The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wausau Area...WE HAVE ICE  (Read 14042 times)

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wausau Area...WE HAVE ICE
« on: Nov 04, 2006, 12:50 AM »
We have ice on the Eau Claire Res. and some areas of Lake Wausau  ;D, but it will disappear when it hits the mid 50's next week  :'(
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wausau Area...WE HAVE ICE
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2006, 01:05 AM »
Granted, the ice that we do have is very thin and very unsafe, but we're heading in the right direction.   ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline icemickey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2006, 06:48 AM »
toronto sd has ice  ;D  hail to the ice  :bow:

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Rib Mountain also has snow! I was in town over the weekend, but i think the ice will be gone after the weather they are talking about. But it was nice to see the i ce :tipup:
CEO

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2006, 12:19 AM »
I think they said they started making snow at Rib Mntn last week
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Well, all the ice that was forming ended up melting last week.  Last Saturday my friend went out duck hunting and said the ice they were breaking thru was an inch thick, on their way back in it was all starting to melt.
We sure are getting the snow dumped on us today.  Hopefully were heading in the rightr direction.  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2006, 02:02 AM »
After Wednesday, our outlook looks pretty good.  Didn't see any highs over 30, and the lows are in the teens.  Excellent ice making weather!!!  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline newoodhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2006, 08:42 PM »
No snow forecasted either should make good ice fast.

Offline joekrz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CONSCIOUSNESS: The annoying time between fishing
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:38 PM »
I think I am going to try and get out on Saturday or Sunday.  I know a few nearby lakes that freeze up real quick.   ;D

Offline newoodhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:57 PM »
Joe be safe and let us know the ice conditions. I,m going to be muzzle loader hunting yet this week. Hope I can get out next  weekend.   Newoodhntr

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2006, 02:03 AM »
Drove past the Schofield dam on my way to work this afternoon, and the water on the Eau Claire was still open, and a bit choppy with the wind. At 11pm after work I drove past it again, and there was a thin layer of ice on the Eau Claire.  Before we know it, we'll be out there drillin and chillin.  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline joekrz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CONSCIOUSNESS: The annoying time between fishing
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2006, 07:30 AM »
I walked out on the ice on a local lake before I went into work this morning.   It was pretty solid.  I think tomorrow will be a go, especially with another cold night in store.

Called a buddy up last night and we are going to give it a try tomorrow morning on a lake north of town. 

Joe

Who will be bringing a life jacket and rope along just in case.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2006, 01:22 AM »
Had to take my daughter to her figure skating lessons this morning. On our way home, around 11:30am, there were 3 guys out on the Eau Claire ice fishing.  Didn't have time to stop and see how much ice there was.  But since it still was open water Thursday afternoon, there couldn't have been much.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2006, 01:31 AM »
Just the saw the weather outlook, we'll have some pretty safe "walking" ice by next weekend.  I'll definitely be out there!!!  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline rlover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2006, 08:52 AM »
I am sure there will be good ice next weekend here in NW WI and if I had a partner for today, I would check it out. Not going out the first time alone.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2006, 09:37 AM »
i am starting to get some good ice over here in the shawano area the weather keeps up i will definitely be fishing over the holiday weekend
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2006, 01:20 AM »
On my way to work Wednesday, I stopped down behind Schofield dam, and talked to some guys that were fishing.  At that time there was 5 inches.  I'll be out there this weekend starting bright and early Saturday morning.  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2006, 01:46 AM »
I'll be fishing the Eau Claire this weekend.  I plan on being out there around 10:30-11am Saturday, and hopefully earlier Sunday.  Was going to put my shack on this weekend, but with the warmer weather coming thru, I think I'll wait and see what everyone else does.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2006, 12:54 AM »
Finally got out on the ice for my first ice fishing of the season!!!!!!!  ;D
Fished the Eau Claire (6 inches of ice) with minimal success.  Going to go out on Lake Wausau Sunday.  After dark, I saw one lone fisherman near Mcleary bridge, so I drove over to the Eagles Club landing, and saw alot of 4-wheeler tracks.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2006, 01:55 AM »
Well, with this warm weather and rain, I seriously doubt there will be safe ice this weekend.  While out on Lake Wausau Sunday, there was one permanent shack, and another was being put on while we were packing up.  I drove down there today before work(I work second shift) to see if they were still there, but the fog was so thick I couldn't see more than 5 feet.  I drive by the Eau Claire daily on my way to work, and there are no permanent shacks...why would they put them out on Lake Wausau with it's current, and not on the Eau Claire which has less current?  To get to their shacks, they need to go over the main channel...are people really that stupid???  I GUESS SO... :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:  And they should have watched the extended forecast and seen the warm up and rain coming in.  That's why my shack isn't out there yet, and with the forecast, it will be a while. 
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2006, 01:35 AM »
I drive past the Eau Claire all week around 2:30pm and everyday there's people out there fishing.  It didn't get all that warm today, so I'll be drilling my holes around 7am Saturday.  I've got to use these shiners that I got last weekend, I hate to waste them since I paid $5 for a dozen.  I could have sworn they were cheaper last year.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2006, 08:17 AM »
I swear they go up .50 - 1.00 each year good thing I love to Ice Fish of I might have taken up another sport.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2006, 12:44 AM »

A nice 21 incher taken Saturday morning.  :tipup:
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2006, 02:22 AM »
Nice pic Musky. 10 day forecast looks cold. ;D Hopefully get some of that ice going again here in SE.
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2006, 01:22 AM »
10 inches of ice on the Eau Claire today. I will be off all week, so hopefully the fishing will be good.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Coming to Wausau this friday I think I may have to bring some tip-ups with. Where should I go and where do I get bait over there.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2006, 06:00 PM »
I hate you guys!  Must be nice!!!  I hate being geographically challenged!!!

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2006, 12:39 AM »
Coming to Wausau this friday I think I may have to bring some tip-ups with. Where should I go and where do I get bait over there.
For pike you can try the Eau Claire, I've only been catching them in the 13"-21" range.  I've seen bigger ones taken on Lake Wausau today, and a real hog that I lost when it broke the line.  Lake Wausau also has some good walleye action.  There are also alot of people jigging for blue's on the Eau Claire.  If you go out on Lake Wausau...BE CAREFUL!!!  It's part of the Wisconsin River, and there are alot of channels to steer clear from.  Go in areas where there are other's fishing because most of them are locals and know where NOT to go.  You can get bait at Gander Mountain, 3rd Ave sport shop and also 51 sport shop.  Good luck and be safe!!!
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for the info. What lake is that one they put the bridge across going to walmart just off Sherman street.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2006, 01:25 AM »
That is Lake Wausau, that bridge used to be called Snake Bridge, but since they rebuilt/redirected it, it's called Mcleary Bridge.  I fish just east of the bridge, targeting mainly pike.  But there are also some nice walleye holes.  I hear that west of the bridge is where alot go for panfish jigging.  But I usually don't get jiggy with it unless I have the lil ones along or I see a school in my Aqua-View.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.