I'm really surprised they havnt canseled this program at Hampden, They have been doing it for a long time with little results, I think they should focus their efforts on other lakes/ponds, and hopefully get a population of tigers going.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2005, 06:01 AM »
I've spoke to the gentleman in charge of the fish stocking program and he mentioned the stocking of Hampton Ponds will cease if they continue to not get any return on the tiger stocking.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2005, 08:16 AM »
yea, iv thought about this awhile and i figure this winter im gona ice as many pickeral as i can to try and help with bringing the number of them down and the number of tigers up, i kno my actions wont have the big of an effect on the lake but it might do something, cus there are lots of picks in there

Offline TheBigPickerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:28 PM »
i agree that they should use the muskies they stock in hampton ponds at a different location to get a good population of catchable muskies going.     

Offline keoka

• IceShanty Rookie
  • it,s a walking on water thing
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:11 AM »
I got my first tiger this spring.not on hampton. man what a great fighting fish.
                                  love to get one through the ice  :tipup:

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:36 AM »
yea iv been trying to get one for acouple years now, where did u get urs?

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:44 AM »
One of my friends Dad caught one like 8-10ish years ago out of hampden but he said it was not legal size.  I have gone and tried but all I get are tons of pickeral, one day my friend and I had 40+ flags and all of them were small 10-16" pickeral.  I have caught many large pike out of hamilton and the oxbow but never a tiger...

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2005, 01:04 PM »
anyone ever trie the other pond across the street for tigers,maybe the moajority of the stocked fish go there or some reason.

Offline ceejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:07 PM »
I've caught small tiger's at H ponds nothing big. A couple years ago I had a big fish on and it snaped my 25lb mono leader it could hane been a big tiger but I will never know. I'm going to try using big bait ths year to eliminate the pickies which are a pain in the butt. I'm surprised they don't do well there, plenty of food deep water and alot of weeds.

Chuck

Offline Ice Bird1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:46 PM »
musky-man if your taking about the pond across 202 from hampton ponds then yes ive fished that for the last two winters and horseshoe pond is full of pickeral and thats about it. 

Offline Big Desi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2020, 01:31 AM »
i used to live on Pequot rd, Shea’s cove actually, and I caught 2 tiger musky out of Pequot pond. One was 24 in and 1 was 18 in. I’ve seen a either giant pike or a musky in there 3 different times and all three sightings were well over 30 in. One looked around 40 inches.  Could have possibly been the same fish, 2 of the sightings were about a week and a half apart within 300 yds of the one seen a week and a half previous. I used to patrol the pond in my kayak everyday and have got some secret spots. I moved there for the simple reason of finding a keeper musky but never achieved it. There is a giant in there, that is if nobody caught it. I moved from that location in 2008, twelve years ago. And to this date no one has pulled a keeper Musky out of the pond. But that doesn’t mean somebody could have caught one and didn’t record it.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2020, 08:37 PM »
Did 99pct of the guys who posted on this come out of a 10 yr retirement and ice shanty is alive again with old blood?

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2020, 05:45 PM »
 there are signs of life!! Havnt been on the site in a few months but glad to see an interesting topic on top. The tigers they put in in 2015 should be pretty big by now!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2020, 06:13 PM »
Just a question...is this the Hampden/Hampton Pond north of Westfield? Many, many years ago, I used to set up a few tip ups and watch for flags with my cousin. His mom and dad had a house right on the pond of Schuman, (or Schumacher), drive. Is this the same place? Brought back many memories for this old guy!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2020, 05:15 AM »
Yes, that's the spot.  My question is:  has anybody ever actually caught a tiger from here?

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2020, 12:09 PM »
PikeKing,
Thanks for the reply. By the way, I see you’re in Enfield, Ct. I grew up in West Suffield. Coincidence?
PM me. Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2020, 12:42 PM »
Way too many pickeral in there for anything to make it.  Infested with 10 - 16" pickeral the entire place is like a haven for pickeral....  Good action for little ones or new people to ice fishing.  Will go through a dozen medium shiners in about an hour out there.  ;D

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2020, 01:49 PM »
same experience as everybody, too many pickeral, wont go back, last tiger i have heard of was at red bridge, in ludlow

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2020, 02:18 PM »
same experience as everybody, too many pickeral, wont go back, last tiger i have heard of was at red bridge, in ludlow

When was that?  I haven't heard anyone talk about red bridge in ages.  Have you tried to fish it through the ice at all?
westernmas on the finder

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2020, 11:28 AM »
I live 5 minutes away from Red Bridge and I fish the hell out of it all summer.  The last time I heard someone get one was like 25 yrs ago.  And yeah I heard about a few and saw one...  Tigers have been long gone they dont reproduce.  Not sure why the Pike never took off.  Theres HUGE LM and SM bass in there.  My personal best of each has been taken at Red Bridge on boat.  The whole place looks awesome to fish but its extremely difficult.  The fish are only in a few spots and I never caught anything good through the ice, yellow perch and suckers that chew the heads off the shiners....  There are a ton of suckers and white perch.  They should hit this place again with pike and tigers to make it more attractive.  The pike are in the CT river which this drains into so I dont know why there would be an issue.  They could clean out and chow down the damn suckers....  You will litteraly see like 100 suckers schooling at a time durring spawn time.  Some are quite big and many people fish here to catch suckers in the winter so they can bring out west for pike and tigers...   

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2020, 01:31 PM »
your spot on about red bridge, the last tiger i heard of was 15 years ago, i fish it 20 times a year and never caught one, as far as other fish its good if you know it ;)2 ( im the guy with the enclosed boat trailer that parks on the street)

Offline Jwise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2020, 03:00 PM »
your spot on about red bridge, the last tiger i heard of was 15 years ago, i fish it 20 times a year and never caught one, as far as other fish its good if you know it ;)2 ( im the guy with the enclosed boat trailer that parks on the street)
Are you the guy that falls asleep on his boat and gets rescued by the Fire Dept?  ;D

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2020, 03:03 PM »
I live 5 minutes away from Red Bridge and I fish the hell out of it all summer.  The last time I heard someone get one was like 25 yrs ago.  And yeah I heard about a few and saw one...  Tigers have been long gone they dont reproduce.  Not sure why the Pike never took off.  Theres HUGE LM and SM bass in there.  My personal best of each has been taken at Red Bridge on boat.  The whole place looks awesome to fish but its extremely difficult.  The fish are only in a few spots and I never caught anything good through the ice, yellow perch and suckers that chew the heads off the shiners....  There are a ton of suckers and white perch.  They should hit this place again with pike and tigers to make it more attractive.  The pike are in the CT river which this drains into so I dont know why there would be an issue.  They could clean out and chow down the damn suckers....  You will litteraly see like 100 suckers schooling at a time durring spawn time.  Some are quite big and many people fish here to catch suckers in the winter so they can bring out west for pike and tigers...

Good to know.  I'll have to give it a try sometime
westernmas on the finder

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2020, 03:33 PM »
Are you the guy that falls asleep on his boat and gets rescued by the Fire Dept?  ;D
as you know that has happened twice

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2020, 07:51 AM »
Rangerboats391 - Yes you I think go there even more than I do to be honest!  I am the guy who now has been going on a pontoon boat setup for total fishing last two years ;D  Before that I had a small center console I would be out in that would actually allow me to get to the small side under the walkway but not anymore.  And yes, if you know where to go its awesome fishing which does tend to keep it from getting slammed although this year... if you were not on the water by 7am you were not getting in and you would def want to be out of there much after 10am as it became jet ski city with all the stimulis-skis LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.