Author Topic: Hole cover discussion  (Read 3350 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hole cover discussion
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:05 PM »
Hard to explain to 'normal' people
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2022, 09:05 PM »
Here's a good source for hole covers. These yoga mats measure 2'x6'x5/8". The cost is $24. One mat has enough material to make a dozen factory size hole covers. If you don't need a dozen covers, the extra material is excellent for making kneeling mats for setting tip-ups or foot mats to keep your feet off the ice in floor-less shacks. When making your own covers, punch the center hole as small as you can. When cutting the slot from the center to the edge, use a straight edge and a brand new utility knife blade. Tilt the knife at an angle (30-45 degrees) when cutting this slot, that way the slots closes and keeps the hole better insulated.

https://www.target.com/p/premium-fitness-mat-15mm-black-all-in-motion-8482/-/A-77459854?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000014807088&CPNG=PLA_Sports%2BShopping_Brand%7CSports_Ecomm_Hardlines&adgroup=SC_Sports&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9017701&targetid=pla-82735320169&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=CjwKCAiA24SPBhB0EiwAjBgkhh7Id5C-vuSjz54QMOwlTqD9zJ2RlPW9X1eLW-IVKaraROFg_EFgvhoCJyMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That angle cut is a great suggestion.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2022, 10:38 PM »
Sorry but you are wrong. If that were true how would it ever freeze

Not sure what  your getting at

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:09 AM »
I just made a set last night using an anti fatigue mats. Flip over a 5 gallon bucket and cut around it with a long skinny exacto blade drill a hole in center and cut a slit for rail tip ups. Will be testing today as it will be a high of 16. Makes a 12” cover

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:52 AM »
Even if they don't keep the hole from freezing they sure should keep blowing snow from filling the hole and turning to slush. If there is no snow blowing then maybe try the covers on a couple holes and not on the others and see if they do anything. It is 3 degrees here right now so I doubt anything other then regular checking and scooping will keep the freezing out.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2022, 09:21 AM »
Covers don't always stop holes from freezing, but they ALWAYS delay freeze-up.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2022, 09:33 AM »
As the surface cools & hits 39 it sinks to the bottom or the thermocline , that pushes the warmer water to the top & it happens over & over until it’s all 39 degrees. Now the water at the top cannot sink , goes below 39 & freezes. Directly under the ice the water will be 39 on any freshwater lake . It’s simple physics

AIA   wrote--------------Not sure what  your getting at.

OOOOps---fixed

Sorry but you are wrong. If that were true how would it ever freeze
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2022, 07:36 AM »
I just made a set last night using an anti fatigue mats. Flip over a 5 gallon bucket and cut around it with a long skinny exacto blade drill a hole in center and cut a slit for rail tip ups. Will be testing today as it will be a high of 16. Makes a 12” cover

These worked great yesterday with temps below 14

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2022, 08:00 AM »
These worked great yesterday with temps below 14

Were you able to do a comparison between covered and uncovered holes?
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:15 AM »
I used hole covers for the first time on saturday.  They did keep the holes from freezing up as fast.  I only had to clean them out a few times during the day and there wasn't any serious chipping involved, it was always just a thin layer.  Unfortunately, it didn't have any effect at all on my catch rate.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:47 AM »
I used hole covers for the first time on saturday.  They did keep the holes from freezing up as fast.  I only had to clean them out a few times during the day and there wasn't any serious chipping involved, it was always just a thin layer.  Unfortunately, it didn't have any effect at all on my catch rate.

Different lake same results ..with the frigid temperatures yesterday at sun up ..believe -3 I fished a small competition my black Gander Moutain hole covers did their job ..but as I stated before it is important to seal as best you can . some holes performed better than others.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2022, 12:11 PM »
Were you able to do a comparison between covered and uncovered holes?

Yes my buddy was chipping his tipups out of the new ice that formed all day long.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.