Author Topic: Flame King 1lb refillabe  (Read 10378 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flame King 1lb refillabe
« Reply #90 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:14 AM »
I discovered that I need about 5lbs to comfortably heat my new Eskimo 650 for 6-7hrs.   So yeah I should probably just be using the 20lber however I do find it better knowing that I will always have 6 of the full 1lbers and not have to guess how much is in the 20 or have to take out a second 20 as a spare if I run out. 

On a side note.  I did finally after 3 years have a tank start acting wonky.  Seems to spurt and leak a bit when filling.   Flame King said it was probably a seal issue and is going to send me replacement parts.   I'm interested to see how they instruct me to change out the seal.  He made it sound pretty easy (pull out old one and push new one in).

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #91 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:52 AM »
I discovered that I need about 5lbs to comfortably heat my new Eskimo 650 for 6-7hrs.   So yeah I should probably just be using the 20lber however I do find it better knowing that I will always have 6 of the full 1lbers and not have to guess how much is in the 20 or have to take out a second 20 as a spare if I run out. 

On a side note.  I did finally after 3 years have a tank start acting wonky.  Seems to spurt and leak a bit when filling.   Flame King said it was probably a seal issue and is going to send me replacement parts.   I'm interested to see how they instruct me to change out the seal.  He made it sound pretty easy (pull out old one and push new one in).

Moisture could have found its way around the seal ..with the bitter temps everyone is experiencing it is more than probable ..plus like most seals they can fail eventually . Thanks for all your input on the FK tanks ..I purchased 4 and will fill them soon ..after I run out of my previous refilled non FK tanks and some new tanks
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:04 AM »
Absolutely no reason to be afraid of filling the "non refillable" bottles. Check your seals and valves, fill outside. Thousands of folks fill these without issue, just use common sense.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:10 AM »
Dang almost a pound an hour!? You making it a sauna or what  :P.  That'd only take what, about 3 fishing trips to break even on the flame king costs vs coleman green bombs, lol

I use maybe a pound in 6 hours in my Eskimo 949i, which is 50% smaller than the 650.  My outside temps are usually 15-25, I know it can get a lot colder in the metro MN area. I also usually heat only to the point where it's comfortable enough to not wear gloves. Many times it gets too hot for me even on the low setting of my buddy heater. Frequently I just have the pilot light going after heating up to temp

If I was using 5-6 lbs a trip I would probably just use the 20lber and be done with it. Easy to figure how much is in there with a bathroom scale before ya head out

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:52 AM »
Obviously each trip is different.  I was out this past weekend with temps at about 8 degrees most all fishing I do is after dark (no sun) I couldn't keep the Big Buddy at med as it was not comfortable so I needed to run it on high. Big Buddy on high burns at about 2.5 hours with 2 tanks in,  so yeah not quite a pound an hour.  There are definitely tradeoffs between 20 and 1lb tanks.   

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #95 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:52 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Laststandard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:30 AM »
Dang almost a pound an hour!? You making it a sauna or what  :P.  That'd only take what, about 3 fishing trips to break even on the flame king costs vs coleman green bombs, lol

I use maybe a pound in 6 hours in my Eskimo 949i, which is 50% smaller than the 650.  My outside temps are usually 15-25, I know it can get a lot colder in the metro MN area. I also usually heat only to the point where it's comfortable enough to not wear gloves. Many times it gets too hot for me even on the low setting of my buddy heater. Frequently I just have the pilot light going after heating up to temp

If I was using 5-6 lbs a trip I would probably just use the 20lber and be done with it. Easy to figure how much is in there with a bathroom scale before ya head out

I picked up a 650XD this year after having both a 949i and a 3i. 

At 10* with 3 guys in the 650, it stays pretty comfortable with a big buddy flipping between low and medium setting.  With just me, I end up leaving it on medium to keep it tolerable.  Although I do usually fish with the jacket off inside the shack.  I kept my 3i for solo outings, lot easier to heat.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Jan 18, 2022, 03:30 PM »
I picked up a 650XD this year after having both a 949i and a 3i. 

At 10* with 3 guys in the 650, it stays pretty comfortable with a big buddy flipping between low and medium setting.  With just me, I end up leaving it on medium to keep it tolerable.  Although I do usually fish with the jacket off inside the shack.  I kept my 3i for solo outings, lot easier to heat.

huh, 650 with 3 guys too and I even had a fan pushing heat down.  On med we could see our breath and frosty inside. Had it banked well too.  Not sure....   I think the sun makes a big difference

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #98 on: Jan 18, 2022, 03:57 PM »
huh, 650 with 3 guys too and I even had a fan pushing heat down.  On med we could see our breath and frosty inside. Had it banked well too.  Not sure....   I think the sun makes a big difference

Sun makes a JHUGE difference.

Last trip it was -15 degrees out, my little buddy was barely able to keep my holes freezing over on low, on high it was great. 5 hours into the day, sun is bright and was only 3 degrees out. I was able to turn off my buddy for about an hour or 2 because the sun heated up my pullover enough for me to be comfortable.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:33 PM »
Sun definitely makes a big difference. I mostly fish during daytime, on sunny days with low wind I don't even need the heater if there are 2 people in the hub.

Offline ChrisL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:11 PM »
Thanks for the link, I was able to order 4 but only 3 have shipped. 

I have been refilling the disposable tanks, but have had them occasionally leaking out of both valves.  Admittedly I don't take great care of them and they have gotten wet.  I look forward to an easier-to-use solution.

Offline nbl346

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 19, 2022, 05:24 PM »
Found this today at Rural King for $12. Will this work for the flame king bottles? Not sure why mr heater would sell this if the bombs arent refillable. Can anyone tell me the differences between this and the flame king refill adapter? I dont have any FK bottles but will get some if this would work. THanks!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #102 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:03 PM »
I have not tried my adapter like that on the flame king tanks but i have cut the plastic tab off the fk tank refiller and can fill the little green bombs now too.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:53 PM »
Found this today at Rural King for $12. Will this work for the flame king bottles? Not sure why mr heater would sell this if the bombs arent refillable. Can anyone tell me the differences between this and the flame king refill adapter? I dont have any FK bottles but will get some if this would work. THanks!

It's not that you can't refill the little green bombs.
But it is illegal to transport them if they've been refilled according to the DOT.
That's not to say that somebody is out looking for people who have refilled bottles in their truck box.
But if you were in to get in a car accident and there was some kind of incident it could make you more liable or some such thing.
The flame King refillable system contains a stand to hold your tank upright. It also has a valve handle for the filling that is much easier to use than trying to reach under an upside down tank and turn it on and off. Plus it extends further out from the tank makimg it easier to put the tanks on and off.
Having used both I'm very happy I bought the flame King refill system and will not go back to the other style.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:42 PM »
It's not that you can't refill the little green bombs.
But it is illegal to transport them if they've been refilled according to the DOT.
That's not to say that somebody is out looking for people who have refilled bottles in their truck box.
But if you were in to get in a car accident and there was some kind of incident it could make you more liable or some such thing.
The flame King refillable system contains a stand to hold your tank upright. It also has a valve handle for the filling that is much easier to use than trying to reach under an upside down tank and turn it on and off. Plus it extends further out from the tank makimg it easier to put the tanks on and off.
Having used both I'm very happy I bought the flame King refill system and will not go back to the other style.

I don’t think there is a reason to get the flame king kit anymore. You can get the exact refill arm off Amazon for $20 & tanks for $14. The stand is ok…..but a modified milk crate works better IMO and doesn’t slip like the legs on the refill stand.

I guess it Probly comes down more to what a person can find though.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:22 AM »
Yeah the stand is terrible you can have mine if you want.  Truck tail gate for the win.  :)

As far as non flame king adapters?  No they will technically not work with the Flame King bottles and vice versa.   They have a plastic tab which makes it sort of proprietary.   I've heard that you can either remove them or eventually they break off.  Then it would work.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #107 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:52 AM »

https://el34world.com/Misc/Autos/PropaneRefill1.htm

Wow that is way to much work.....I just snapped off TBE tab with my finger

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #108 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:55 AM »
Lol right.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:26 AM »
Was able to fill green bombs without mods. Next time will take a closer look to figure out why and post results.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Jan 21, 2022, 11:26 AM »

https://el34world.com/Misc/Autos/PropaneRefill1.htm

I have been looking all over for the FK refill kit for weeks, the cheapest I saw was $49 for the stand, extended fill valve and a 1 pound bomb but no place has them in stock.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:16 PM »
I have been looking all over for the FK refill kit for weeks, the cheapest I saw was $49 for the stand, extended fill valve and a 1 pound bomb but no place has them in stock.

Shoot one of my local hardware stores has them in stock.
The kits and the refill bottles.
You just have to travel to Kenai Alaska to get it. 🤣
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:38 PM »
Shoot one of my local hardware stores has them in stock.
The kits and the refill bottles.
You just have to travel to Kenai Alaska to get it. 🤣

LOL! Yup, doesn't that figure. I have searched about every outlet I can think of and all show them unavailable and out of stock. I won't be a bit surprised if I walk into a local hardware store and find a kit sitting on the shelf.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:46 AM »
Was able to fill green bombs without mods. Next time will take a closer look to figure out why and post results.
  Again I filled little green bombs with FK refiller without any mods. Checked to see if tab was still there and it was. Help me understand why mods are advised.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #114 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:04 AM »

I was doing the same, but ended up just buying a flame king bottle from Menards and this adapter from Amazon:

MENSI Update New Elbow Design QCC... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SW3P167

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:15 AM »
I was doing the same, but ended up just buying a flame king bottle from Menards and this adapter from Amazon:

MENSI Update New Elbow Design QCC... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SW3P167

Thanks Kayl. I like that one and already have 4 of the FK refillable bottles.

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #116 on: Feb 09, 2022, 08:09 AM »
I had a flame king one pounder leak out of main valve after refill.
its a few years old ,not a recall number. never had a problem in numerous fillings
I contacted FK they are sending out a new sleeve and gasket set ,to install my self.
has anyone out there ever done this? any tricks?
also I asked their customer service about lubing the valve ,like an air rifle.
they had no recommendation has any one ever put a chapstik or silicone or vegatable oil on there and
what are  your thoughts
and FK customer service is top notch, good bunch
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #117 on: Feb 09, 2022, 11:08 AM »
Got the refill kit several years ago. Now have 5 bottles. Sadly Ice season here in Nebraska is so short the past 5 or 6 years I only go through maybe two bottles. 😡 Just like the easy process.
Keep it safe! JDL

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #118 on: Feb 09, 2022, 12:26 PM »
 I think I burned more propane this season then in the past 10 yrs combined. Since getting the FK refillable tanks I no longer worry about the use of propane. If I get cold crank up the heat in my Portable Buddy in my uninsulated two-man Frabill . One of the best investments I have made .

Just refilled two earlier today..

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #119 on: Feb 09, 2022, 04:10 PM »
I had a flame king one pounder leak out of main valve after refill.
its a few years old ,not a recall number. never had a problem in numerous fillings
I contacted FK they are sending out a new sleeve and gasket set ,to install my self.
has anyone out there ever done this? any tricks?
also I asked their customer service about lubing the valve ,like an air rifle.
they had no recommendation has any one ever put a chapstik or silicone or vegatable oil on there and
what are  your thoughts
and FK customer service is top notch, good bunch

I have 4 repair kits sitting at home.  I've looked at them several times and not really sure how to tangle with it either.  I'm usually pretty good at this kind of thing, but I'm perplexed as well.   I'm pretty sure the plastic sleeve pulls out and then the O-ring is seated underneath (similar to how the repair kit is assembled). 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.