The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2011 Burbot Bash  (Read 3347 times)

Offline 307FISHERMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
2011 Burbot Bash
« on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Anyone doing the Burbot Bash? I'm trying to put together a team...

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2011 Burbot Bash
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:59 PM »
I wouldnt mind doing it but I do not know much about catching them

Offline 307FISHERMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Fish for them from sun down to sun up is the best....glow in the dark jigs with sucker meat!!! Where are you from?

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I am from casper

Offline 307FISHERMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:37 PM »
You know the derby is a week long right?

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:39 PM »
I wouldnt mind doing it but I do not know much about catching them

Here is a very entertaining video that will get you started http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GoLWt6iGE
 ;)

Offline wyofisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:09 PM »
We went out and caught 13 ling and missed about thirty more it seems like. We found that fishing around cliffs has been more productive. Is there any other ways besides using glow in the dark jigs that work also? 307fisherman count me in i will get ahold of u later on.

Offline 307FISHERMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:44 PM »
Sounds good wyofisherman!!! I want to win this thing ;D

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Here is a very entertaining video that will get you started http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GoLWt6iGE
 ;)

That guy that made the comment about " I made that mistake once, stuck my hand down a big one's mouth."   :cookoo: Why its nothing but a love bite ???

Sorry to see you guys gotta kill em and can't release ???

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:34 PM »
You don't have to release them but it is kind of an unspoken rule here. (There is no limit on how many you can keep)They are not native to this drainage and were illegally introduced and kind of taking over several lakes. Look for some really big ones to come out of Flaming Gorge in years to come.

Offline FordPrefect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:07 PM »
We went out and caught 13 ling and missed about thirty more it seems like. We found that fishing around cliffs has been more productive. Is there any other ways besides using glow in the dark jigs that work also? 307fisherman count me in i will get ahold of u later on.

I had this same problem Sunday night.  Was fishing around Buckboard, I iced 10 burbot, and 2 lakers.  Seems like I missed twice as many as I caught.  I've been wondering about using a treble hook.  How would I rig a 3" tube jig with a treble hook?  Was thinking of tieing it so it hangs right inside of the "tenticles" of the jig.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Maybe make yourself a leader. Tie on a treble on a couple feet of line. Then put a split shot or some kind of sinker where you want the head of the jig to be. Poke a little hole on top of the tube jig and just slide it down the line and onto the split shot. then just you're leader back onto your line or attach a swivel.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
Burbot Bash Updates
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:28 PM »
From WYIfish: The pressure ridges need special care.   Food will be for sale. Store had booze, there will be a few exhibits.

BRING ICE CREEEPERS AS THE ICE IS VERY VERY SLICK. The store will be sold out of theirs by noon tomorrow if not sooner.

Again, ice pressure ridges need special caution. We saw open water in half a dozen spots.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: Burbot Bash Updates
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:29 PM »
The games start around 11 AM with registration.  Actual fishing starts as 5 pm not 4 pm as rumor has it.

Again, the ice is a concern, it's generally 8 inches thick, but really be extra careful with the pressure ridges.  I would recommend bringing along a 2 x 6 to use as a bridge if the foot wide crack opens up.

Expect strong winds tomorrow as well.

The buckboard store has some items, including two ice shelters.  Don't count on them too much as they only stock so much.  They do sell gorge passes (the forest service has waved the pass for the event)and licences.  The registration building will have state regulations
There will be door prizes..

Don't kill anyone with the little ball bats being given out to the teams.

I don't know if they have for sale the black hoodies with the burbot bash logo's on them. If not, the workers will be wearing them.  With the wind and ice conditions, it may be as much fun to show up for the party, fish later in the week, and hang out, no registration required!

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 32. Wind chill values as low as -10. Windy, with a west northwest wind between 24 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.