Author Topic: Going north...  (Read 1430 times)

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
Going north...
« on: Dec 19, 2023, 10:21 AM »
My buddies and I are tossing around the idea of taking a Michigan trip. Looks like Houghton has started to lock up along with some surrounding lakes like Cadillac and Missaukee. Anyone have recent success on any particular lake in that area?

Read a post on the MI thread on lake Houghton from 2018, guy said he went up there and was disappointed with the size of fish.... maybe it was just a down year or is it just tough to find decent pockets of fish?
Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Going north...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2023, 11:56 AM »
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Cadillac/Mitchell is the place the Michigan locals recommend to out of state people, just to keep them out of the good spots ;D. There is a popular baitshop up there that used to have year long tournaments,  I was never overly impressed by anything I saw. I could be way wrong and they may be the best lakes in the state, and I just suck at fishing!
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2023, 07:09 AM »
There's a ton of youtube vids out there of people catching some really nice panfish pike and walleye on cadi/mitchell but they all have live scope, so I'm thinkin unless you have the tools to locate fish quickly they can be tough places to catch good fish.
Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2023, 07:28 AM »
I don't have a lot of experience on Mitchell but know that area freezes earlier then others. I've tried my hand at Houghton and never had great success. I'm not as good at dissecting large bodies of water like that. If you have a sled you can really get out to some of the areas but we did on foot and a lot of walking. Caught lots of fish but a million dink perch and few small walleyes. I have seen big ones come out of there but not on the end of my rod. That being said I had a great time and it's not always about trophies. Nice places to stay right near shore, can have food delivered to your shanty from snowmobile delivery, and liquor store near with good beer selection..lol.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2023, 02:17 PM »
Went up to Cadillac last winter, lots of small perch.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2023, 03:51 PM »
If you're planning a trip very soon be prepared to drive further North than you think...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2024, 12:39 PM »
I have spent more time in Wisconsin on my drives north to find ice.  6-8 hours from NE Indiana usually can get quite a few good options for fishing.  It seems I have found better ice going that route on our down years here in Indiana.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2024, 07:09 PM »
I'm heading to the Cisco Chain Friday Morning.  :icefish:

Offline ice-dogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2024, 03:58 PM »
I'm heading to the Cisco Chain Friday Morning.  :icefish:
Da U.P.?

Offline steak91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2024, 07:24 AM »
Lakes Cadillac and Mitchell are the first to lock up generally and get pounded all winter.  Tough lakes to fish.  I have had good success on Houghton but it is huge and you have to have a vehicle of some sort to move around and find fish.  Not really practical to think you can have success there on foot.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2024, 07:26 PM »
It was between Eagle River Wisconsin and the UP.   There was fishable ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.