The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First Ice  (Read 11551 times)

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First Ice
« Reply #60 on: Dec 27, 2015, 12:23 PM »
Guys out fishing by me yesterday. Getting everything all tuned up should be out during the week sometime.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 27, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Heading to Devils Lake (ND) on Thursday for 2.5 days of fishing, hoping to be able to get on ice in southern WI on the weekend of 1/9/16 (at least some shallow bays or something)

Offline Troutbum12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 27, 2015, 06:04 PM »
Guys out fishing by me yesterday. Getting everything all tuned up should be out during the week sometime.

Even with the 5-8" of snow coming your way?

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 27, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Walked out on Nokomis from shore  2-3 inches in the bay i was in.  Not enough for me to fish.  Hopefully by friday i will be able to.  If the snow doesnt mess it up.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline KQ700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 27, 2015, 09:26 PM »
I'd like to where the hell they're fishing. I live by Lake Wissota 90% of the lake is still open and the other 10% is UNSAFE. We had 2 people killed today in Chippewa going out on too thin of ice, so us the brain that God gave you and think before going out.
A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work
Member of FLW & B.A.S.S.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:15 AM »
Walked out on Nokomis from shore  2-3 inches in the bay i was in.  Not enough for me to fish.  Hopefully by friday i will be able to.  If the snow doesnt mess it up.

Thanks for the update.  I'm coming up Thursday morning early and staying for 5 or 6 days.  If I could just fish my bay on Nokomis I'll be a happy man.
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Fished the north end of Solberg in Price County Sunday and Monday and had a good 4 to 5 inches.  It was great to finally get out on the hard water!
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline ECWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Fished Butches bay in Menomonie on Sunday.  2 inches of ice

Offline NortsNskis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:13 PM »
My buddy told me there is a few lakes in vilas and oneida that have good ice. 5" is average hes seen and consistent. Im heading up saturday to meet up with him, ill be sure to post when i get back on what i saw. The only specific name he mentioned was lost lake.  :tipup:

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 29, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Found a lake with 4-5 inches of ice. We caught about 30 bluegills and 3 perch. Biggest gill we caught was 9 1/2 inches. Very good bite.
I'm what you would call an ice fishing freak.

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Yes there is safe ice on some lakes up north. There are also open or mostly open lakes in the same vicinity. If you aren't familiar with the lake at early ice or early ice at all please don't go out. With the recent snow dump a few of the iffy spots are going to be sunken it could be another week before they firm up again.

Spud hard go with a buddy and stay safe.

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 30, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Has anyone been out to Big Arbor Vitae? Squirrel lake has 5 inches of ice.
I'm what you would call an ice fishing freak.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:44 AM »
Thanks for the update.  I'm coming up Thursday morning early and staying for 5 or 6 days.  If I could just fish my bay on Nokomis I'll be a happy man.

Drilled around 25 holes in my bay on Nokomis. Average ice was 5-6". My water depth ranged from 8-12 feet. By 5pm lastnight I started seeing other ice fisherman going on the lake.

Bite was slow. I caught one 17" walleye and lost a very large musky at the hole.

Offline NortsNskis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Dec 31, 2015, 07:34 AM »
is anyone familiar with west horsehead just east of rhinelander? its one of my favorite small lakes up north. Im curious if it has any ice yet.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 31, 2015, 07:50 AM »
Drilled around 25 holes in my bay on Nokomis. Average ice was 5-6". My water depth ranged from 8-12 feet. By 5pm lastnight I started seeing other ice fisherman going on the lake.

Bite was slow. I caught one 17" walleye and lost a very large musky at the hole.

How was the slush?  The snow made me worried.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:27 PM »
How was the slush?  The snow made me worried.

No slush. Snow is light and fluffy. Nice ice, but the fishing SUCKED.  4 northern between 5 guys - all day long fishing.  1 walleye yesterday

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 01, 2016, 07:54 AM »
Yesterday on Lower Lake, Merrillan, Wi., a young guy and his girl friend tried to cross the lake on their snowmobile. I was driving around checking different lakes for ice, and when I got to Lower they were breaking ice toward the shore to get the sled out. Both kids got out of the water ok and made it to their cottage just down the road. Didn't stick around to see if they got the sled out or not. I only found about 2-2 1/2 inches on the other side. Don't know what the kid was thinking. From Chicago, imagine that.
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 01, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Cherokee has people out in Madison and 1 person was on Monona bay

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:13 AM »
I was out last night on a 700 acre lake near Hayward 4" of crystal clear hard ice almost zero snow on top, and I was not in a bay. Caught my first walleye of the season 19-1/2". The low was 10°f last night probably close to 5" ice now. Another week like this and I wouldn't be surprised to see trucks driving out. No snow in the forecast to speak of should be making good ice the next 5-6 days.

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Was out on Magnor in clayton on Friday 4-5 inches of good ice. People were out with atvs i would be out yet there were some spots with less around 3 inches. i was on foot and the bite was slow. Went over to clear lake on 2-3 inches and the gill bite was good.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 03, 2016, 02:33 PM »
Monona Bay off Park st. now good and people in the triangle too.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 04, 2016, 09:22 AM »
No slush. Snow is light and fluffy. Nice ice, but the fishing SUCKED.  4 northern between 5 guys - all day long fishing.  1 walleye yesterday

Had 5 inches in the areas I fished in our bay.  Caught 10 northerns and a largemouth, had 10 tip ups out.  Caught tiny perch jigging.

Ice was good but a snowmobile went through close to the bog Saturday night, it was open there last week so that doesn't surprise me.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #82 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:03 AM »
That's the scariest thing about this winter. Lakes up north have been skimming over with ice, then light snow will cover them..you'd think that you're on 6" of ice when in fact you're on 1/2". One guy went through and got killed in Rhinelander last Friday.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Been hearing guys are out on Cemetery bay on Menomin. also out of Butches bay 4-5" no one going to the middle, it was open water a couple days ago I guess some are going out of Elk Point on Tainter, haven't checked ice myself just hear say.  Going to some backwaters on Wednesday I'll report back.  Forecast still looks good for making decent ice.

SPUD EVERYWHERE for the next week or so, that's what I'll be doing.

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 04, 2016, 09:10 PM »
That's the scariest thing about this winter. Lakes up north have been skimming over with ice, then light snow will cover them..you'd think that you're on 6" of ice when in fact you're on 1/2". One guy went through and got killed in Rhinelander last Friday.

Oneida county sheriff deputy pulled into the landing as we were getting off the ice Friday night, told us about the guy who died and the 3 guys who went through on Thursday. He said they were on snowmobiles and hit open water.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 05, 2016, 04:57 AM »
Had 5 inches in the areas I fished in our bay.  Caught 10 northerns and a largemouth, had 10 tip ups out.  Caught tiny perch jigging.

Ice was good but a snowmobile went through close to the bog Saturday night, it was open there last week so that doesn't surprise me.
(Image removed from quote.)

We finished our 5 day long weekend with 16 Pike, 1 walleye, & 1 perch. 
I'm coming back up Thursday night and plan to move around a little more this weekend.

Offline Alex777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:52 PM »
I've been out fishing for a few weeks now. Every lake has varied from 3-7'' around Barron/Polk/Dunn Counties in the last week. Only have heard of a few people doing well on select lakes and it seems to be the lakes I'm not fishing!

Offline Troutbum12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:49 AM »
Going to be in Hayward next weekend. Wondering if Ill be able to drive my trailblazer on the lake. How much snow is on the lakes over there?

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #88 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Not much snow maybe 4 inches to zero on the lakes. Snow was blown off most of the lakes or blown to the east side. Nobody driving on the lakes yet. I was out yesterday morning on Grindstone maybe 5 inches of ice, the smaller lakes might have 8".  With this below zero cold snap we have now it could make another 5 inches by next weekend? I will drive on 12" inches. I had minus -17f at my house early this morning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.