Author Topic: Flame King 1lb refillabe  (Read 10386 times)

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Flame King 1lb refillabe
« Reply #60 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:25 AM »
I've use FK tanks for 3 yrs and I use the flame king refill kit they sell with the stand and fill nozzle.

not to promote unsafe refiling...BUT

I fill mine per the instructions and close the set screw when propane starts to vent. Then what I do is let keep the tank connected and let it fill up more- you can hear the propane fill up and when it stops, I can get close to 2 lbs of propane in the tank. This allows me to do a full day trip with one tank and have a little left over. I bring a second tank as a back up in case one tank malfunctions but I have never needed to use it.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #61 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:36 AM »
I had a friend that did that, overfilling. (on a regular 1 lb'er) Until one blew the seal, spewed LP which ignited in his garage, burned him, and completely burned down his $250,000 house. Years in court with the insurance co (State Farm which wouldn't cover him, because he was performing an unsafe act and went against the warning on LP tank DO NOT REFILL. Not an easy claim like their "she shed" commercial. Just asking for disaster, since the 1 lb'ers are not meant to be refilled anyway. Ya, I kow a lot of guys do it. A lot of people run lines of cocaine too, until they give themselves a heart attack. Just ain't worth it.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #62 on: Dec 02, 2021, 12:17 PM »
I've use FK tanks for 3 yrs and I use the flame king refill kit they sell with the stand and fill nozzle.

not to promote unsafe refiling...BUT

I fill mine per the instructions and close the set screw when propane starts to vent. Then what I do is let keep the tank connected and let it fill up more- you can hear the propane fill up and when it stops, I can get close to 2 lbs of propane in the tank. This allows me to do a full day trip with one tank and have a little left over. I bring a second tank as a back up in case one tank malfunctions but I have never needed to use it.

It’s one thing to refill a tank to the capacity of which it is meant to hold….It’s an entire different thing to push a tank to double it’s recommended capacity. I mean I’m surprised they safety valves don’t release and bleed of the extra pressure. Way beyond any risk I’d be willing to take…..I’d rather just take another 1# tank

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #63 on: Dec 02, 2021, 12:52 PM »
Yeah i try to get as much as safely possible but wouldnt try to overfill.i had a 20lb tank that the gas station overfilled and it was fine cold then on the ride home with the heater  on the safety valve released and shot propane all over in my truck.i stopped and threw the tank in the ditch and waited for it to stop spewing propane.worst ive done on the flame king refiller is cut that stupid plastic tab off because its a pain to line up with tanks.then i tried filling the little green bombs and it works.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 02, 2021, 01:39 PM »
Yeah i try to get as much as safely possible but wouldnt try to overfill.i had a 20lb tank that the gas station overfilled and it was fine cold then on the ride home with the heater  on the safety valve released and shot propane all over in my truck.i stopped and threw the tank in the ditch and waited for it to stop spewing propane.worst ive done on the flame king refiller is cut that stupid plastic tab off because its a pain to line up with tanks.then i tried filling the little green bombs and it works.

Hey Doc,
I wanna make sure I understand.... I know its not in the manual to cut off that plastic tab, but are you saying its good or bad?  You said the Worst thing you did was cut off the tab, but yet it sounds like a positive... I have some Flame King cannisters arriving and wanna make sure I understand this... thanks...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #65 on: Dec 02, 2021, 01:48 PM »
Be glad ya weren't smoking or just lighting that cig Doc...*KERBLOOEY* You'da never known what hit ya, then guys like me before I retired would be on scene picking up the pieces of ya. It's a gross sight. Been there, done that.  :sick:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #66 on: Dec 02, 2021, 01:51 PM »
It was good as i dont have to try and line it up with the canister.it was a pain.think it was just safety to only  be able to fill  flame king brand cans but i removed it and can fill any propane cans now.try it out first the way it is you have to line that plastic tab in the groove in the bottle or it wont seal and leak when filling.its much easier with that plastic piece removed.jmo

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #67 on: Dec 02, 2021, 01:54 PM »
Be glad ya weren't smoking or just lighting that cig Doc...*KERBLOOEY* You'da never known what hit ya, then guys like me before I retired would be on scene picking up the pieces of ya. It's a gross sight. Been there, done that.  :sick:
right,one habit i never got in to was smoking cigarettes.think i smoked a half of one when I was a kid and puked my guts out.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 02, 2021, 04:49 PM »
I’m the guy that still fills the green bombs but never over 16 oz. That 2# guy was a card carrying stupid person.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 02, 2021, 05:58 PM »
I’m the guy that still fills the green bombs but never over 16 oz. That 2# guy was a card carrying stupid person.

Couldn't agree more. I'd consider putting 2# of propane in a 1# tank about like trying to take your peter and set a mouse trap off without getting it snapped. Maybe you get away with it, but why would you even try it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #70 on: Dec 02, 2021, 06:21 PM »
             🤪

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Dec 03, 2021, 06:24 AM »
Looks like UPS will be delivering my Flame King order today ? It was a little bit of a kerfuffle with shipping ..label was created but item never moved ??... My Runnings account had the item delivered ???..I contacted Runnings and CS got things moving as it was in the "back" waiting. It looks like the items are being shipped via individual stores? Hope others have their items in transit.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #72 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:37 PM »
Looks like UPS will be delivering my Flame King order today ? It was a little bit of a kerfuffle with shipping ..label was created but item never moved ??... My Runnings account had the item delivered ???..I contacted Runnings and CS got things moving as it was in the "back" waiting. It looks like the items are being shipped via individual stores? Hope others have their items in transit.

Just a tip. When I bought the 1# flame kings each one would come with an Allen wrench to open/close the valve to refill.

Simply take a hair tie band or rubber band and work it around the refill adaptor pipe/arm. Then you can slip the Allen wrench under it, storing it so you never have to go get or find the Allen wrench when you go to refill the tanks.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #73 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:49 PM »
What?! No links posted with special allen wrench keeper lanyards and stainless steel clips you can buy?!    ;D

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Patience. Once labels are printed items are considered "shipped". Got mine today. Ordered the 1st

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:13 PM »
Ordered the 30th and set to deliver today.  I checked the tracking history for scans and it seems to have been moving along quicly
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #76 on: Dec 03, 2021, 02:44 PM »
What?! No links posted with special allen wrench keeper lanyards and stainless steel clips you can buy?!    ;D

Well…I guess I could sell the castration bands I have left and a band tool for $40 so people could install the Allen wrench snap band to hold the Allen wrench.

On another note I was contacted by a company that would answer my phone calls for me at a low price of $4.99 a month………when I asked her how it was better then my current voice mail that is free….the only response was that it didn’t fill up like voice mail.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Dec 03, 2021, 08:14 PM »
Sign, sign everywhere a sign.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #78 on: Dec 03, 2021, 08:20 PM »
Sign, sign everywhere a sign.

Five Man Electical Band.   1970.   ;D

Offline Steeeeeeeeevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 04, 2021, 07:47 AM »
My order was cancelled, customer service said it would have shipped from 6 stores to fill the order and their limit is 3.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #80 on: Dec 04, 2021, 08:32 AM »
My order was cancelled, customer service said it would have shipped from 6 stores to fill the order and their limit is 3.

You have a Runnings near by ? Could call..or pop in . I received mine yesterday but only ordered 4mall shipped from one store.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Steeeeeeeeevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Dec 04, 2021, 08:40 AM »
You have a Runnings near by ? Could call..or pop in . I received mine yesterday but only ordered 4mall shipped from one store.
The closest one is about an hour from me, i think
Im going to reorder without all the lures. I just couldn't resist the prices they had on some of the jigs, northland and VMC lures!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 04, 2021, 09:36 AM »
Just order 3? Put in an order for 3 more tomorrow?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Dec 04, 2021, 09:36 AM »
 I bet it was the lures that tipped over the apple cart. Use this link their site is wonky ..I cant find anything ..looks like tons available still in various stores ..hurry

https://www.runnings.com/flameking-refillable-cylinder-1-86380003.html

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 17, 2022, 01:15 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing that Runnings link because it's impossible to find via their search field.  How did anyone find it in the first place?

At any rate, I discovered I needed a couple more tanks and with that link this morning was able to search across their inventory and found a store with a couple.  And as a bonus will amazingly be here tomorrow already.

I'll gladly pay the shipping vs playing the snipe hunt/who's got it game.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:25 PM »
On another note....I'm glad I refill my 1#tanks. I was at the bait shop the other day and only had two 1# tanks that I had full left. So I figured I'd pick up a green bomb to get me through the day. Well it was rings up $6.99. I said Oh that must be the two pack I only want one......Guy informs me....that is the price for one and everywhere else in town is $10 for one.....I put it back.......checked at the next store.....$10.....my goodness I can get 20#s for $15.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:58 PM »
Runnings must be starting to run low. Ordered three, shipping from 2 locations

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:00 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing that Runnings link because it's impossible to find via their search field.  How did anyone find it in the first place?

At any rate, I discovered I needed a couple more tanks and with that link this morning was able to search across their inventory and found a store with a couple.  And as a bonus will amazingly be here tomorrow already.

I'll gladly pay the shipping vs playing the snipe hunt/who's got it game.

Flameking all one word pulls it up right away for me. Flame King separated into two words did not... kinda crummy search that a space makes such a big difference

I wish I had bought a few more of these before the prices went nuts and the availability cratered! Thankfully I don't do many trips with more than a single 1 lber used, much less 2 whole ones

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:36 PM »
Yeah I try to keep my eye out every time I walk into Menards, seems to be the only place that stocks them around here. They have been out of stock for a few of months. Walked in today and they had 10 on the shelf. I only needed one so grabbed it. $16.99, can't believe they've gone up 3 bucks in about as many months.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:51 PM »
Yeah my local hardware store had a few of these when I was in there the other day.
I almost bought one till I looked at the price.
I mean I already have five of the refill tanks so I didn't really need another. But.......
Instead of using the cheap little allen wrench they give you with these I went ahead and bought a nice allen wrench with a handle on it.
So much easier to use and I'll never misplace it like I would the a little allen wrench they come with.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.