The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2011 Tackle Shoppin (MiZooLA)  (Read 1671 times)

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
2011 Tackle Shoppin (MiZooLA)
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:55 PM »
So, I went to Whole Sale Sports tonite to gather this season's necessities. There's two reasons I really dislike shoppin there and the first reason is the high prices. The second bein the lack of selection.

My question to you Missoula locals is this, where did/ do you purchase the bulk of your lures, jigs, attractors, etc?

I never hit the other stores in Missoula, because I HATE drivin around through all the traffic and dealin with the stupid people of that Hole. Whole Sale sports is closest to my work, but officially at the BOTTOM of my list.

I typically look for Swedish Pimples, Rat Finkees, Shrimpos, Chubby Darters, etc. Any input would be appreciated.

See you on the ice!

Pyro 
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
Re: 2011 Tackle Shoppin (MiZooLA)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:18 PM »
It's even worse when you live in Hamilton!  I get a couple things each year at Wholesale, just noticed the other day they had some Jammin Jigs on the fishing counter so I picked some up.  I get a couple of things here at Bob Wards in Ham-town.  The best thing I found last year, was getting the 10% off at Snappy's in Kalispell the night before the Perch Assault.  I stocked up there last year since they have one of the best selections I've seen for jigs and such.  Also did a little ordering from FishUSA online.  Hopefully my order from Jada Baits is going to be here this week too.  Let's hit up some ice and we can b!#$% about the lack of ice fishing stuff locally.
  BE THERE!

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:22 PM »
I really like Snappy's! When we lived in Bigfork, I spent as much time there as I did on the ice! Anytime we even get to Polson, I make the trip to Snappy's.

When ever you want to meet on the ice, drop me a line.  ;D

Pyro
Those were the days.

Those were the days

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Funny thread...I just got back from Wholesale as well. Small pocket of Ice tackle...I ended up buying a jig rod combo for 13 bucks because I liked the rod best...Pretty sure the dog will get the reel for christmas. It is some wacky red Shakespeare but has the action I want without being 45 bucks for the "Bro" rod by Frabill...

Locally is even tougher as HV said here in the Root.

To answer the question...I do the bulk of my shopping on the net...ebay is LOADED with ice tackle and one can usually find a seller using free shipping as incentive to go with solid pricing...Also Amazon pools a handful of vendors, with FishUSA being one of their mainstays.  I buy a lot of jigs from custom jigs n spins directly from their site. Kodiak Jigs (the former fishyum.com)  used to have a great store but they are shut down for some reason.

BUT as always, there seems to be something I have to have before tomorrows outing that just cant wait.

I look forward to checking out snappys some day, I have read good things here and heard word of mouth from a few that it is a solid outfit.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Preaching to the choir Pyro. It sucks. They know it sucks though but it sounds like their hands are tied. Bob Wards is a waste of time too. Garts used to have so gear. Everyone in awhile Walmart and Kmart have some useful stuff.  Best bet is to hit Snappy's or online. Reeds and Thornes are tough to beat.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Snappys is a store with a lot of decent selection and is also WAY overpriced. Since all the stores in Montana carry very little I shop online mostly. Scheels in Great Falls although has a decent selection and doesn't gouge to bad, at least not in past years.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:59 PM »
It sucks, but I had to resort to getting most of my stuff online.  I am usually ordering hunting gear during the fall, so i try to add various ice fishing gear to my orders to add to my collection.  I got tired of waiting for wholesale to get their crap together.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:44 PM »
Hey Pyro, Wholesale is really not that bad.  They have pretty good sales after Christmas.  Or, at least they did.  Imagine living in Great Falls and having to go to Scheels (way overpriced) or Big Bear (even less selection.)  I bought an Eskimo Quick Flip 2 at Wholesale for around 240 bucks.  I have also found good deals on tip-ups.  Internet can be good, but shipping can add up quick.

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:00 AM »
Hey Pyro, Wholesale is really not that bad.  They have pretty good sales after Christmas.  Or, at least they did.  Imagine living in Great Falls and having to go to Scheels (way overpriced) or Big Bear (even less selection.)  I bought an Eskimo Quick Flip 2 at Wholesale for around 240 bucks.  I have also found good deals on tip-ups.  Internet can be good, but shipping can add up quick.

I did notice they had a Quick Fish 3 for a good deal, but I already have one. I'm interested in jigs mostly. Their selection last nite was less than acceptable! Three colors of #12 Rat Finkees, REALLY? When it was Sportsman's, I could buy any size and any color, at anytime of the season.

Pyro
Those were the days.

Those were the days

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:06 AM »
If you get a chance to go to the Dakotas in the fall (pheasant hunting) stop at the Scheels and Gander mountain and the ice fishing selections are awesome.This past fall Gander mountain had a great bargain bin of Northland jigs and stuff at ridicules prices.Also I order tackle from Thorne Bros. in MN if it has to do with ice fishing they have it.Hope this helps and see you on the ice.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:13 AM »
I think all the ice fishing stuff is pretty expensive due to it's seasonal nature.  Deals can be had though.  I always hold out until they are putting out spring inventories and getting rid of the winter gear.  Lot's of half off deals.
No mention of the Rocky Mountain Supply or Silos in townsend, still expensive, but better selection than most for southwest MT when you want to put your paws on something.
I buy some online but shipping KILLS, especially on bait.  I bought a seasons supply of mags and mealworms and most of the cost was shipping, that burns.  (so does buying a tube at the gas station for a couple bucks and half the mags are dead)

Looked again and saw MiZoola so that explains no mention of townsend!
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:41 AM »
I think all the ice fishing stuff is pretty expensive due to it's seasonal nature.  Deals can be had though.  I always hold out until they are putting out spring inventories and getting rid of the winter gear.  Lot's of half off deals.
No mention of the Rocky Mountain Supply or Silos in townsend, still expensive, but better selection than most for southwest MT when you want to put your paws on something.
I buy some online but shipping KILLS, especially on bait.  I bought a seasons supply of mags and mealworms and most of the cost was shipping, that burns.  (so does buying a tube at the gas station for a couple bucks and half the mags are dead)

Looked again and saw MiZoola so that explains no mention of townsend!

Where are you ordering bait from?  I just ordered 1000 spikes for $14.50 and free shipping from Jada Bait online.  If I bought that same amount from Bob Wards in Hamilton, at 80 spikes/pack it would cost $25.  Didn't think that was too bad of a deal.  They also sell waxies at Jada.
  BE THERE!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:49 AM »
Funny thread...I just got back from Wholesale as well. Small pocket of Ice tackle...I ended up buying a jig rod combo for 13 bucks because I liked the rod best...Pretty sure the dog will get the reel for christmas. It is some wacky red Shakespeare but has the action I want without being 45 bucks for the "Bro" rod by Frabill...

Locally is even tougher as HV said here in the Root.

To answer the question...I do the bulk of my shopping on the net...ebay is LOADED with ice tackle and one can usually find a seller using free shipping as incentive to go with solid pricing...Also Amazon pools a handful of vendors, with FishUSA being one of their mainstays.  I buy a lot of jigs from custom jigs n spins directly from their site. Kodiak Jigs (the former fishyum.com)  used to have a great store but they are shut down for some reason.

BUT as always, there seems to be something I have to have before tomorrows outing that just cant wait.

I look forward to checking out snappys some day, I have read good things here and heard word of mouth from a few that it is a solid outfit.

Shakespeare Fuel?...I have 2. Best pannie rods I own. Don't give the reels to the dog, they're actually pretty good. No issues in the 3 years I've had 'em... (Didn't mean to hijack the thread)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Ya know, yes Snappy's can be a bit over priced BUT, at least I can look at a really good selection of tackle and guessing sizes gets to be a bit tough online. I like their selection and show me another store that offers the clinics and resources that Snappy's does without driving all over God's green earth at $3.40 a gallon. Chancy, who runs the fishing dept, is a fanatic when it comes to fishing and knows his stuff. I believe in supporting local businesses as much as possible. Still there are times I have to go elsewhere to get what I want (as opposed to what I need? ha!). Just my four cents worth..........

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Shakespeare Fuel?...I have 2. Best pannie rods I own. Don't give the reels to the dog, they're actually pretty good. No issues in the 3 years I've had 'em... (Didn't mean to hijack the thread)

Yup thats the one...I left the reel on and will fish with it before the pitbull gets it in her stocking. Maybe she will not get it... ;)

Love the action on the rod.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Where are you ordering bait from?  I just ordered 1000 spikes for $14.50 and free shipping from Jada Bait online.  If I bought that same amount from Bob Wards in Hamilton, at 80 spikes/pack it would cost $25.  Didn't think that was too bad of a deal.  They also sell waxies at Jada.
I don't remember now.   It was a pet supply shop.  I thought I had checked out Jada after some reading on here.  I honestly cant remember why I went with the other.  I remember the shipping was so expensive because my order was "live" so they had to make it fast shipping.  I'll have to give them a shot though if the shipping was free.  I bought like 2000 or so mags, maybe more and about 500 mealworms and another 500 waxies but my invoice was crazy so I really didn't want to do it again.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:02 PM »
I do alot on the net for gear.E bay can be a great place on big lots of stuff. I do use stores when I get to them but it's mostly one or two things.Big R in Great Falls gets alot ofmy money and whne he has stuff the guy at sunshine auto.
BBJ

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:19 PM »
It sucks, but I had to resort to getting most of my stuff online.  I am usually ordering hunting gear during the fall, so i try to add various ice fishing gear to my orders to add to my collection.  I got tired of waiting for wholesale to get their crap together.
preach it snappys is real bad i found a buzz bomb there for 5 bucks got the exact same one from sportsmens for 2 buck pretty pathetic

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.