Author Topic: ****WARNING WINCHESTER LAKE**********  (Read 1482 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
****WARNING WINCHESTER LAKE**********
« on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:47 PM »
  Just got a phone call from a guy who reads our boards.  He reported to me that this afternoon he and his buddy went through the ice at Winchester Lake when about 50 yards from shore at the SPORTSMAN'S ACCESS!!!!! 
  I will be at Winchester tomorrow and spending the night in a yurt so if anyone plans on going over there to fish this weekend, GIVE ME A CALL.  Usually the ice conditions on the state park side of the lake is much, much better than the sportsman's side.  My phone number is 701-388-7474.

Jim

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
Re: ****WARNING WINCHESTER LAKE**********
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Hey Jim,

Kinda scary considering they're having a derby too  :unsure:

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:34 PM »
  Hopefully the news didn't scare the state park folks....  My gut instinct is that the ice will be fine on that side of the lake.

Jim

Offline solesoaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:34 PM »
I think I might join you on the ice this weekend Jim, what time you leaving Friday? I guess I could just call in sick with the cold chills or something....Keith will understand
what did the fish say when he ran into a brick wall?

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:17 PM »
  If you have to stick around work for awhile, just head down when you can.  Give me a call on your way down and I can pick you up at the sportsman's access so you don't have to pay to get in the S.P.

Jim

Offline violaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Hi aim THE BUDDY that you referred to ,and it`s true the ICE IS NOT SAFE WE WERE ONLY 50 yards out when we went Thur....not only that we fell in again about 20-30 feet from shore on the way back.I would strongly re comend  THAT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING THIS TOURNMENT THIS WEEKEND RECONSIDER RESCHEDULEING .WE stopped at the GATEWAY and told them about the conditions on that side ,but don`t know about the ICE on the irk or park side however.

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:10 PM »
The ice is plenty safe on the park side of the lake.  5" on the main lake with 12+" in the fingers, the sportsmans access side has been crap for a while now.  If you are going to the derby stay away from the dam side of the lake unless you plan on going for a swim.  Thanks to the tribune, there probably wont be that great of a turnout >:(.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Hi aim THE BUDDY that you referred to ,and it`s true the ICE IS NOT SAFE WE WERE ONLY 50 yards out when we went Thur....not only that we fell in again about 20-30 feet from shore on the way back.I would strongly re comend  THAT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING THIS TOURNMENT THIS WEEKEND RECONSIDER RESCHEDULEING .WE stopped at the GATEWAY and told them about the conditions on that side ,but don`t know about the ICE on the irk or park side however.

Just got home from the DERBY.  On the State Park side, I couldn't find any ice UNDER 9"...and I went 1/2 the way to the aerators.  Much of the stuff near shore was in the 12+ inch range.

Jim

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:01 PM »

I haven't attempted to enter that side of the lake since THIS posting...  Pretty sure we had more warm days than cold days since the Jan 21 posting...and I know of at least FOUR SPRINGS over there.

Jim

WARNING****WINCHESTER LAKE****WARNING
« on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:04 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DO NOT GET ON THE ICE ON WINCHESTER FROM THE SPORTSMEN'S ACCESS!

Ice was good today coming out from the state park.  The Sportsmen's access can fool you...  Crap ice near shore, then some real solid stuff right after that.  After finding the good ice, I went and got all my gear, INCLUDING my spud.  Well that good ice was actually a narrow band.  Right after that, it was about 2.5 inches of crap ice; spud went right through on one stroke, went through really easy, too!

Across the arm from the boat launch, the ice was good and about 5-6". 

Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.