Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 433958 times)

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #480 on: Dec 28, 2008, 05:56 AM »
Hope the fishing picks up for you guys up there... I can't believe you guys have 16 inches of ice, we are still stuck around 6-8inches or so...
Pool 9 Pro

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #481 on: Dec 28, 2008, 06:55 AM »
I just hope the bite picks up. I have all of next week off and want to come up but don't really want to drive 180 mi round trip to get skunked, not looking to load a bucket but a few to bring home would be nice.

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #482 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:18 PM »
Are we driving on CL still after yesterday and today?  I would like to come up Friday and fish but want to be able to drive my 1/2 Chevy on the ice.  How much ice is there?  Edges around here were open today.  Anything biting?  It's about a 240 MI roundtrip for me.
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #483 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Nothings biting its pretty slow. 12-15 inches in most common areas.

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #484 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:38 PM »
ya it pretty much sucks, ive been all over the lake in the last few days and not catching to many fish. Im amost out of places to try.

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #485 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:39 PM »
just wondering if anyone has tried the little lake the middle or east end? I was ot there on the four wheeler today and didnt spot anyholes.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #486 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Channel was fair early ice but that was back in late Nov marked some deeper than usual water there due to dredging.  Kinda have stayed away from there since we got the house out.  Heard of a 20+ft hole in the little lake too.  Could be heresy though.  I hear ya on running out of spots. :-\

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #487 on: Dec 29, 2008, 12:27 PM »
I moved one of my shacks to the state dock yesterday, im runnin out of ideas ive got shacks everywhere but non are producing anyfish.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #488 on: Dec 29, 2008, 01:50 PM »
Were in almost 18 ft off the island havent marked many.  Goin over there to move her in shallower 13-14 foot closer to the rocks at least.  I know one thing she aint producing deep.

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #489 on: Dec 29, 2008, 02:09 PM »
We moved one shack from theeast side yestrday to the east and its the same on both sides. nothing

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #490 on: Dec 29, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Man I sure hope something changes cuz I wuz there the entire weekend all over from Farmers to the South & the east and only got four dink eyes.  Still a great experience for a southerner.  The way you all have your shanties out made me feel like i was really in a great spot for fishing.  Thanks for the tips and hospitality Buster.  Hope you and your pals have better luck in the weeks to come.  I am just hopin to have ice for the weeks to come :'(

Peace,

Cris

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #491 on: Dec 30, 2008, 10:18 AM »
No prob man.  Its always good meeting fellow members...  To bad we didnt catch supper. :laugh:

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #492 on: Dec 30, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Atleast I wasn't the only one that didnt catch any last week.  I made the trip up from Des Moines kind of on my way home to NW Ia last Wednesday morning.  Fished from 6 am to about 9 am, and marked a few but didn't get one bite.  Changed to every color and presentation I could think of,  used minnows, minnow heads, and waxies.  Agressive jigging, soft jigging, and no jigging and nothing.    I guess I won't be making the trip back for a day this weekend if this keeps up.

Offline wallyhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing better than floppin' fish on the ice!
« Reply #493 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Thanks for the updates!

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #494 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:39 PM »
I got a pretty detailed map ofthe little lake today from a dredger. It has all the contours of where they have dredged.

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #495 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:14 AM »
Bob32

I take it they have more dredging to do again next season?

whip2

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #496 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Went last nite moved into 12 f.o.w off the island.  Marked a few early on in the nite 4-5 fish but couldnt get them to bite.  Left at about 730 highly discouraged.  Ive only caught 4-5 keepers through the ice this year and have been out almost everyday!  Shes been a tough nut to crack.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #497 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:41 PM »
My son said he had a HUGE musky on yesterday. He put his tip up on clear ice and said he could see it under the ice when he got it up to the hole, but then lost it trying to get it through the hole.  >:(

I believe you met him Crappiebuster, his shack is over by yours. He said he stopped in and had a few beers with you.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #498 on: Dec 31, 2008, 02:22 PM »
Yep and some Cusana Rojo.  We didnt eat the worm though. :laugh:

Glad he had a biggun on to bad he didnt get him. :(

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #499 on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:10 PM »
yes they have some more dredging to do. Mostly the south half of the lake is dredged alone with the northwest corner.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #500 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Hey guys, are the yellows still biting? haven't been up for a couple of weeks.  I have some cousins in town from florida who've never been ice fishing and was wanting to get them on some fish. 

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #501 on: Jan 02, 2009, 11:51 PM »
no fishing sucks, its been slow for a bit.theres so many people in the spots that its lke driving through a maze to get to your shack, and the lake is pretty rough

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #502 on: Jan 03, 2009, 07:08 AM »
Thanks Bob32

I sure wish they could sneak their way towards the boat ramp at Macintosh so that isn't so shallow but probably not possible.

whip2

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #503 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Buddy was up to Clear Lake yesterday.  Not sure where he was fishing but they fished from 3pm till 7pm.  They kept 23 yellows.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #504 on: Jan 04, 2009, 01:37 AM »
fished this morning from 8:00 till 2:00 we had 2 tents 4 guy.  Bite was slow till about 9:30 then one tent caught about 20 in and hour and a half while our tent had 1 (yellows)  We moved a couple times short distances without marking anything and finally drilled a few holes next to my bros tent from noon till 2 we had 17 more yellows on the ice in our tent while theres slowed 30 ft away.  Fished with the aqua-view only today next to my buddies fl-20 and saw several nice walleye on the camera with some cigars mixed in and managed a cigar and a healthy 16" eye.  Day was a little slow orverall but managed a  couple good meals, yellows were finicky camera definitely helped on the bite.......... it was nice to see some eyes though hopefully they will pick up soon! Thats all I know   tight lines boys!! 8)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #505 on: Jan 04, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Weve been putting a hurt on the yellows.  And have been starting to get into the eyes also.  Thought there wasnt any left in the lake.  But they finnaly found our shack. ;D

Offline birdiglfr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #506 on: Jan 04, 2009, 10:17 PM »
I don't know what we've been doing wrong but we cant seem to get more that a dozen or so per trip.  We were there a week ago for one small yellow.  Almost not worth the 70 mile trip.  Saturday we had thee bite pick up for us.  They bit really well for almost a half hour.  We caught about 15 or so but they were'nt very good sized.  By about 8:30 AM the bite was over.  We stayed for about three more hours without even a nibble.  We must be in the wrong location, we were on the west end of all the shanties by Dodges point.  Has anyone been fishing the new deep holes in the little lake yet.  I think thats where i might try it next trip, it can't be any worse than the last couple attempts! :icefish:

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #507 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:58 AM »
Ive fished the little lake a few times this year.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #508 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:03 AM »
Yellows school up you find the school you find them and then find some structure they hold over youve got it.  Weve been doing pretty darn good the past 4-5 days on the west end over rocks in 8 f.o.w.

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #509 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:47 AM »
i havent tried the west end yet. have fished the middle and the east end in the deep water, ive got a map of where they have dredged and i think this week i will goout and hit some of the deep holes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.