Author Topic: Ice updates  (Read 165218 times)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Re: Ice updates
« Reply #120 on: Dec 13, 2011, 05:24 PM »
The other day when I was out at my local lake someone drove on near where I was fishing (I walked on), and it sounded like a thunderstorm. The ice was cracking insane amounts. All holes I drilled measured from 8-12". I wouldn't be caught dead with my pickup on the ice yet.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline burbotman14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Where we were it was around 9 inches and VERY patchy on the quality of ice... Some spots were clear ice with some air bubbles, other spots looked like ice we get in spring and FULL of bubbles. I won't be driving on until there is atleast 18 inches of ice this year (last year I was driving on 14 inches in my truck) Even just walking the ice cracks a bit. Guy had a quad out there and could hear the ice cracking the whole way!

Was that by the town? I was out by fallis and all the ice was 8-10 inches of pure clear black ice. Some of the spots felt like you were walking on water as there was liitle or no snow. It was awesome seeing the fish fighting below the ice.

I don't live to fish, I fish to live.

Offline pikehunter1989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Was that by the town? I was out by fallis and all the ice was 8-10 inches of pure clear black ice. Some of the spots felt like you were walking on water as there was liitle or no snow. It was awesome seeing the fish fighting below the ice.

Yeah that was in town. Crazy how a lake can have such a diffrence in ice quality.

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #123 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:39 PM »
Ghost Lake Reservoir 8-10" of good ice
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline koho9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Ghost Lake Reservoir 8-10" of good ice

thanks shackless should be heading out soon!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
Boys fish in summer
Real men fish in winter

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Travers Res at little bow camprground end - 8-10" in  near boat launch, didn't venture out to where the current runs but saw others out there... I sure would not be driving on yet as this lake ice has proven to be inconsistent in thickness.  I've seen perch bigger than 2 of the pike i caught yesterday.
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline BlueNorther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Dec 17, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Anyone been fishing the Caroline area lakes, Burntstick, Phyllis? Hows the snow cover and ice thickness?

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:56 PM »
Beaver lake near laclabiche has 14 to 18 inch's of good ice guys driving all over the place. :tipup:

Offline Pike Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Dec 18, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Doesn't look like the southern lakes are going to get thick ice until mid-January.

Offline Capt_of_the_FilthyOar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine
« Reply #129 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:56 PM »
wabamun 11.5"-12" on north side

trout lake 2 1/2 hours north west of edm. had 15"... driving on thickness for me lol
Fish Fear Me

sirsmokesalot

« Reply #130 on: Dec 22, 2011, 05:24 PM »
thinking of buck lake tomorrow morning any one been there yet? fished battle a few times in the last 3 weeks was slow and ice is about 8 to 10 inches it seems thicker the ferther away from shore about 5 to 6 inches by shore in spots lots of springs in that lake oh and if u have a car do not drive in to battle lake parking lot u might find ur self there for awhile like i did yesterday thanks guys again for the help out i got lucky frsh snow and hard snow under is not a good mix for a car =nice polished ice

Offline Tulip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Dec 24, 2011, 01:29 PM »
has anyone been out to Chain Lake south of Longview or up to Spray yet, just wondering how the ice is.

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Dec 25, 2011, 07:22 PM »
has anyone been out to Chain Lake south of Longview or up to Spray yet, just wondering how the ice is.
Spray lakes had about a foot of ice near driftwood a couple weeks ago.. not sure what this warm weather/wind is doing up there.
Somebody posted something about chain lakes  in a thread with  " southern alberta " n the title... don't remember what it said, but that was also awhile back so could've ( and likely would've) changed by now
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline The-yeti

• IceShanty Rookie
Sylvan Lake
« Reply #133 on: Dec 26, 2011, 05:22 PM »

12" of good ice at the end of RR23. Slow fishing today, caught only one whitefish. Lots of traffic looked like a parking lot on the ice.  :icefish:

Offline Haukki Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
How About Gull Lake? Recent...Launch Planned for Tomorrow
« Reply #134 on: Dec 27, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Looking at bringing my shack out onto the ice tomorrow. I drive a 2002 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel, and will have the shack in tow. I go on at Wilson's beach and went north of there last year. Any updates for that "neck o the woods"?

Offline saltwatercowboy68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Dec 27, 2011, 06:21 PM »
I was up at spray lakes on xmas. the ice was a solid 14 1/2 "  didnt have any luck that day but we did see a couple nice lakers on the camera. we were in about 50' of water

Offline no fish today

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:50 AM »
I was out on Sylvan lake yesterday.  I was set up just out from the boat launch in Sunbreaker cove and there was about 8 inches of ice.  The crew beside me drove their truck out,  but I wasn't brave enough. They were also getting whitefish while all I did was sit and hear them cheer while I did  not catch whitefish. 

It should be warm today and I will try again.

Offline newfie1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Dec 28, 2011, 05:13 PM »
Anyone do any fishing at Fawcett Lake this winter? Going up there in the morning. Went out to Jackfish today. Two of us there and two Pike caught. One keeper. Ice was 14-16" out from the boatlaunch.

Offline Capt_of_the_FilthyOar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine
« Reply #138 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:36 PM »
carson 12"
pinehurst 14"
Fish Fear Me

Offline rothelb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:17 PM »
By the camp site at st Mary's res and nothing yet 8" of ice though

Offline GaryF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Went to Birch today, 14", some places had some slush. As for the action, nada to be had by anyone out there, and there were lots of ppl out.
Wanna go? Drop me a line!!

Offline GRANT59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout or Out
« Reply #141 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:05 AM »
Was out at Blood indian creek , 12-13 inches clear  ice down from boat launch, weather great  fishing great what better xmas present
SO sad...Please put this on your E mail if you know, are related to, divorced from, or married someone who suffers from Stupidity. People need to understand that stupidity is real and should be taken seriously. You could be sitting next to a stupid person right now. There is still no known cure for stupidity and sympathy does not help. Sometimes a 2x4 to the back of the head helps, but not a lot. But we can raise awarenes

Offline The Big BaPerchski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Jan 03, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Long Lake (Boyle) 16" at the narrows, lots of vehicle tracks non were mine.

Offline Hastenb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Jan 06, 2012, 04:35 PM »
Anyone have updates on Wabamun Lake for thickness?

Offline burbotman14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:46 PM »
The ice thickness at Wabamun lake was 14-16 inches at Fallis.

Offline captainslug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:22 AM »
A coworker said he was watching Edmonton Global News this morning and they had a viewer's picture of Cold Lake showing open water.  Anyone confirm?
Just remember the worst day of fishing is still better than the best day at work!

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Yep there was white caps on the lake this morning.

Offline FishingStrat

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "PERSEVERANCE"
« Reply #147 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:25 AM »
Heading out on French Bay ( Cold Lake ) this weekend I will update on location, ice thickness and how the fishing was. Lots of drilling and walking, no fish is worth dieing for. :tipup:

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:28 PM »
Calling lake? Anyone have ice conditions?

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline burbotman14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:38 PM »
I heard calling lake had 16-18 inches of ice as of New Years Day. There was also little or no snow on the lake, so bring ice cleats.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.