Author Topic: JM elite spinning reel drag  (Read 339 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
JM elite spinning reel drag
« on: Jan 17, 2022, 02:16 PM »
I got a JM dead meat combo with the Jason Mitchell elite series spinning reel. As I do with all my new reels I take it down a little bit and wipe excess grease away, and re-lube and grease. When trying to reassemble the drag pieces on this reel I am noticing that it’s extremely challenging to get the pentagon shaped spring to fit down in the correct area to hold the washers. This result in a very catchy drag. Anyone experience this or have any solutions on getting this spring back in the way it supposed to be? Thank you

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: JM elite spinning reel drag
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2022, 02:35 PM »
small fingers and a pick.  Put the middle point end into the groove.  Then finger pinch that into position.  Use the pick to push in one side of the other end into groove and repeat for other side. 

Some of these clip springs you have to start from one end, go around in sequence as you compress the other end so they will all fill into the groove.  This works well too, but if it springs back, that spring clip usually goes flying, so make sure to do it inside a clear bag.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:27 PM »
I believe I have the spring secured correctly now. Trouble is I’m not exactly sure in what order the washers go back in. I understand that the idea is metal washer and then fiber washer, followed by alternating. Trouble is I’ve always thought you started on the bottom with the fiber washer and then metal. This reel has three metal washers and two fiber washers, so I started with metal then fiber than metal and fiber than metal. Seems OK, but I’d like to know before I have to test the drag. I have ask Clam for a drag diagram, but if anyone knows where I can find one that would be appreciated. My google search was not successful.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:13 PM »
go on FB and find Jason Mitchell Television and ask him. He's very prompt at replying.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.