The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Genera Info on Lake Dunmore  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Bnjmnlau

• IceShanty Rookie
Genera Info on Lake Dunmore
« on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Anyone have any basic intel on fishing Lake Dunmore? Ice conditions, good access points, anything helps! Hoping to target lakers but have also heard of browns and bows being caught through the ice there.

Offline Jigern

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Genera Info on Lake Dunmore
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:06 PM »
State park Branbury beach is nice and plowed. If you have a flasher or sonar look for the clouds of smelt and jig above them. I marked many many large fish today and couldn’t make it happen. Had about 10 inches of ice, didn’t go too far off the shore maybe 2-300 feet. Wasn’t fun walking in 1.5 feet of snow. That’s all I got, good luck!

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:06 AM »
is there pike near Branbury acess or are they mainly in the southern end of the lake?
Fish on

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:45 AM »
is there pike near Branbury acess or are they mainly in the southern end of the lake?
I can tell you from experience that pike on Dunmore can show up just about anywhere. My two best (12# and 14#) came from water over 30' deep. One was on a dead smelt right on bottom. The other on a medium shiner set just under the ice for salmon/rainbows. My guess is that the pike cruise the deeper water in search of trout and salmon. If it were me, I'd find a weedy shoreline, structure, or point close to deeper water and cover multiple depths. Plan on putting in some time if you want a bruiser. They are there but they don't come easy.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Ive found them more regularly on the south end but they can be caught anywhere on the lake. Just south of the island has always produced well for me Good luck.

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:38 AM »
thanks for the advice- headed down there this weekend.  we're going to try branbury access and set up for everything
Fish on

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2019, 12:27 PM »
how crowded is it right now?  is there a shanty town?
Fish on

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:29 AM »
Well it will be crowded this weekend as it is there annual derby. If i were you i would pick a diff weekend to try it unless u wanna join the derby. It’s usually quite a zoo!!

Offline Mad Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Never fished there, but planning on going up sometime.  I think I read on here  last winter that there is a nasty spring to the left of the park. Anyone have any input?

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:14 PM »
Never fished there, but planning on going up sometime.  I think I read on here  last winter that there is a nasty spring to the left of the park. Anyone have any input?

If you access from the state park and venture south toward the brook there are a couple of springs. I think they are over shallow water, but not sure. I remember fishing one year late season(March) and noticed one opened up which I didn't see a couple weeks prior.

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:39 AM »
Last year there was a cone marking it, over towards Sucker Brook there's a gazebo that's sort of in line with it. If you're heading south, just walk out to the west for a bit before turning left and you'll be fine.

Offline Mad Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Good luck to everyone this weekend

Offline kej06181

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Any Updates on conditions at Dunmore? Assuming the ice is pretty solid still. More curious about all this snow. Has it made a mess of things?

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:35 AM »
I was out there when the snow started. 12-14” of good ice but im guessing theres 8ish” of snow on top. Hoping for a lil rain to beat it down and harden up hopefully. Alot people pulling shanties off saying the fishing has sucked. May be out this weekend and will update

Offline kej06181

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Thanks for the info, Appreciate the response! Was debating heading out there this weekend.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:51 PM »
I should’ve mentioned also ive only been on the southern end  this year. I know there is good ice all over the lake but cant verify thickness north of the island

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2019, 04:04 PM »
North of sucker brook probably had 10-12" on Saturday.. just be careful around the brook with the open water. I've been twice and only seen a ton of smelt, everywhere I went. And some tiny perch. I've had some laker chases but haven't landed any. Buddy and his friend's caught some nice lakers.

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:19 AM »
How is Dunmore ice this week ?  Seems like there's been enough cold it should be good even with all the new snow... are the springs near Sucker Brook still open ?  marked ?

Offline LakerTim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:51 AM »
The shantys are slowly coming off from the brook area. I was just up there on my 4 wheeler checking my bait box on the opposite shore of the brook.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Ice should be fine. Not much snow stuck to it from the last storm pretty much bare ice again. Still 12” on the south end

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2023, 08:51 AM »
Hey guys gonna jump into an old thread here but gonna be in Rutland this weekend looking at lake dunnmore what’s the ice looking like and how has the bite been up there

Offline WardenAL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2023, 04:15 PM »
I drove by Saturday and saw two guys fishing the east side of the lake. Not sure what they had for ice.

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2023, 05:22 PM »
I drove by Saturday and saw two guys fishing the east side of the lake. Not sure what they had for ice.

What’s in there to catch? I would assume lakers with the depth

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:38 AM »
Yep there’s lakers In Dunmore. Also salmon bass pike perch smelt catfish all kinds of stuff. Can be a tricky place to fish with some very slow days. I don’t know about the ice. I do know they canceled their annual derby due to bad conditions and that my brother in law was out there about a week ago and didn’t care for the ice said he wouldn’t be going back. I don’t personally know how much ice there is but I would be very cautious as most of the water bodies in our area froze very late if at all and we have had a lot of rain and warm temps recently. I would say the southern end would be your safer bet but it’s Not very deep however parking is pretty limited if you don’t know anyone on that end of the lake.  There are a few springs along the road side just south of keewayden campground to look out for if you try to fish the northern end. I would also avoid anything near sucker Brook. Honestly I wouldn’t suggest going out there at this point at all but if you do be very careful and good luck

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:08 AM »
Yep there’s lakers In Dunmore. Also salmon bass pike perch smelt catfish all kinds of stuff. Can be a tricky place to fish with some very slow days. I don’t know about the ice. I do know they canceled their annual derby due to bad conditions and that my brother in law was out there about a week ago and didn’t care for the ice said he wouldn’t be going back. I don’t personally know how much ice there is but I would be very cautious as most of the water bodies in our area froze very late if at all and we have had a lot of rain and warm temps recently. I would say the southern end would be your safer bet but it’s Not very deep however parking is pretty limited if you don’t know anyone on that end of the lake.  There are a few springs along the road side just south of keewayden campground to look out for if you try to fish the northern end. I would also avoid anything near sucker Brook. Honestly I wouldn’t suggest going out there at this point at all but if you do be very careful and good luck

Is there any other lakes in the area for lakers? Or do you know how ice on chittenden is

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2023, 08:53 AM »
I agree with above, north half of dunmore would be risky.....I don't think I seen much of anyone setting up this year on the north half, just a couple trucks in the access when I drive by. It was looking thin during the warmup.

The only other local lake with Lakers would be sunset lake in Benson and that doesn't freeze well in good years, lots of springs and the Lakers run small. Chittenden dam would be a safer bet, higher elevation and has been locked for awhile. Expect some fresh snow to contend with, I think the higher elevations may see a foot by the weekend.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2023, 09:08 AM »
I agree with fish farmer. Chittenden may be your best bet. A friend of mine was there last weekend and reported 8/9” of good ice however there was an equal amount of snow on top and we have a fair bit predicted to come over night tonight into tomorrow. It’s been a bad winter for outdoor activity for sure, especially ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.