The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fort Peck Lake  (Read 2008 times)

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fort Peck Lake
« on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:04 PM »
Hello Montana,

My brother and I are contemplating a soft water fishing trip down to Fort Peck in the fall of 2018. We are just in the research phase of planning our trip. It is about a 6 hour drive from our home town of Saskatoon SK Can. Our thought is to stay in Glasgow for a few nights spend the days fishing. From the research we have done on the internet there seems to be many species of fish in the lake with lake trout and bass being our target species.

The few questions I would like to put out there are.

1. It is a very large body of water, so knowing the species we would like to target, would there be chance of success fishing the northern half or the southern half? If the southern half would prove to be more productive, we could plan on maybe staying somewhere other than Glasgow. Any suggestions of other places to stay?

2. Are there any reasonable cabin or cottages to rent  right on the lake? Any stories or experiences to share?

3. Are there any other smaller lakes in the north eastern region of Montana that might be a choice for us to research other than Fort Peck that would be good for bass or lake trout?

Thanks

Dkruks

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fort Peck Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Its more divided into East (dam end), Dry Arm/Rock Creek,  Central (Hell Creek, Fourchette, Bonetrail ) and West end around UL bend and Crooked Creek.  Walleye and lakers around Duck Creek if you are driving down from Glasgow. Or you can stay at Lakeside by the dam.  Crooked Creek  has great pre-spawn walleye, perch, cats, crappie and pike. Hell Creek has cabins and is good for walleye, lakers, perch and pike...especially pike later this month as they come shallow pre spawn. Dry Arm gets better toward later in Feb as the big walleyes move down to get ready.  Be ready to move around alot and always drop heavy jigging spoons into and around suspended ciscos. You can hang big walleyes pike and lakers that sit right under the suspended bait balls. That means anything from 20-50 feet down over a hundred feet of water at times. Or as most folks do, set up on points and breaks in 15-30 ft. We like Hell Creek a lot this time of year. 

Good luck.

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:04 PM »
Like we get said it’s more of an east to west divide when it comes to the lake. You can catch nice bass anywhere on the lake if you’re in the right place but lake trout would be better up by the dam. Also fall is a good time for big salmon along the dam so that may be your best bet. Lakeridge has cabins and minnows and if it were me coming down, that’s where I’d go.
     The only downfall to planning a trip to peck is that you can’t predict the weather. The wind can turn a choice of going fishing or not into committing suicide or living. I’ve taken time off to go up for a week and left after 3 days of sitting out the wind.

Offline sbschindler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:47 PM »
if you were to stay at the lakeridge cabins, Eddie Mindt will give you all the pointers you need to catch fish, BUT make reservations early they book up fast for fall fishing

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply's, all good stuff!

dkruks

Offline deadstick81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:41 PM »
x2 on lakeridge but there are the dredge cuts , nelson dredge if u get blown off the big lake and both as mentioned have been very good the last few years

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.