Author Topic: Cordless fish fillet knife  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cordless fish fillet knife
« on: Nov 16, 2022, 12:27 PM »
Only reviews on internet to guide me in a purchase. What say you?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Cordless fish fillet knife
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2022, 12:32 PM »
Bubba…Expensive but the best…
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2022, 12:33 PM »
Thx

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2022, 01:01 PM »
Can't speak on the Bubba...or cordless. But I like my Rapala corded. Around $60.

But. I was without mine a couple of weeks ago so had to go manual. After finishing up I thought...my wife has an electric bread/carving knife she never uses. So I have her blessing to give it a try on my fish. If it works...and if my Rapala wears out...that will become my "new" filet knife. At about $20 a pop, I could buy 3 at the cost of the Rapala. Further review forthcoming.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2022, 01:37 PM »
This is my video.  It's a great knife and I highly recommend it.  It's not cheap though, but you will have it for a long time:

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2022, 01:46 PM »
Can't speak on the Bubba...or cordless. But I like my Rapala corded. Around $60.

But. I was without mine a couple of weeks ago so had to go manual. After finishing up I thought...my wife has an electric bread/carving knife she never uses. So I have her blessing to give it a try on my fish. If it works...and if my Rapala wears out...that will become my "new" filet knife. At about $20 a pop, I could buy 3 at the cost of the Rapala. Further review forthcoming.
Thx. Used my wife’s bread knife w/o her blessing. Worked good but didn't last long. In the garbage now. She hasn’t missed it yet. Glad I have an insulated doghouse!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2022, 01:46 PM »
This is my video.  It's a great knife and I highly recommend it.  It's not cheap though, but you will have it for a long time:

Thx

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2022, 01:48 PM »
We grabbed up the Bubba Pro's as soon as they came out. We've used them for everything from 20+ lb king salmon to 15" Jurassic boned half frozen crappie and everything in between, and have had no issues. I bought a spare battery and charger to make sure I always have charge. Semi-frozen fish are the worst on cordless knives, and the Pro has done the job for us. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2022, 01:53 PM »
Great video! :thumbsup:  Made me hungry..... :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Thx. Used my wife’s bread knife w/o her blessing. Worked good but didn't last long. In the garbage now. She hasn’t missed it yet. Glad I have an insulated doghouse!

Good to know. And glad about your doghouse too.  ;D

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2022, 02:43 PM »

X2, love mine

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2022, 09:21 AM »
I have 2 cordless knives.  A Bubba and an Old Timer.  I like both, but I have not used the Old Timer on bunch of fish at one time.  It does not have changeable batteries,  the knife has to be plugged in to charge it.  MR Twister blades will fit too.  I have used the Bubba multiple times on large quantities of fish and the battery lasted for about 70 fish before I changed batteries

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2022, 02:51 PM »
Bubba for me.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2022, 05:54 PM »
Was gonna pull the trigger on a Bubba Li-ion but the many bad reviews on the sticky trigger got me thinking twice. What do you guys have to say about that?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2022, 06:25 PM »
Was gonna pull the trigger on a Bubba Li-ion but the many bad reviews on the sticky trigger got me thinking twice. What do you guys have to say about that?

What do I have to say? ANYTHING  cordless will not out perform full electric. The only advantage is you can use cordless anywhere. But you still need to charge or replace batteries. I'll wait until I get somewhere to plug it in. Not that big of deal for me...soft or hardwater.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2022, 07:15 PM »
I’m pretty happy with my corded Heavy Duty Rapala. I’d buy another one if it crapped out. I just wish the cord was a little longer but that’s probably because my previous fillet knife had a real long cord.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2022, 08:29 PM »
What do I have to say? ANYTHING  cordless will not out perform full electric. The only advantage is you can use cordless anywhere. But you still need to charge or replace batteries. I'll wait until I get somewhere to plug it in. Not that big of deal for me...soft or hardwater.
I totally agree with everything you said but was asking about the sticky trigger issue. Does the battery not have enough power to release the trigger or perhaps the trigger has nothing to do with the battery.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2022, 10:17 PM »
I’m pretty happy with my corded Heavy Duty Rapala. I’d buy another one if it crapped out. I just wish the cord was a little longer but that’s probably because my previous fillet knife had a real long cord.
Real easy to splice.............mak e it as long as you like.

Online thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2022, 10:26 PM »
Geeze, that knife has the grace of a sawzall. I mean it worked, but I just don't understand why that is better than a sharp regular knife.
-Tom

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2022, 09:31 PM »
Have gone through mom's electric carving knife, mister twister, Rapala, and now Bubba cordless. The bubba is good- no trigger issue for me, but the handle is big, and the blades are so aggressive you can go through the backbone if you are not careful easier than other blades. The batteries last a good long time for me. I used the Rapala for a good long time before it burned out, so maybe once I get a few hundred more done with the bubba I will be as good, but I wish the bubba blades moved faster, like the Rapala did.
For the money, the Mister Twister was the best. $20 and years of service.

:tipup:

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2022, 04:06 PM »
Thx for the insight! Tight lines!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2022, 05:24 PM »
I like my basspro lithium

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2022, 09:53 AM »
Been using a Mr. Twister for 40 years. On the third set of blades.  Works fine for me.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2022, 10:07 AM »
My wife just got an electric knife to carve Thanksgiving turkey with, going to try it on some fish this winter, I don't see why it won't work.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2022, 11:03 AM »
My wife just got an electric knife to carve Thanksgiving turkey with, going to try it on some fish this winter, I don't see why it won't work.

It does- this is all there was before fishing specific models came out. It has no blade flex, and most blades are straight, so your technique must be different, but I filleted many panfish with one back in the day.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2022, 11:09 AM »
We have a old turkey carver that is tan and brown and its the exact same design as our mister twister knife.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2022, 04:11 PM »
Never had an issue with the trigger on my Bubba. Been using it since they came out How long ago?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.