Author Topic: Thermometer recommendation?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thermometer recommendation?
« on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:23 AM »
So my thermometer here at work does not go low enough anybody have a good recommendation on another one? 😂lol
This one only goes to -50*f and it's -51 already this morning.

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Thermometer recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:31 AM »
Go outside naked, and have someone with a stopwatch time how long it takes you to die. That should get you pretty close  ;)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:35 AM »
Go outside naked, and have someone with a stopwatch time how long it takes you to die. That should get you pretty close  ;)

Pretty close to what?
Im wanting to know the temperature not commit suicide!
Besides that only works once. I need repeatable results. Might you be interested in performing the naked test?
I wont look honest!🤣
KasilofChrisN

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:37 AM »
I've been outside at -50° couple times while very much not naked, and it's still something I'd rather not ever repeat in my lifetime  :roflmao:

On a serious note, a digital monitoring station is probably the way to go for extremes like that.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2022, 10:06 AM »
I've been outside at -50° couple times while very much not naked, and it's still something I'd rather not ever repeat in my lifetime  :roflmao:

On a serious note, a digital monitoring station is probably the way to go for extremes like that.

Yeah we've got a new digital one on order our old one was a cheapy and it quit working properly.
Normally this old thermometer works pretty good but like I said it only goes to -50*.
I've ice fished it's cold as 40 below but I will say I probably would not do that again.
Even in a hard side there's too much chance of something going wrong vehicle not starting etc that could leave you in trouble.
KasilofChrisN

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2022, 10:20 AM »
-35° is about the coldest I ever fished, and it was miserable trying to keep a hole open in a portable, even with the heater going. I miss a lot of things about living in northern MN, but ridiculous winter temps isn't one of them.

Wind is my concern when I'm eyeballing the forecast now. It only gets below 0 a handful of days a year down here, and seeing -20 is once or twice a decade event.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2022, 04:35 PM »
Pretty close to what?
Im wanting to know the temperature not commit suicide!
Besides that only works once. I need repeatable results. Might you be interested in performing the naked test?
I wont look honest!🤣
Once it hits 50 below zero, does it really matter what the temp is?  ???

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2022, 06:44 PM »
Once it hits 50 below zero, does it really matter what the temp is?  ???

The coldest I have seen here is -62° ambient.
I don't recall the wind chill at that time.
I'd like to know if it got colder than that just to say I was here for it!
KasilofChrisN

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2022, 06:58 PM »
Once your eyelashes freeze together without goggles and propane freezes in the lines, it's pretty much all the same  ;D

Got me beat though... -51°F is the lowest I've ever experienced, but I've never been to Alaska.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2022, 07:09 PM »
Get a pair of Baffin boots rated to 50 below. Then stand outside and see how long your feet stay warm.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:15 PM »
Once your eyelashes freeze together without goggles and propane freezes in the lines, it's pretty much all the same  ;D

Got me beat though... -51°F is the lowest I've ever experienced, but I've never been to Alaska.

Who needs propane when you're sitting on an excess of 35 trillion cubic feet of natural gas?
KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:35 PM »
Hey Chris I heard from a friend that it was in fact -60 up there this morning.  Now I can’t verify the validity of that statement but I’ve seen -58 up there in March so it wouldn’t surprise me.  Let me know what you find out, I’ve been in the market for a new digital thermometer that goes below -40 for the ice shack.  I’m real curious how cold it actually gets on my side of the lake system it’s usually 10 degrees different from what it shows at the lodge.  I know several times I’ve seen my thermometer bottom out at -40 only to show up at the lodge the next day and they tell me it only got down to -30. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2022, 04:02 AM »
Who needs propane when you're sitting on an excess of 35 trillion cubic feet of natural gas?

Hank Hill  :roflmao:

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2022, 10:11 AM »
Hey Chris I heard from a friend that it was in fact -60 up there this morning.  Now I can’t verify the validity of that statement but I’ve seen -58 up there in March so it wouldn’t surprise me.  Let me know what you find out, I’ve been in the market for a new digital thermometer that goes below -40 for the ice shack.  I’m real curious how cold it actually gets on my side of the lake system it’s usually 10 degrees different from what it shows at the lodge.  I know several times I’ve seen my thermometer bottom out at -40 only to show up at the lodge the next day and they tell me it only got down to -30.

Yeah I can't say I've heard of it getting that cold anywhere yet this winter up here on the slope.
Not to say it didn't but I haven't seen any verifiable report to that.
My coworker ordered the new thermometer from Granger I believe. We'll see if it's any good.
Grainger is an approved vendor for the company so they're easier to use to order stuff.
The first one we had I brought up from home and it was a $10 cheapy I picked up on sale at Trustworthy hardware.
Some of the facilities have the really nice touch screen units and all that but I don't think those are in our budget and it's not that critical for us.
But it is helpful because at -35 and colder we're not allowed to run our loader. You end up with too many hydraulic leaks and other issues from the cold.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2022, 11:16 AM »
Sorry can’t tell you what thermometer to get! Can tell you that you folks are way stinking tougher than I have ever been! Most I have seen is -30 and I was not ice fishing! Good luck on your search.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2022, 03:05 PM »
Perfect my wife works for Grainger.  Didn’t even think of that now I can get a serious discount, heck yeah.  Really glad I married the tool girl she has saved me thousands over the years in tools and she’s an awesome person to boot so win win. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.