Author Topic: Clam Legend XL vs Eskimo Wide One  (Read 5953 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Clam Legend XL vs Eskimo Wide One
« on: Sep 10, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Hi Guys,

I've never had a flip over before.  Hoping to find a used one for this season.  I'm just trying to iron out a few of the differences between these two models.  I've done a pretty extensive comparison between the Clam Legend XL, Eskimo Wide One, Otter XT Cottage, and Frabill Recruit 1250.  I have already ruled out the Otter due to weight and price and the Frabill due to issues I see with construction. 

Question on the Clam Legend XL:
1)  How easy/quick/effective is the windbreak function?  I read you need to use a spreader bar somehow to make it a wind break.  Does anyone have a video or picture of that?
2)  I saw some reviews that said 600 Denier and some that said 900 Denier.  Does anyone know when this switch occurred and if the weight increased?  600 is more than enough for me.

Question on the Eskimo Wide One:
1)  The width is listed as 52", but it seems to me the width is largest up by the spreader bar.  What is the width back where you sit?
2)  I see the seat swivels, but does it adjust front to back like the Clam one?

General Questions:
1)  Do either of these come as a non-thermal option?  I fish in Pennsylvania and we don't see too many negative digits.
2)  Which tub has more room?
3)  I assume a 27" rod will be fine in either of these?
4)  Should I look into getting a little buddy heater instead of my regular buddy heater?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Legend XL vs Eskimo Wide One
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Clam - new ones are 900d fabric with thicker insulation per their website. Previous material was thinner insulation and 600d. To windbreak you need to install a spreader bar between the top lip of the tub and 1st back bar - this is pretty common for most flips now-adays.

Eskimo - width at the seat/tub is 32"

These are totally different designs. The wide1 has poles extending from the long axis of the tub while the clam has poles extending from the short axis of the tub. The clam is similar to a Frabill Recruit. The recruit is $130 cheaper than clam

These two only come in insulated versions
Room:
Clam
Fishable Area: 16 Square Feet
Set up size: L 92" x W 44" x H 67"
Center Height: 67"
Pack Size with Seats: L 45" x W 36" x H 24"

Ekimo
FISHABLE AREA   14.8 ft²
SET-UP SIZE   52" Measured at widest part x 97" x 60.5"
HEIGHT   60.5"
SLED SIZE   50" x 32" x 10"
COLLAPSED SIZE   50" x 32" x 17"

Same weight at about 60lbs

27" rod is fine in both - the clam can fish up to a 30" rod
Any heater will work so long as it doesn't take up too much space.

Catchin' Fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Lots of YouTube videos on both models ..have you considered a non thermal 2 man ..lotsa room ..lil bigger sled and with one  seat removed it would be similar in weight to one man ..couple things to consider ..seating.. removable is nice ..can add a different portable/lighter chair or a bucket ..seat support... any bars or non removable parts can get in the way of gear storage/placement ..on the non insulated models be cognizant of the fabrics denier ..300D has lotsa wind rip/flap . Wind break positioning is very nice ..some models do not have any or a pool/brace system not a big fan of that style ..lastly Eskimo style ice anchors are a must ..EZPZ in/out  . As for insulated models ..can be nice ..especially on those days where dragging out a heater isn't quite need ..plus the extra weight of the fabric is nice for less wind flap...as for weight ..adding a Smitty sled will cure most weight issues/concerns . Tire kick some model if you can at your local retailer..note most have ship to store so less shipping cost..also easy to return if need be .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:04 PM »

Eskimo - width at the seat/tub is 32"

27" rod is fine in both - the clam can fish up to a 30" rod
Any heater will work so long as it doesn't take up too much space.

Right on!  That's what I thought I was seeing.  I like that the Clam is wider back at the seat.  I think for either I may get a Little Buddy heater instead of my Mr. Buddy.  Thanks!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:09 PM »
have you considered a non thermal 2 man ..lotsa room ..lil bigger sled and with one  seat removed it would be similar in weight to one man ..

couple things to consider ..seating.. removable is nice ..can add a different portable/lighter chair or a bucket

Tire kick some model if you can at your local retailer..note most have ship to store so less shipping cost..also easy to return if need be .

I didn't consider a non-insulated two man.  I'll look into that! 

I guess I didn't really think about the removable seat.  Could be nice for hole hopping, but I figure I can pull the sled up once I find a hole that's got fish? 

I like the idea of testing in store.  My only problem is the nearest big store would be Bass Pro or Cabelas that are like 2 hours away.  But for the cost of shipping it might be worth it.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Any Walmarts ...Dicks Sporting Goods ..Field and Stream stores ...are you near FishUSA?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:36 PM »
Any Walmarts ...Dicks Sporting Goods ..Field and Stream stores ...are you near FishUSA?

The Wal-Mart and Dicks around me didn't carry any last year.  The field and stream near me had a few hubs and some Eskimo shelters.  No Clam though.

I'm about 3.25 hours from Fish USA.  So it will likely be Overtons, Bass Pro, or Cabelas for me.  Unless I can find somewhere to ship cheaper than me driving.  I sure would like to sit in them both though.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Subscribe to all the retailers Email list for discounts and don't forget about price matching ..got some super deals with phone and chat funtions at DSG .PM SENT.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2019, 02:41 PM »
If it were me, I'd go for the Eskimo just because of the seat. I prefer the new mesh style seat as opposed to the Clam Seat.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2019, 02:48 PM »
If it were me, I'd go for the Eskimo just because of the seat. I prefer the new mesh style seat as opposed to the Clam Seat.

Really?  I was giving Clam the advantage in seats because it was padded.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Yes! I prefer the mesh seats. I actually have a Clam flip-over and bought an aftermarket mesh seat and made the upgrade. The mesh style seat actually suspends and almost "cradles" your butt. Much more comfortable in my opinion. After I tried it, I was SOLD!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2019, 04:05 PM »
My clam scout thermal xl has a mesh seat.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2019, 07:20 PM »
I bought the eskimo wide one last year very happy with it. A small heater is more then enough in it.

I’m bias anymore I guess. Seen way to many issues with clam and quality. Otter has the best quality, and eskimo seems to be the best value when going price/value.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2019, 06:46 AM »
My clam scout thermal xl has a mesh seat.

I didn't know Clam made them with a mesh seat- all I've seen is the padded seat. How do you like it?
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2019, 06:58 AM »
I didn't know Clam made them with a mesh seat- all I've seen is the padded seat. How do you like it?
i havent put the shelter together yet.lol the seat looks great and should be comfortable with the webbing/mesh.its alot bigger than clams padded seat also.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2019, 07:03 AM »
Oh, OK. I thought you'd be sitting out in your driveway like me trying it out!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2019, 07:13 AM »
Oh, OK. I thought you'd be sitting out in your driveway like me trying it out!  ;D
need to get it put together soon.its a total upgrade over my fx100.no more sitting in a trashbag in the wind.lol

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Has anyone had a problem on the Eskimo with that bottom extending bar (push button bar that sits on the ice) freezing up while on the ice?  Do you have to retract that bar to move, or can you flip it up and drag with that bar extended?

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:09 AM »
I think I might be leaning toward the Legend XL for the additional room.

Here's a link to video of a guy sitting in an Eskimo Wide One.  That looks a little cramped to me.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNPlOj5vKU

Here's a link to a video of a guy sitting in a Legend XL.  Looks like he has more room back at the seat.  Plus a taller ceiling height.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceJExPv7_0g

Now maybe these guys aren't quite the same size but close enough for comparison I think.  This backs up what Matzilla said.

With the added elbow room, ceiling height, and built-in light bar the Clam is currently in the lead for me.  So who lives within a few hours of State College, PA and is going to sell me their used one?!?!?!?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:20 AM »
My bro in law has the eskimo and the other bro in law just got the clam legend last year.the legend is a huge 1 man flip!only thing i dont like about it is the poles extend to set up.the eskimo is alot lower profile and have to duck down low to get in it.you can almost stand up in the legend.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:48 AM »
My bro in law has the eskimo and the other bro in law just got the clam legend last year.the legend is a huge 1 man flip!only thing i dont like about it is the poles extend to set up.the eskimo is alot lower profile and have to duck down low to get in it.you can almost stand up in the legend.

Solid information Dr. Speckler!  I'm 6'4".  I think this pushes me further toward the Legend XL side of things.  Thanks.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2019, 03:07 PM »
for comparison sake - the legend xl and frabill recruit are huge 1 mans...I've fished 2 out of mine

Catchin' Fish

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2019, 10:12 PM »

the mesh chair was only offered one or two years on the Scout houses. there was a issue with the very first run where the mesh pulled out of the frame but that was replaced with in the first or second week of being released. the mesh seat is still offered as a replacement part but is currently out of stock. here is the link for it.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/mesh-folding-seat.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2019, 10:27 PM »
so one thing that wasn't said about the Legend XL is the inside of the tub is a light gray color so it is easier to see your gear in the tub especially if you drop something like a small jig into it. as for the change to the 900 Denier fabric that happened two seasons ago. 900 is now the standard unless you get into the larger Clam houses then you get into 1200 and 1800 denier fabric. new this year is a hexagon quilting pattern in the tent. also to clear up any possible misunderstanding there is two models of the Legend XL.  the regular non Ice Team model does not come with the light bar and battery bracket and corner console and travel cover but the Ice Team model does. beside the accessories the only other difference between the two models is the look and color of the tent. neither of them come with a runner kit so you would need to get that for either one if you wanted to add that. if you find a non Ice Team regular model that has the accessories and does not have the hexagon pattern fabric on the tent it is a carry over from last season.

here is the link to the non Ice Team model :

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/legend-xl-thermal.html

here is the link for the Ice Team model :

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/legend-xl-thermal-ice-team-edition.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2019, 11:45 AM »
the regular non Ice Team model does not come with the light bar and battery bracket and corner console and travel cover but the Ice Team model does. beside the accessories the only other difference between the two models is the look and color of the tent.

Thanks for the clarification!  Watching YouTube I thought they both came with the light bar/battery bracket.  Good to know!  I think I actually like the look of the regular better.  haha.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2019, 12:25 PM »
for comparison sake - the legend xl and frabill recruit are huge 1 mans...I've fished 2 out of mine

Thanks for the pics!  I saw a video review and a guy pointed out some design flaws that turned me off of this one.  So I think I'll stick with the Clam or Eskimo.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2019, 01:13 PM »
the mesh chair was only offered one or two years on the Scout houses. there was a issue with the very first run where the mesh pulled out of the frame but that was replaced with in the first or second week of being released. the mesh seat is still offered as a replacement part but is currently out of stock. here is the link for it.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/mesh-folding-seat.html

Thanks for the info!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 13, 2019, 06:45 AM »
I've been using the Eskimo wide one for about 4 years, it is nice, built good, fabric is thick and durable mesh seat is very comfy! but the spreader bar in the front constantly freezes open and its a pain to close it sometimes. it has plenty of room for two holes a heater and a bucket. Headroom is another draw back, im only 5' 8" and its too short for me.

They say the best one-man flip over is a two man so I purchased a 2 man Eskimo sierra thermal this year and its not much heavier than the Wide one... But I tow mine with a 4-wheeler so weight is not an issue.

Just my .02

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 13, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Thanks for the pics!  I saw a video review and a guy pointed out some design flaws that turned me off of this one.  So I think I'll stick with the Clam or Eskimo.

dont trust videos of people who give opinions of products they've never used or have only used once - if you see someone giving a review of something as they take it out of the box, they aren't very qualified to give it a review. I've beat the hell out of mine, 0 problems or concerns. If you watch amazon you can get in on one for 300 or less shipped to your door

Catchin' Fish

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Sep 13, 2019, 12:56 PM »
I bought a Wide one last year and love it.  With my mr buddy, helix and drilled hole, perfect size when it is expanded.  My buddy has a Kenai and has to put his heater in the tub.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.