Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Walleye

approach for tight lipped walleye

(1/2) > >>

Salmonquest:
I am fishing a 14' hump in the middle of a 24' flat. It is the only vegetation around. The flat is marl bottom. I have caught pike and smallmouth over the flat. I've had several walleye on the camera at 14' among the weeds, but can't trigger a bite. Each trip I've marked and/or seen several. They come in and sniff but don't commit. I've tried still and keeping the jig pattern.  I've tried deadstick with blues and with suckers, spoon with minnow head in several colors and sizes, Jigging raps, chubby daughter, acme hyper rattle, basically the kitchen sink. My usual times have been two hours before dark till 20 min after dark. No luck.

I've had tip ups of various depths with large sucker minnows.

Is it more likely they are feeding deeper in the flats? I've marked bait and seen it on camera.

Any thoughts appreciated.

appleye:
Sounds like your playing the game correct! Their not coming shallow to "hang out" It probably a time of day thing, mostly likely a night bite. I have had times in late winter where the walleye quit hitting minnows and want something with bugs. When the ice started melting a bit they went back to minnows.  Only way to test the deeper water is to start drilling holes. Maybe the base of the hump? Walleyes always changing the rules!

Salmonquest:
great point about the bugs. I haven't tried that. Appreciate the input.

esox_xtm:
Like perch fishing, banging the bottom and stirring up some stuff can get them more interested. It's often attractive (at least) where I fish. As far as going deeper, see if you can find the transition where the bottom goes from hard to soft. Many times that seems to be a focal point for fish in the basin that come shallow to feed.

Doeslayer:
Try dead sticking just a minnow on a treble, small split shot and a barrel swivel.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version